Making a Friend While Not Caring

What Was Thought to Never Be

Not caring and feeling the need to talk to someone else to release his fears, Top left the safety of Eun Hye's apartment. He took the elevator to the lobby in order to have a talk with the concierge.  The concierge bowed and greeted Top seeing that he just had just come from the elevators. 

 

"Anneyeonhaeseyo,” Top replied. "Can you tell me who just delivered take-out to Ms. Yoon Eun Hye's apartment?"

 

Slightly confused, the concierge said, "I'm sorry sir, we do not give any information about our residents. " He continued, "By the way, may I ask what who you are... your name is not on the guest list?"

 

Should I disclose my identity to him? Top gave in and took off his mask, "I'm Top."

 

The concierge began made a bow, "I am sorry sir." Again, he presumed and continued, "You are a guest of Ms. Yoon?"

 

Should I tell him this too? Again, Top decided in favor of the concierge, "Yes. Now, can you tell me who delivered to food to Ms. Yoon door?"

 

"Ohhhh, Ms. Yoon. How polite of you. I always recognize a young man with manners. In fact, I didn't think you would be polite." Experienced enough in his position to recognize the look of impatience and frustration, the concierge quickly got back on track, "Well, security takes everyone's food to their door.  We do not allow the delivery persons to go up stairs, since there are a lot of stars in this building." The concierge grinned and leaned in towards Top,” Security first."

 

"Well, do you know who brought the food to the front desk then?"

 

"No, actually… I don't quite remember anyone delivering the food, but I did step away from my desk for a couple of minutes." After pausing and speculating, the concierge waived his pointer finger at paper on his desk.  He then concluded "But, I am positive that someone from security took it upstairs. It is in the log and we usually just leave the food outside residents' doors."

 

This time Top was perplexed.  So, the concierge answered without Top inquiring, "We do not want to intrude in our residents’ personal lives.  Imagine if we rang a resident's doorbell and the person who answered was someone we did not expect."  The concierge than paused and gave Top a wink, "We try to avoid all unnecessary inconveniences."

 

"I assume that means that you will also keep this between you and I?"

 

The concierge smiled and nodded and a silent agreement was made.

 

"Kamsahamnida." Top put his mask back on and began to walk away, but then he turned around. "Do you think that you could inform security to be extra vigilant regarding the security for Ms. Yoon." Worried that he might have raised too much suspicion, he attempted to diminish his previous statement, by stating, "Especially, since I am here.  I want to protect her from any scandals…"

 

"I completely understand." Unsure if it was appropriate, the concierge finished, "Top, Sir."  Finally, as any proud concierge would if the opportunity came, he closed with a rendition of the excellency of his services while beaming, "A scandal featuring our building would also reflect poorly on the staff here. Our discretion is part of the reason this building is exclusive."

 

For some reason, the proud feeling was contagious. Top smiled, bowed, and once again turned to leave. However, his new friend the concierge couldn't let him go just yet. 

 

"Top, sir?" The concierge came around from the desk and announced to Top, ”I am glad that you are Ms. Yoon's new friend.  You know she has been staying here for a couple of years." Then, he stared at Top really hard, "I was starting to get worried." Top provided the concierge with a facial expression that was quickly interpreted by the concierge as "I understand." The concierge then said, "A girl can only live with heart break for so long."

 

The concierge then raised his arms and crossed them. Top then immediately bowed a full 90-degrees, which could only be interpreted by the concierge as "I promise not to hurt her." The concierge, then gave Top a 90-degree bow. So, Top bowed again. Then, the concierge bowed again. Unsure what to do, Top bowed again. The concierge gave another bow as Hyori walked into the Lobby.

 

Hyori took a quick glance at Top, who was still in his hoodie and had on a mask.  Passing by the two men bowing, she said, "Here, again are you?" It was reciprocal question, so Hyori kept on walking towards the elevators.

 

Top began to feel really silly, but luckily his new concierge friend was there to comfort him. The concierge gave Top a thumbs up while Top felt like he was melting in the center of the lobby.

 

Finally, the concierge cut off Top's pain by saying, "I appreciate you coming to greet me and inform me of your presence, so that we can accommodate you and Ms. Yoon. If you need anything from me or security, please let me know. If I may say it, you are already doing much better than her previous friend."

 

Top stood up straight and looked at the concierge looking for more direction and information.  Instead, the concierge handed Top a key and gave Top a quick nod.

 

Having no more questions for the time being, Top began to turn around for the final time to head off to bed. He walked slowly, because he was also hoping that Hyori had already caught the elevator up. 

 

Luckily, he was able to ride the elevator up alone while listening to "cantaloupe island." Top laughed at himself for leaving her apartment without a key and for the concierge expecting it to happen.  Top sensed himself easing into a relaxed state and began to remember all of the things he wanted, but did not need to do.  First, he wanted a vacation. No, first I want to go to sleep.  

 

Top used his key to get back into Eun Hye's apartment. Top thought about sleeping on the couch, but quickly decided against it. Eun Hye wouldn't mind him sleeping in her bed. I mean she is probably dead to the world anyway. But, then he didn't have any pajamas. Top usually liked to be fully covered, but didn't want to feel uncomfortable.

 

So, he entered Eun Hye's bedroom. Her lamp was still on, but you could barely see Eun Hye under the piles of covers, blankets, and pillows. Top walked around to the other side of the bed and said to himself, "Ahh, just do it." Top turned off the lamp stripped to his briefs and turned off the lamp. 

 

Eun Hye felt the weight of Top's body hitting the mattress. Half awake, Eun Hye turned her body towards Top and said, "I thought you left?"

Top answered, "No, I am still here."

 

Top could hear, Eun Hye murmur something as her head nuzzled itself in the space between Top's shoulder and neck. Her hand wrapped itself around Top's waist and froze. Alarms rang and called Eun Hye to attention, as she blurted out "these are nice!" As she attempted to reach over Top to the turn on the light. Top grabbed and held her arm and said sternly, "No." 

 

Eun Hye wasn't ready to test whatever waters that voice came from. So, she returned to her side of the bed. In response, she felt Top turn his body to face the wall. Not wanting him to feel rejected or that he offended her, she grabbed Top's shoulders to turn his body back on his back. Once again, she nuzzled her head and placed her hand on Top's waist. Next, she lifted her head and kissed Top's cheek. Then, she said, "Goodnight."

 

Top began to giggle like a five-year-old discovering something new for the first time. He started to pat Eun Hye's head and exclaimed, "So cute!"

 

Eun Hye responded, "I am not a cat you know."

 

"I know.” Top unapologetically said, “You are a rabbit."

 

Speechless.  Eun Hye said to herself, "I thought for a minute. No a split second, that we could do this. But, now I don’t think this is going to work."

 

As if Top could hear Eun Hye’s innermost thoughts, he said, "YEH, go to sleep. You have to get up early tomorrow morning."

 

Eun Hye silently said to herself, “Sleep it is because he can hear me in here.”

 

For the first time in a long time Eun Hye realized when her alarm went off that she had to get up right away. First, to avoid her morning face. Second, because if she did not meet Manager Moon downstairs then Manager Moon would find her way to Eun Hye's apartment. 

 

Wait is he even still here.” Eun Hye turned her head and saw that Top was hidden and in a cocoon of covers. Eun Hye sprung out of bed to take a shower and get dressed. She shocked herself, because she got dressed within 30 minutes. It was 5:00am, Eun Hye was ready, but Top was still in bed in love with the warmth of the covers. 

 

Eun Hye discarded her morning face, so she began to rub what she thought was Top's shoulder to wake him up.  Eun Hye then saw his body shake itself from side to side.  Eun Hye attempted to wake him up again.

 

This time, Top replied, "Too early... I don't have any appointments."

 

"We'll I have to go. How are you going to leave without a key?”

 

"I have a key."

 

"Wait, Mr. Kim gave you a key???"

 

Top was nonresponsive.

 

"Who gave you the key?"

 

No response.

 

"Honestly?"

 

Still nothing.

 

Eun Hye thought about jumping on the bed to wake him up, but she didn't want Manager Moon to intrude. So she left her apartment, leaving Top in what looked like he thought was paradise. When Eun Hye reached the garage, Manager Moon was just getting out of the car.

 

Surprised, Manager Moon said, "Eun Hye?"

 

"Yes, I am ready to go right this minute"

 

Manager Moon raised her eyebrow at Eun Hye.

 

Eun Hye continued, "I'm getting older. I wake up early now. Instead of just sitting in bed, I decided to just go ahead and get ready."

 

"Well, this is good for you and me."

 

Eun Hye got in the car and rode silently. Eun Hye was once again lost in her thoughts. She didn't know what to do, but pulled out the notebook in her bag and began to write. She knew that this was going to have to be stapled in her journal.

 

That man.

 

First, I can't believe Mr. Kim gave Top a key. That man trusts no one. He doesn't even trust me. He won't even let me have an extra key. He's afraid that I'll lose it. But, Top just goes to the concierge and gets a key? What is going on here? On top of that, he has been looking at me like I am a three-legged dog for at least a year. It's always a look of pity with a smile.  

 

Second, why is that man still in my house. Right now he has a key and he is wrapped in my covers like a cocoon. The polite thing to do when someone wakes up is to wake up to. Then, leave when the owner of the apartment leaves. These overnight stay manners are clearly lost on him.

 

Third, I know at one point I was hoping for someone to be there when I woke up in the morning. I was hoping not to be alone. BUT, I DIDN’T MEAN LIKE THIS, AND I DID NOT MEAN TOP.

 

Honestly, he is a little off.  But, not like off as in weird, but off as in too smart for his own good.  For example, he wrapped himself in a cocoon, so that he could avoid me and stay in bed. I know these tricks. In fact, I may have done this myself.

 

Never mind, I forgot he did not have any clothes on. Rant over.

 

Relieved that he hadn’t gotten one past her, Eun Hye closed her notebook and began chatting away with Manager Moon.

 

Meanwhile, Top had woken up, and with the help of Mr. Kim, he found a private security company to install cameras.   While he was patiently waiting for the private security company to arrive, Top began to explore Eun Hye’s apartment.