Am I Dreaming?

Save Yourself, I'll Wait

This was real right? He was sitting next to me singing softly.  I didn't know his name a few days ago and now he wanted to marry me? How did that happen?  I didn't know what to think because nothing else was like this.  How could it be so easy? I mean, wasn't this supposed to be difficult and full of second lead characters? How could I just get engaged to this man I barely knew? I didn't want to say no but for my family not necessarily for Henry's sake.  

The thoughts swirled down the shower drain as I stood under the warm spray.  I reached out to pick up the bottles looking for shampoo but then he didn't have any conditioner.  No, he had two-in-one shampoo and conditioner.  No way was I using that on my hair.  It wasn't my brand.  There was no way this was going to work on my long hair.  I sighed before I got out of the shower turning the water off.  I wrapped myself in a towel feeling cold now that I was all wet.  No point in putting on clean clothes as I saw Henry look up at me.  

"I need you to get me shampoo and conditioner.  Yours isn't good," I told him.  He stood up and I couldn't hide my smile.  He was flustered rushing towards the door.  

"Wait, I didn't show you what kind yet!" I called out to him.  He froze and I walked over to him.  

"Phone please," I said holding out my hand.  He handed it over.

"Yah, it's locked," I complained. He showed me the pattern a reverse figure eight.  He hovered next to me as I searched for what I wanted.  It wasn't uncomfortable as I felt the warmth from his body standing so close, but he fidgeted.  

"You don't have to be so anxious.  I'm finding a picture of the exact one so you can't possibly mess it up.  I have an oppa already so I know not to tell you the name," I said.  He nodded but didn't back away if anything he stared at me.  

"Nahi, thank you," he said softly.  I turned to stare at him confused.  

"What for?" I asked.  He smiled.  

"For giving me a chance," he said.  I processed his words for a moment before nodding feeling awkward.  I saved the picture of it and showed him.

"It's this one both the shampoo and conditioner.  You should be able to find it at the store.  Just don't take forever.  If you can't find it, then call me so I can tell you what else to get," I said remembering the time N hadn't been able to find the liners and brougth me back tampons instead of asking.  He'd bought a box of every kind thinking he couldn't make a mistake but he did anyhow.  He refused to admit it though getting mad and saying women were crazy.  

"I'll be back, just put on some clothes ok so you don't get cold," he said.  I shook my head.

"Really, I'll be fine.  I'll just wait in the bathroom," I told him.  He nodded and I thought he would leave but he guided me by the shoulders back into the bathroom.  Sitting me down on a stool he produced from a shelf.  I didn't realize it wasn't part of the wall as it matched the wood.  

"I'll be back soon, ok?" he said.  I nodded at him.  I waved at him to leave and he did finally after glancing back over his shoulder one more time as he closed the door.  As he left, I realized that I hadn't been embarrassed in only a towel.  Maybe I was too accustomed to being around my brother and his friends.  

 I might as well hop back in the shower while I was waiting.  He did have soap after all.  I didn't want to be too particular.  I wanted to be clean not perfect.  I contemplated asking if I should ask him to buy me a razor too, but I didn't want to scare him.  He might not be able to handle it. I should see how he handled the first errand.  Besides it was only one day, I'd survive.  I stared at his razor wondering if I should borrow it or not.  I put it back in it's place by the sink.  I heard the door open and left the water running.  

"This is it?" Henry asked walking over to hand me a bag.  I opened it up and smiled at him.  He hadn't messed it up.  

"I got you a toothbrush too," he explained.  I smiled at him happily.

"Thank you," I said leaning to kiss him on the cheek.  He nodded and I headed back to the bathroom finally ready to take a proper shower.  

"Woooah," I heard and turned confused.

"So, that's how you operate.  Henry you really are greasy," Kyuhyun was saying holding what I assumed was breakfast.  

"Hyung, let me help you with that," Henry was saying walking over to him.  

"No.  No.  I can do it," Kyuhyun was saying formally.  I saw him smirk at me and felt a little uneasy closing the door firmly and locking it behind me.

When I came out they were done eating breakfast, there was still some for me, but I had the feeling they were talking about me.  They were quiet as I walked towards them.  

"Do you only own skinny jeans?" I asked Henry.  He swallowed staring at me.  I sighed sitting down letting my feet hang over the edge.  Having a table over the bed was seeming normal to me.  

"He does," Kyuhyun said helpfully.  Henry scowled at him.

"No, why didn't the pajama pants fit?" Henry was asking me.

"They were too long," I said.  He eyed me and seemed to accept that fact.  

"Still, won't you be cold in shorts?" he asked me.  I sighed.  

"Henry, it's fine for now.  I can change when I get home," I told him.  

"Oh, but we're not going there till later.  We have to go shopping," he said.  I gestured for him to continue talking while I started eating.

"Clearly you need new clothes and also we have to pick out clothes for our party.  It'll be like last time at my grandfather's house.  There'll be even more people though.  People not connected to the family.  And there's something else," Henry said shooting a look at Kyuhyun.

"What are you looking at me for? Tell her already," Kyuhyun was saying.  He was irritated and I wondered if that was what they had been discussing.

"Well, my grandfather wants us to live with him after the party and we're formally betrothed," Henry said.  I paused my chopsticks halfway to my mouth.  I put them back down.  

"Why?" I asked him.  It was unusual to live together before we were married.

"Because he insisted that I sell my apartment and live with him and I told him I would once I was ready to get married," Henry said.  I narrowed my eyes at him.

"So, you're saying that you refuse to live with him alone and you're dragging me along?" I summarized.  

"Yah, she's smart.  I change my opinion.  I like her," Kyuhyun announced lightly.  He grinned at me before turning to enjoy Henry floundering for words.

"Well, when you say it like that it sounds bad," Henry said.

"Sure, and you couldn't just ask me rather than forcing it on me? Really mature of you," I told him.  Henry sighed taking a moment to compose himself.

"I'm sorry.  You're right.  Nahi, will you agree to it? We were going to end up living there after we get married anyway," Henry said.  It was my turn to sigh.  

"Can you give me some time to process this first? My thoughts are still unfocused because we're engaged and now you want me to live with your grandfather whom you seem to have trouble getting along with so I would have to be the buffer.  I don't know if I want to agree to that because I don't know how I feel about us yet," I told him.  He nodded. I pulled the towel from my hair feeling warm.  I ran my fingers through my wet hair trying to contain it. 

There was silence as I went back to eating my breakfast.  The coffee not quite effective yet as I had half a cup left.  

"I'm going to dry your hair for you," Henry said appearing with a towel. 

"You don't need to it will dry on its own," I told him.  

"No.  I don't want you to get sick," he said.  I didn't have much choice as he sat close to me and began to dry it while I ate.  

"I'm fine you know," I said apparently to no one.

"Nahi, you're my fiancee now which means that I have to keep you safe and healthy.  It's my duty," Henry was declaring.  I sighed.  Great.  It's my duty.  Definitely makes me feel like an archaic maiden incapable of survival without a man to save her.  Being treated like a precious object definitely not how I wanted to spend the rest of my life.  I should have known he was honor bound by the code that I wasn't allowed to know entirely as a woman and as not truly involved in the family business.  

"Is that all? Should we go now?" I asked hoping to escape.  Kyuhyun was making weird faces at me.  I wasn't sure I wanted to hear what he was thinking.  

"Yes.  Just let me get you something else," Henry said.  I slumped over the table pushing aside the empty containers.  

"He's not so bad you know.  Me? I'd have refused to marry you which is why they didn't pick me," Kyuhyun said.  I glanced at him wondering what his point was exactly.  That Henry was just conveniently obedient? 

"You're saying he's only in the succession because he would marry me?" I asked.  Kyuhyun frowned.

"Not exactly.  It's more complicated than that..." he said stalled as he tried to think of what to say.  

"Here it is," Henry announced.  I felt him draping something over me.  

"It's just a sweatshirt," Kyuhyun said amused.

"Yes, so? I don't want Nahi to get cold outside," Henry said defensively.

"Ok.  Let's go then," I said pushing myself backwards.  Henry was already lifting me up his hands on my waist to steady me from the unexpected motion.  

"Let's go," Henry said steering me towards the door.  I looked fairly ridiculous in my high heels and hoodie with his shorts.  

"Nahi," Henry said suddenly.  I turned to look at him as we stood in the elevator.  Kyuhyun seemingly distracted playing with his phone.

"What?" I asked.

"You look beautiful," he said softly.  I stared at him but I could tell he meant it.  He leaned in to kiss me on the mouth and I could sense Kyuhyun watching us.  He stared through the reflection in the doors and I had to push Henry off of me to get him to stop.  

"Don't worry, he's just jealous," Henry said to me before faking out Kyuhyun.  Kyuhyun flinched and Henry smiled as he put his arm around my shoulders pulling me closer to him.  

I wasn't exactly sure I could trust my thoughts as they said that they wanted to do that again.  It couldn't be this easy when Henry was using me to get the family seat.  He was using me wasn't he?  I stared up at his face and he winked at me, roughly kissing my cheek.  I didn't know if I could trust him.

(AN: Update.  A little short, but it's all I have time for right now.  I hope you enjoyed it!)