One

Our Love Stories

Dear diary,

Today's the day that my family and I will be moving to Seoul, South Korea. I'm having a mixture of feelings right now. I'm nervous because I have to go to a new school in Seoul and I'm really shy around strangers. I'm sad because I have to leave my best friends in the whole wide world, Tashimoto Angie, who is American-Japanese, and Suzuki Miu. They made me promise that I won't forget them, and I made them promise that they'll call me every single day. We've been friends since forever and it hurts to be separated from them for a long time. But I'm really excited because I like going exploring in new places. Oh! Mom is calling me. I'll continue writing on the airplane, that is if I don't fall asleep. Hopefully South Korea would welcome me in a friendly way. Oh and by that, I mean that I won't be in any trouble when I go to South Korea. 

I close my diary and placed it nicely in my suitcase. I sigh and take a look at my empty room one more time and take my stuff and walk out the door. I'm gonna miss this place so much.

Oh you might be asking what's going on right? Let me introduce myself.

My name is Jung Haruki. My dad is Korean, while my mom is Japanese. I got my surname from my father, Jung Minjun, and my mother, Miyagi Akira, named me Haruki because in the Japanese language, "Haru" means spring, while in Korean, "Haru" means day. So I guess my name means Spring Day?

The story of how my parents met is pretty long, yet very romantic, but I'll save that for some other time.

Well today is the day my parents, my 23 -year-old brother, Jung Hikaru, and I will move to Seoul, South Korea. My father found a new job there that will give us better lives so the whole family has to move. My dad has been teaching me Korean for 3 months now and it's a good thing that I can learn things very quickly. Our family always goes to South Korea every summer to meet my dad's family side so I have a little bit of background information about South Korea and the language.

"Do you have all your stuff Haru-chan?" my mother asks and I smile. As we wait for the bus to come and takes us to the airport, I notice that my brother is looking at his reflection in my mirror.

"Onii-chan, what are you doing?"

"You don't know? My friends said that South Korean girls are really beautiful so I have to look good for them."

"But it's about 2 hours from Japan to South Korea. You'll have plenty of time to get ready. Besides you're tall and a lot of girls like tall guys. I'm sure you'll be fine."

"You think so, Haru? Thank you! You're the best sister ever!" He hugs me so tight that I think I might suffocate.

The bus finally comes and my brother offers to take my suitcase. I guess he is really happy about what I said. I really do think that he'll have many admirers because he's pretty tall and outgoing. Sometimes I wonder if he's really my brother. My parents are pretty average when it comes to height ranking and so am I, but I brother is a bit taller than average. But I guess that's why he has a lot of girls confessing their feelings for him. They must feel very hurt because we're leaving.

After checking our stuff, we sit down at the waiting chair in front of the gate that we have to go through, Gate 24.

The plane soon arrives and we get on quickly and take off.

~2 hours later~

We finally arrive at Incheon International Airport. We make sure we have all of our stuff and follow my dad out of the plane. I look out the windows and saw how beautiful the sky was. It is still technically winter but somehow the sky seems more welcoming. I smile at myself and my brother elbows me. "What are you smiling about, Haru?" he asks. I slap him playfully and he just laughs.

After checking out of the airport, my dad calls a taxi and takes us to a big apartment that my father rented a few days before we left Japan. I think it's a bit bigger than a regular apartment so it's amazing. It has 3 bedrooms so my parents will have the biggest one, Onii-chan will have the second biggest one, and I get the smallest one. It's alright because I don't have a lot of stuff so I don't need a lot of space.

My dad actually ordered all the furniture before when he rented this apartment. My father is like that. He always prepares things and surprises us. The whole room was really cute and fits my style a lot.

I throw my backpack on the bed and flop straight down. I could just go to sleep right now. Sure it was only 2 hours of airplane time but I'm exhausted.

I just realize I have a small square window. I stand up, open the window and look outside. There is another apartment next to ours and I can literally see through the apartment room across from mine. It looks like a guy's room because there is a lot of sports posters. I spot a guy walking in the room. He's listening to music, I think, and reading a magazine at the same time.

All of a sudden, he notices me staring at him. He waves and smiles. HIs smile looks really childish and fun. I don't know what to do so I just wave back.

He opens his window and calls out.

"Are you new here?" A Korean. Okay dad has been teaching you Korean, Haruki. Make him proud.

"Yes." I said confidently in Korean.

"What's your name?"

"Jung Haruki."

"That doesn't sound like a regular Korean name. Are you Japanese?"

"Uh yes. I'm Japanese Korean. And may I ask what's your name?"

"I'm Kim Taehyung. But you can call me V." He smiles again. "I've never had a Japanese friend before. Can I call you Haru for short?"

I nodded. "My brother calls me that. Haru actually means spring in Japanese."

"That's awesome. I gotta go. Nice meeting you, Haru-ya!"

He closes his window and so do I.

V. I wonder what it stands for. But that guy was really nice. He seems like he's around my age. Well I hope I get to meet him again.

I give out a yawn.

I guess it's time for bed.