CHAPTER 11

THIRTY EIGHT DAYS
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Chapter Eleven

 

TAEYEON

 

The smell of fresh baked cupcakes filled the bakery. The smell could intoxicate anyone who walked through those white painted shop doors. The smell of sweet peaches and a hint of freshly brewed tea floated in the air. A smell that was always familiar on Wednesdays, only ever Wednesday.

The fragrance in the smell was homely and comforting, it was the only thing so predictable and consistent in Taeyeon's life. She knew that the smell would trigger old memories for her customers. The familiarity from the smell was like a grandmother cooking freshly baked goods on a Sunday afternoon. But Taeyeon could only imagine, she had never known either set of her grandparents.

 

She watched as her building neighbour stood in front of her examining the product of her first batch of the day. Wooyoung had spent the last fifty minutes watching quietly as she mixed her batter and prepare the icing while the cupcakes started to bake.

 

"So?" Taeyeon asked anxiously as she wiped her bench clean from the droplets of batter that fell during the baking process. Wooyoung was still chewing the whole cupcake in one mouthful. It made him look like a greedy pig, but he was her cute greedy pig.

 

Did I just say Wooyoung's mine? No, I didn't. I did not. Did I?

 

She had paused mid movement, gripping the dishing rag on the bench. It was subconscious. She didn't mean it. Taeyeon was thankful she didn't say it out loud. She threw the rag along with the tea towel used on Wooyoung in the trash. Things went a little off plan. Wooyoung and Hyoyeon stuck in her thoughts. But Wooyoung she understood she was attracted to him, Hyoyeon she didn't get. The thought of him was causing an ache and clench of her heart. It was new, unfamiliar and it started to scare the hell out of Taeyeon.

 

"It's... Oh... Hmmm… How…” Wooyoung mumbled through each chew and swallow.

"Is it good?" Taeyeon asked uncertainly. All Wooyoung did was smile give her a thumbs up and swallowed, it was a cute way to explain.

"No single word in existence can describe the taste of those cupcakes, Taeyeon. You are one talented baker," Wooyoung praised. She looked up to see icing crusted on the lining of his upper lip. If she let impulses take over her, Taeyeon would walk right up to Wooyoung  and kiss the icing away, hell bent on tasting his lips rather than the icing.

 

Taeyeon needed to get her desires under control, they were getting ridiculous and unlike her. But she could only do the second best thing that came popping in her head, because the first thing would signal more than she could handle. She approached Wooyoung and closed the distance. She stood there looking up to him and wondered what was stopping her from making a proper move, making Wooyoung's hers. She wasn't sure what it was but it had a good clench on her heart, painful and nothing she could get a grip on. Raising a thumb to , Taeyeon gave it a quick , rose up to Wooyoung and she wasn't sure what she saw in Wooyoung  but it warmed her. His eyes gave her the

feeling of hope and want, something she hadn't been familiar with. She raised her thumb to his lip and held his face in her other palm. Taeyeon  wiped away the icing and the touch of his lips caused her to blush. It was an innocent move, no ual motives in it but it was the sweetest thing she could think of.

 

"You can be such a little pig, Wooyoung," Taeyeon said as she removed her hand from his face.

But Wooyoung surprised her. Instead of letting her go he held her wrist gently and moved an inch closer. His chest almost touching hers, he was making his intentions very clear. Taeyeon could feel her breath turn into small shallow gasps. This closeness was not what she was expecting. She had to remind herself of the distance, not until she understood what she wanted. He backed her into the side of the bench, like a preying lion on a gazelle, the coldness of it not distinguishing the heat radiating from her skin.

 

Wooyoung took his hands off her wrist and returned them to her waist. Taeyeon steadied herself. She couldn't contain it anymore, she needed to kiss him and get this tension out of her system. Wooyoung lifted her by her waist off the ground and placed her gently on the bench top. She was back in her original position,the one she in. He placed his hands on her face, nothing but tenderness, his touch was gentle but she knew he was holding back.

 

All Taeyeon could do was wait and all Wooyoung  did was stare. He was looking at her as if he could see something in herself that she didn't. She couldn't look at him directly for too long. She was hiding scares and battle wounds that she wasn't proud of and didn't want them under his inspection and scope. Taeyeon wanted to be brave, she needed him to kiss her and make her forget.

 

 

You shouldn't be doing this Taeyeon! You shouldn't be doing this!

 

Taeyeon wrapped her legs around Wooyoung's waist, she hesitated for a second but the little voice in her head was not going to win this time. She raised her arms and wrapped them around Wooyoung's neck, hoping he would understand the message she was sending. She wasn't sure how far they would go in the bakery but she didn't care, she needed his lips on hers before she would spontaneously combust into flames. Wooyoung's eyes flickered with surprise but she kept her eyes on his lips, this was purely ual.

 

"I like you, Taeyeon," Wooyoung whispered so softly that she had a little trouble understanding him. Taeyeon  froze, her eyes quickly staring into his.

 

Did he just say? No! No feelings can be involved… Wooyoung likes me?

 

"I, … uhh," she mumbled out, a proper and sensible reply not coming out.

"You have no idea how much it killed me seeing you with him."

 

He was talking about Onew.

 

"To see him leave your apartment, to see him kiss you in the lobby, to see him hold you and have you. Taeyeon, he never deserved you!" The anger in his voice made Taeyeon sadden.

 

Oh Wooyoung.

 

As much as she tried to force Wooyoung away from her heart, he was forcing himself in, with more power than she could fight off. He was no longer chipping away at the wall instead he was crashing it down freely. Wooyoung was saying all the right things to take over her heart, she should stop him but she had never had anyone express such things. Her heart was expanding making room for him but as easily as it did that pain returned.

 

Hyoyeon.

 

Taeyeon's brain seemed to be relapsing or playing a broken record. Wooyoung was doing everything right too bad her brain was still wrapped around Hyoyeon's name. Last night's wounds were still fresh. That's all she was to him, a babysitting gig. She could send him packing and Taeyeon would have Wooyoung, at least he liked her.

 

"Wooyoung, you don't have to say that," she let out as held him little tighter, their foreheads almost touching, just like in the lobby.

"Taeyeon, I spent a year waiting for my turn to be with you. I'm not going to let you get away so easily. I'll prove to you my loyalty. I would never do what he did to you," his words were sweet and she believed them but then again she didn't want to believe them.

"Wooyoung, I'm not... I'm not ready to be in any kind of relationship." Taeyeon sighed, as much as he was making her heart race, she couldn't let herself fall for him. Her heart couldn't take another knife to it.

"I waited a year, Taeyeon. I can wait a little more. I can show you, I can make you happy," his words made her smile. He would prove to her and she knew he was more than capable of doing so. This time Taeyeon wanted him to stop, his words would make her fall apart and want to be with him. But something was stopping her, not allowing her heart to open up to him so freely.

 

Hyoyeon.

 

His name causing anger to rise in her. He could not be the reason for her not being able to accept Wooyoung. She pushed the thought away. Hyoyeon was nothing to her. Not even if the words he said to her last night made her heart ache. He was nothing. Taeyeon looked into Wooyoung's eyes, he seemed to adore her and she was willing to give him a chance. She moved her face closer to his. She needed to kiss him to make things better. Their faces inched closer, Wooyoung knew it too, this kiss needed to happen.

 

The sound of her phone interrupting their potential first kiss, Taeyeon  was the one to groan first. Who was she kidding? She was throwing herself at him. Their first kiss was going to happen but now the moment was lost. She untangled herself from Wooyoung, surprised that she actually had her legs wrapped around him. She watched as Wooyoung laughed, she knew he was frustrated but for her to groan out in annoyance first must have thrilled him.

 

"I'm sorry, I… uhh better check that," Taeyeon  breathed out heavily. She was more than frustrated and her breathing was erratic.

"No, go right ahead," he laughed as he took his hands off her waist, disappointing her. Wooyoung  held out his hand, she took it as he helped her off the bench, making her smile.

 

Apparently, chivalry wasn't lost with Wooyoung

 

The thought making her laugh, she let go of his hand and went to her bag. She rummaged around to find her phone flashing. Taeyeon had a text message from Jessica. She groaned out loud.

 

Jessica, of all people! Jessica would be the one to ruin my kiss with Wooyoung!

 

Taeyeon  turned to look at Wooyoung, leaning on the bench. His hair was a little messy and his shirt was ruffled from her wrapped legs around him.

 

Why did he have to be so unbelievably attractive and sweet… and like me?

 

She flashed a smile at him and he in turn sent her a glorious one making her knees a little weak. What a shame, she was so close to kissing his lips, she would kill Jessica for this. Taeyeon looked down and opened the text message.

 

JESSICA : You owe me an explanation, ! I’m 5 minutes from the

bakery. Don't you even think about making a runner! I will hunt you

down, put the frosting away and meet me out the front!

 

If anyone delivered on promised threats it was Jessica. Taeyeon locked her phone and knew she wouldn't try anything with Wooyoung, she wouldn't stop herself and she didn't need Jessica interrupting them… again.

 

"I need to open the shop while the cupcakes bake. You don't mind helping me with the chairs?" Taeyeon asked as she returned her phone in her bag.

"Any chance to be nearer to you" Wooyoung smiled. The owner of those beautiful eyes had no idea the affect he was having on her.

 

 

 

 

 

"Don't you dare run, Choi," Taeyeon heard Jessica yell at her as she entered the bakery. Taeyeon put down the chair she was holding and put it in place. She looked around the bakery to see it was almost ready for business. The counter near the front entrance had been dusted and wiped, the chairs were being assembled and the curtains drawn back, Mr. Lee  would be happy.

 

"Good morning to you too, Jessica," the bitterness in Taeyeon’s voice was evident. She was still annoyed at her message. Taeyeon looked up, there standing in a pair of tight black jeans, black studded heel boots and a white tank was the ever so beautiful and ever so dangerous Jessica Jung.

Jessica was the brown bombshell on campus, strikingly beautiful and with a personality that would make only the bravest of men have a try. Jessica took off her aviator sunglasses and rested them on her head and her perfectly long brown hair was something Taeyeon envied. She noticed Jessica’s handbag hanging off her arms and the keys to her BMW in the palm of her hand.

 

Why was Jessica blessed with such beauty?

 

Taeyeon felt inadequate in her presence. She did feel self-conscious around Jessica. She turned around to see Wooyoung towards the back of the store, placing the chairs on the wooden floors.

 

Once he sees Jessica he’ll be done with me.

 

The thought made her heartdrop. wooyoung would see Jessica and forget about her. It was good while it lasted, at least she didn't kiss him and wonder why, when he threw her aside.

 

"Right, Chai Latte?" Jessica asked as she took out her iPhone and started to type. If she didn't know better she would have thought Jessica was a famous celebrity, waiting for her picture to be taken by the paparazzi.

"No worries," Taeyeon replied, heading round the counter and started to get her latte ready. Taeyeon bailed on Jessica last night and she owed her an explanation.

"Oh, Tiffany should be here?" Jessica pointed out as she popped her head up from her phone and looked at Taeyeon.

"Tiffany?"

"Yeah, she said she would be here before me..." Jessica started to say as her phone vibrated for her attention.

"Oh, that's Tiffany now, she'll be a bit late. Taeyeon, lollipop Tiffany will be late. Looks like you can explain it all to me then." Apparently Tiffany had her ditsy moments around Jessica theref

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter