CHAPTER 14

THIRTY EIGHT DAYS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Fourteen

 

HYOYEON

 

Did I just?

 

The thought had been replaying constantly through Hyoyeon’s mind for most of the

afternoon. He couldn’t believe what he did and he was sure Taeyeon couldn’t either.

 

Did I regret it? No. Was it too soon? Hell yeah!

 

The way Taeyeon told her story was like she was reliving it, every emotion-filled word and that lone tear killed him. The way she just lost herself in her story was something he’ll never forget. He wanted her happy not reliving the terrible events of her life. Hyoyeon wasn’t sure if he, himself, was able to keep it together, how she was able to, he didn’t know.

 

The water in the pot started to boil and Hyoyeon placed the pasta in it and stirred.

He wasn’t sure what time Taeyeon would be home. He should have asked before he left but it never crossed his mind. All he could think about was how she fit so perfectly in his hands, the smoothness of her skin and the blush that he saw creep her face. Why he kissed her forehead he didn’t know. Hyoyeon felt it was the right thing to do, he was pushing a boundary but he didn’t care. He wanted to take away her pain, only him.

 

He was meant to take care of her not the other way round. Hyoyeon thought about the way her left hand rested on his cheek. It caused his heart, and his breathing to stop in its place. Placing his hand over hers was purely instinctive, so when he looked into her eyes he knew he could feel something between them.

 

Whether or not she felt what he felt was something he didn’t know but when he looked into her eyes he saw something, a future.

 

A future with Taeyeon?

 

That was something he never considered. Did he even want something with her? She was Sooyoung’s little sister, the possibility of them even being together for now was ridiculous. So a future was just out of the question. Hyoyeon shook the thought away. He would never have a future with Choi Taeyeon.

 

It was just a stupid spur of the moment thought that was definitely in the heat of the moment. Lost in those golden brown eyes, they could make any man think ridiculous and unrealistic thoughts. The sound of Hyoyeon’s phone pulled him out from his cloud of thoughts. He picked it up, saw the caller I.D and swiped to answer.

 

“Hey,” he simply greeted.

“Hi! So ... TELL ME!” she shouted through the speaker.

 

No small talk then? Man, this girl cuts to the chase!

 

“First, how are you doing? I saw that look on your face earlier today.”

“Do we really have to talk about me right now?” she asked back in a huff.

"Yes we do, I want to. So come on Tiffany, talk!” he encouraged as he added salt to his pasta sauce.

“No, Hyoyeon! That’s not gonna happen!” her bubbly voice lacked authority, making him laugh.

“Fany, you need to tell me.”

“Okay, fine!” she sighed causing him to laugh once more at her.

“Well, I met up with him for lunch and we tried talking it through. But something was holding me back, you know! I just kept thinking if he wanted to kiss some girl when he’s drunk what about when he’s sober? What is he really thinking then? So I convinced him space is what we needed for now and he begged  and pleaded but I really need to think, see what’s out there,” Tiffany  replied, the sadness clear in her voice.

“Don’t worry Fany, trust me. You’re a great girl. You’ll work it out. If it’s with Yuri or someone else, you’ll be just fine!” Hyoyeon gave Tiffany his honest opinion. He knew if Yuri didn’t wise up soon, some other guy would be after Tiffany. She was pretty enough to attract anyone.

“You’re right, time is what I need. So how’d it go with Taeyeon?” she asked with a glee.

 

What do I say? Fany’s my ally, practically my friend but I do have to respect Taeyeon s privacy.

 

“It went alright,” he said not sounding like there was more to it then there really was.

“She forgives you?” Tiffany asked.

“Yeah, she did,” he replied after a moment with his thoughts.

 

She really did forgive me. I can’t believe it.

 

“Yay! That is great news! I’m happy for you, Hyo!” The honest happiness in Tiffany’s voice made Hyoyeon grin.

"Thanks for meeting up with me, Fany. I appreciate it!” The pasta sauce continued to bubble and Hyoyeon turned the fire down.

 

“No worries, I was happy to help. But listen Hyo...” Tiffany’s voice toned down to an almost hush.

“Yeah?” he asked as he placed the glass lid over the pasta sauce to simmer.

“Can we keep this between us? I mean, Taeyeon’s my friend but I don’t want her thinking too much into this. You know us in cahoots and everything.”

“So essentially, I don’t know who you are then Tiffany,” he stated

“Exactly! Look Hyoyeon, I know what Taeyeon wanted to do last night and I agree with you. I wouldn’t have gone to such extremes but I’m glad you stopped her!” Tiffany  confided in him, he heard the sound of a key in the locks. Taeyeon was home. The realisation making his heart start to flutter slight and then came the nerves.

 

Crap!

 

“Tiffany, I have to go, Taeyeon’s home. Thanks again,” he quickly said.

“No worries, I’ll speak to you soon, Hyoyeon,” and with that he hung up just as Taeyeon entered the apartment. She was still in her work uniform but this time her hair was no longer in a ponytail instead her hair was down with her loose curls behind her right ear.

 

“Hey, you’re home,” he greeted as he placed his phone back on the bench.

“Hey, yourself,” she smiled and placed her key on the hallway table. Taeyeon walked over to the kitchen, placing her shopping bags on the counter.

 

Why does she have to smile at me like that? Don’t look at her smile, Hyoyeon!

Don’t look at the adorable smile... DON’T! That’s it! I’m killing myself right here!

 

“I’m sorry I’m late. I had to get a key cut for the door, and I thought I’d pick up a few things at Center while I was there,” she said as she looked through her bags.

“No problem, what’s in the bags?” he asked curiously. He leaned forward to see inside. Taeyeon looked up from the bags to only be met by his face, they were eye to eye and she looked a little taken back. He watched as her eyes travel down to his mouth and he could feel his lips twitch.

 

Taeyeon shook her head a little, stood straight and cleared . The way she looked at him made his insides stir, his stomach felt light, and at the same time he felt his knot. He watched as she patted her skirt a little and seemed to be lost in her thoughts.

 

“Oh, just a few things, you know a new blouse and a cardigan,” she finally replied.

“What’s that smell?” she asked raising an eyebrow.

“Oh, it’s pasta,” Hyoyeon responded as he turned around and stirred the sauce, and then added the red wine he picked up on his way back to Taeyeon’s.

“Pasta? You cook?” she asked tilting her head and a laugh slipped from him.

 

 “Why does that surprise you?” he asked turning around to meet her stare, this time it was Hyoyeon that had an eyebrow raised.

"Yes, here I am thinking you lived the bachelor lifestyle! Restaurants and pubs every night,” she said as she swept her hair to the side.

 

I had to look at her at that moment, didn’t I?

 

“Sure, when there’s an occasion. If I’m not busy eating Chinese at my desk, I’ll cook. Mum made sure I learnt a few things before I went to Stanford,” he replied.

“Well, Sooyoung was lucky he had you for a roommate then, he can’t cook. If he had to he would have eaten two minute noodles for all of college and I’m pretty sure he’s been doing that lately.” Taeyeon’s nose wrinkled and he swore it one of the most adorable things he had seen.

 

 Aw Hell!

 

“Yeah, Sooyoung is a horrible cook,” he agreed. “One time in college, he almost burnt down the shared kitchen trying to make grilled cheese. He left the plastic on the cheese slices and he put oil in the pan, so you could imagine the place. He didn't get the concept of grilled. We even got evacuated and of course the girls loved it. You know try and help him learn how to cook, he was hopeless,” Hyoyeon said as he shook his head at the memories.

“I can see why Sooyoung never told me that story,” she giggled.

“Yeah, he gets a little embarrassed that he left the plastic on, not that he almost burnt the building down.”

“Well, I can ! I’ll never let him live it down,” she laughed as she walked into the kitchen and over to the stove. Hyoyeon stood there observing her, it was taking everything in him to not go over there and hold her in his hands again.

 

“Do you need a hand, Hyo?” she asked.

“A hand?”

“With the pasta?” she raised her eyebrow at him.

“Oh no, I’m good here, Tae. I’ll call you when it’s ready,” he smiled as he raised the wooden spoon in her direction.

“Good. I was only being polite. I would have helped but my feet are sore from being on them all day. I’m going to go have a nice long bath,” she said as she walked out of the kitchen and into her room. Hyoyeon stood there staring at her bedroom door.

 

Taeyeon in the bath ... God send me to Hell for all these damn thoughts.

 

Hyoyeon checked on the sauce before he walked to the fridge and pulled out a beer. He unscrewed the top and held it in the air.

“To Hell!” he muttered to himself and brought it up to his mouth. He let out a heavy sigh and took a mouthful before taking a seat on the barstool.

 

 

 

If anyone ever told Kim Hyoyeon just how torturous it was to be in Choi Taeyeon’s presence, he’d laugh in their face and give them a beer. He’d probably call them a ing idiot too but mostly hand the idiot a beer. Right now he was on his second because he needed away from her and alcohol was his go to problem solver.

 

The smell of her coconut shampoo had been driving him crazy. When she walked out of her bedroom and into the kitchen, he got delirious from smell of her especially when she sat next to him on the balcony. Instead of her work uniform, Taeyeon was wore a light green blouse and a pair of jean shorts. He didn’t dare look at her legs that he couldn’t take. Taeyeon’s legs were a part of her body his eyes could not view.

 

“I’m slightly impressed,” Taeyeon said looking up at him and took a sip of her red wine. When Taeyeon put down the glass, she looked at him with a twinkle in her eye. She looked happy to be here with him. It was Taeyeon’s idea to place the candles to give them light they need. He was thankful for the candles because the smell of vanilla distracted Hyoyeon’s from her coconut shampoo and her floral perfume.

 

God, Hell is probably more tolerable than being here next to her right now! I can’t act on this. I can’t act on this!

 

“Only slightly?” he asked after swig of his beer.

“Yes, only slightly,” she replied as she twirled her pasta on to her fork. She did a few more twirls to make sure her pasta would stay on the fork, and then flattened the twirled pasta with her spoon before placing it in .

 

Another one of Taeyeon’s things! Screw the adorableness of her stupid pasta twirls.

 

“Here I am thinking I could knock your socks off, Choi Taeyeon,” he smirked to her.

 

AM I FLIRTING WITH HER? Someone give me an intervention!

 

“You’d need a lot more then Mamma’s cooking to knock these socks off!” she smirked back, that y tone in her voice back

.

I really do love that y voice of hers. ! I’m a dead man!

 

Hyoyeon gripped his beer tighter, this is not what he needed right now. He needed some damn self-control right now. Hyoyeon could see her face tense a little in the corner of his eye as he stared out at the view of the dusk skyline. Blues, reds, oranges and even purples filling his sight of the sky, he could see the stars start to shine through the daylight.

 

“So what’s with making dinner tonight?” she asked, Hyoyeon whipping his head towards her direction.

“Is this an apology for last night?” when he didn’t reply straight away, Taeyeon continued.

"Look Hyo, I told you I’m over it. I said no groveling! You already made it up to me with the whole let’s get to be friends game,” she replied pointing her fork at him to emphasis her point.

“This is an apology but not the kind you’re thinking about Tae.” She eyed him cautiously.

“Go on then, let me hear it,” she nodded, and swallowed the remaining contents of her wine.

“It’s an apology for when I first got here,” he said as he finished his beer.

“What do you mean, first got here?”

“Your pasta got burnt!” he laughed out as her eyes flickered.

“I told you! You ruined my pasta! I am not a bad cook. You just distracted me!” she replied, her feistiness making him laugh.

 

I, distract Taeyeon

 

If he could he would punch himself for such a thought. She was making this hard for him, intentional or not.

 

What she says, what she wears, the way she smells and the way she smiles.

It’s all getting too ing much!

 

“Taeyeon, my pasta would kick your pasta’s , burnt or not. Mamma taught me a few things, remember,” he said leaning towards her.

“Don’t bring your mamma into this, Hyoyeon. You’re a big kid now. She can’t defend you forever,” she grinned slightly as she too leaned towards Hyoyeon. For a second he watched her eye his mouth again like before, if he had any self-control in him he’d move back but he stayed. If she were going to kiss him he wouldn’t refuse, his body wouldn’t let him do so.

“You done with that?” she asked as she returned her eyes to his. Hyoyeon blinked to see her arm reach for his plate. He blinked again at her and she simply smiled and took his plate.

 

He breathed out the breath he held in his lungs. Having held his breath in was causing his lungs to burn like they were on fire. Hyoyeon sat there as he watched her clear the table. What was she doing to him?

“Taeyeon, you don’t have to do that. I cooked remember, let me do this,” he said as he approached her. His hand grazing hers, Hyoyeon watched Taeyeon still and he took the plate from her hands. The feeling of her skin made him shiver but he managed to contain it enough for her not to notice.

“I’ve got this,” he said to her. She simply nodded and he continued to clear the table while Taeyeon walked back into the apartment. When he couldn’t hear her footsteps, he sighed.

 

This is becoming too much, how am I ever going to survive?

 

TAEYEON

 

JESSICA: Yuri and I are hitting Busan. The idiot wants to practice his diving off the boards. Wanna come? Invite your ‘problem’ too!

 

Taeyeon stared at her phone. The heat radiating from her window was making her sweat a little. Jessica wanted her to invite Hyoyeon. After last night she wasn’t sure she was going to be able to be in the same room as him. He was sending her emotions in hyper drive. The way he looked at her and his touch alone, were making her thoughts foggy. She let out a sigh.

 

Why Kim Hyoyeon? How many other boys are there in this God forsaken world?

 

The thought ingrained in her, why him? Why was he making her want a little more than she should be? This was a cruel trick by her body and mind. They were friends she had to remember that. But it was too hard, she had to admit that herself. She could hear the sound of Hyoyeon in the kitchen and it made her smile.

 

That is something you shouldn’t be smiling at Taeyeon! Wipe that smile away!

 

She quickly frowned. Last night was an apology for his first night, nothing else, but each time their hands brushed as they washed the dishes was making her head spin a little.

 

Everything about Hyoyeon was confusing and whatever this feeling she had in her continued to confused her. She placed her phone down on her pillow and stretched out her body from its sleep. As she lay there she looked out the window at an early view of Seoul. It was too

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter