Test of Patience

Save Yourself, I'll Wait

I don't know when I fell asleep.  My alarm went off and I bolted upright.  The anxiety of my exam propelling me upwards more than anything else.  I felt drained but hyper as my feet felt around for my slippers.  I reached to turn off my phone alarm but it was my alarm clock blaring at me.  That was weird.  I'd missed my first alarm?  I looked around for my phone but I didn't see it.  Did I leave it in my purse?  

It didn't matter as the clock registered 6:30 AM.  I had an hour to get dressed and get to school.  After grabbing breakfast to go that would leave me with forty minutes to study as I went to school.  I rushed trying to brush my teeth and wash my face at the same time.  I didn't care this morning what I looked like as long as you could tell I was human that was enough.  I knew the dark circles under my eyes said otherwise but for now it couldn't be helped.  I'd put on a face mask when I got home.  

I grabbed some toast and a banana from the table waving to my family.  They said words to me but I was determined to not waste time I could be studying.

"I'm leaving first.  I have an exam. Bye!" I called out as I put on my shoes already pulling out my notes.  As long as I could walk without tripping then it was a success.  The usual crowd didn't faze me as I elbowed my way into the transfer car.  I had learned from the scariest ahjumma around, my mom, to make my own space.  The ahjummas didn't mind as I spread out my elbows to read my notes.  They seemed to respect students and one even nudged the man next to her to make more space for me.  I smiled at her as I felt the lurch of the brakes.  Time to transfer lines and as I headed out in line order, she let me go ahead of her.  

I made it with twenty minutes to spare.  I sat down in my usual seat and spread out my pencils and erasers.  There was nothing that was going to stop me from acing this exam.  The professor came in precisely five minutes before the start time.  He silently passed out answer booklets and I eagerly wrote down my name.   

"Ok.  Take one and pass them back.  Don't turn them over until I say start," he directed.  We all nervously watched the stacks of paper hoping that there wouldn't be any weird questions.  I was running through the last section of my notes repeating dates to myself silently.   I'd already tucked my notes under the desk and as the exams got to me I took one placing it directly next to my row of sharpened pencils.

"Start," he called exactly on time.  I took a deep breath and flipped over the exam.  I flipped first to the essay question to write an outline.  He wanted us to compare the rise of empires including their usage of various social and cultural ideologies.  I sighed.  I was glad I'd taken more time to study various religions and how they'd spread throughout the world.  This would be an easy one for me as I jotted down a few pointers.  

I went back to answer all the short response questions.  I flew through them and glanced up to check the time.  I still had two hours and I knew that I would be done in half that time.  As I was finishing up the last question, I heard talking.  I looked up and saw someone talking to the professor.  No way, had someone already finished? That was crazy.  It'd only be forty-five minutes.  

"Oh, Henry, what are you doing here?" the professor was saying.  The guy named Henry had apparently been caught peeking in through the doorway.

"Professor Kim, I was just looking for a friend.  I need to return something to her," he said.  The professor nodded.

"Are you sure it's not because you missed my lectures?" he joked.  Henry seemed a little panicked at that.  

"Ah, not that I didn't enjoy it...but..." Henry was saying.  

"But you are majoring in economics?" Professor Kim prompted.

"Yes.  How did you know?" he asked.

"You think I didn't check on you.  You were one of my better students.  I was disappointed to learn you were not going to join our department," Professor Kim said.  I shook my head.  Why was I wasting time listening to them?  Time was still going and I had to start my essay!  I stretched my hands before I began to write.  

I reread my answers before I stood up.  My bag hooked over my shoulder and I headed towards the front.  Professor Kim smiled at me.  I saw a few other exams already in a stack.  

"How was it?" He asked me eyebrows raised in concern.

"Good," I smiled at him.  He chuckled and I knew that I wouldn't mind having him as an advisor if I ever picked a major.

Henry seemed to still be waiting for his friend, his face turned away from me.  I waved goodbye to the professor and walked out.  

"Bye Professor," I heard behind me.  I kept walking thinking someone else had finished.  

I reached for my phone to see exactly how much time I had before my next class.  My bag open and I paused to sort through it.

"Looking for this?" A guy said holding out my phone. 

"Oh thanks, I must have dropped it," I said giving him my best smile.  

"Ah, not exactly.  Don't you remember me?" He asked.   I turned back around to look at him.

"Oh, you stupidly helped me last night!" I said.  I covered my mouth before I could say anything else.

"Stupidly helped? That's a new way to say thank you," he said.  I winced.  Maybe it wasn't so nice to say.  I didn't want everyone at school to know about my family.  It's not as if the mob or gangsters had a great reputation in our country.  They were always showing thick muscled men with lots of tattoos and small IQs.  

I shrugged.  I didn't have anything to say that would improve the situation.  He was not expecting me to be unimpressed by him and his friend.

"Well, actually, I came to apologize.  Maybe you didn't notice, but my friend took your phone.  He pick pocketed it. He's a little too curious," he explained.

"You helped me and then robbed me? That's really classy," I said. 

"I'm sorry.  I came to return it!  I've been looking for you for hours," he said.  I stared at him wondering if that was true.

"How did you know where to find me?" I asked.  

"Your calendar," he admitted.   

"Nice," I said.  He smiled sheepishly.

"Yes, well.  My friend Kyu doesn't tend to agree with rules," he continued.  I stared at him. He was trying to make amends.

"Lucky for you, I didn't notice until know.  I'd suggest you keep your friend from stealing from the wrong people," I said.

"I'll keep that in mind.  Oh, I should introduce myself," he said.  I tried to hide my snort.  This guy was certainly full of himself.

"I'm Henry Lau.  Oh, I mean, Lau Henry.  I keep mixing up the order," Henry explained.  Who was this guy?  I had a feeling I wasn't going to get rid of him in the usual way.  He was new around here and that meant he didn't know the whole story.  I didn't exactly have the nerve to tell him either.  The typical reactions would follow and I wondered which he was.  Scared, jumpy, arrogant, or disbelief, either one would have me rolling my eyes.  I was in my second year of college and each semester I had to deal with this over again.  New classmates learning you part of the mob didn't leave the best impression.  Unless they were a smart and thought I'd hook them up with something.  

I stared at his face wondering if he would be able to handle it.  Oh well, I might as well get it over with.

"I'm Cha Nahi," I said.  He smiled and extended his hand to shake.  I couldn't help laughing.  I can't remember the last time someone wanted to shake my hand.  His hands were really warm which leave me feeling confused.  I cleared my throat slightly to distract myself.  He seemed to notice my weird behavior as he cast his eyes down but he was smiling.   Great.  Way to act weird Nahi, you're making a wonderful impression.  Although, I suppose he already thinks that you are weakling.  Getting hauled around by a common thief isn't exactly a sign of great strength.

"So, how do you like Professor Kim?" he asked.  I was relieved to hear a normal question.

"Good.  I like history, but his anecdotes are hilarious," I said.  He smiled.

"Did he do the one with Genghis Khan?" he asked.

"Yes, his name is-" I answered, "Temujin!" Henry said with me.  We were both laughing.  It had meant a really big deal to the professor that we get it right.  That Genghis Khan was once a boy and earned his title.  

"I didn't realize that he worked his way up from the bottom," I said.  He seemed thoughtful.

"Did you already eat breakfast?" he asked.  My eyes went wide.  I realized that I'd forgotten the banana and toast when I put on my shoes.

"OH, I forgot," I blurted.  He turned his head to laugh at me.  

"I can't believe it!  I left it behind when I was putting on my shoes..." I said surprised rather than embarrassed.  

"Then, I'll buy you breakfast," he announced.  I stared at him wondering why he would.

"No, but you already helped me," I said.  

"Still, but I want to make you forget about the phone," he said.  I pretended to think it over but my stomach made the decision for me growling at the wrong time.  I had been hungry during the exam.  Tests always made me nervous anyway so I usually didn't eat much before them.  Now, it was like a double whammy.  All that extra energy used up quickly writing answers.  I had planned to get a snack after as I had more than three hours before my next class.

"There's a breakfast place I usually go to," I said.  

"Ok, lead the way," he said.  Sliding my phone into it's spot, I adjusted my bag so I wouldn't drop anything. 

I opened the door and held it for him.  He didn't hesitate to go through it.  Maybe this guy wasn't so bad after all.  Most of them would have fought me for the honor of holding the door.  He did wait for me before asking for a table.  It seemed he wasn't as cold as I thought as he pulled out a chair for me.  

"So, Nahi, are you going to tell me why you chased after that man?" he asked.  He was direct and I found myself respecting him.

"Ah, that.  I wanted the cab fare home.  I didn't realize he'd have friends," I answered.  He seemed to accept my answer.

"Do you usually chase bad guys?" he asked.  I frowned.  That was a weird question, but I felt like answering him honestly.

"Yes.  Usually.  It happens a lot more than you'd think," I said.  He was a bit shocked. 

"Really?  Are you a super hero?" he teased.  I laughed.  

"No, I'm not.  It's just part of the family business? I guess you could say it like that," I told him.  He thought for a while.  I wondered if I should just tell that my family was mob.  I had to beg to go to university without a body guard.  More than that I'd had to pass a test and fight my brother and win.  It wasn't easy as he was an expert in tae kwon do.  Luckily, I'd had help from Leo.  He had taught me how to beat my brother specifically.  I suppose he'd felt bad for me always being followed.  Plus, he was also going to the same university.  Seoul National University, he could work and still attend classes.  

"What is the family business?" he asked.  I choked on my water.  

"Are you ok?" he asked.  I struggled to breath in air instead of water.  

"Yes.  I'm fine," I managed.  He didn't seem convinced.

"So, you don't want to talk about it?  How bad could it be? What is your father head of the mob?" he joked.  I stared down at my hands not sure what to say.  Honesty is the best method right?  Do it quick like ripping off a Band-Aid.

"Yes.  He is," I said seriously.  He stopped laughing.  

"Oh, that explains a lot," he said.  Now, I was concerned.  Had he tripped and hit his head when I wasn't looking?  Why was he so calm?  He wasn't exhibiting any of the usual reactions.  No fear or fake sincerity or any of the rest.  Was there something wrong with his brain?

"It does?" I asked curiously.  

"Yes. You chased after a thief.  Let me guess, you were really saving him right?" he pointed at me.  I nodded slowly.

"Wait, how do you know I saved him?" I asked.  

"Because. No one messes with family," he answered simply.  Henry was part of the family?  Not my family though.  I'd remember meeting him.

"You are a gangster?" I half whispered at him.  Now, I felt stupid.  How did I not pick up on that?  But, he was so easy going and laid back.  He didn't put up any extra walls or act tough.  I reinspected his physical appearance.  He might have fake blonde hair, but he did have some muscle.  His clothes weren't unnecessarily bulky or tight.  He didn't go for the typical style and I could tell he was ready to fight.  

"I should go," I said.  Henry seemed startled by my decision.

"Why? You already ordered..." he said sadly.

"You realize that if my brother or his friends see you with me and they find out who you are then bad things will happen, right?" I said slowly.  I glanced around hoping that no one else was paying attention to us.  There weren't that many other customers and they were happily eating.  My stomach growled as I smelled an order being carried past our table.

"Your stomach is more important right now," he said.  I sighed.  I couldn't resist the omelets here.  They were fluffy perfection with the perfect amount of cheese.  If only I'd at least had that banana, then I could walk away with no regrets.  

"Fine, but only because I'm starving and this place has the best omelets.  You take responsibility if anything happens," I told him.  He smiled and showed me the ok sign.  As a warm plate was set in front of me, my doubts vanished.  

"Wow, this is good," he said.  I smirked.  

"Yes, it's delicious!" I let my aegyo out.  He choked on his food this time.  

"Are you ok?" I asked reaching over instinctively to grab his arm.  He looked down at my hand and nodded.  Embarrassed I slowly pulled it away.  Touching strangers.  Seriously, what was wrong with me today?  One thing I learned early on as a kid.  Never touch someone in the family without warning.  I suppose he might have more manners and sense than some, but a lot of accidents had taken place.  My brother had gotten thrown a lot as a kid.  That would explain why he was such a pain, but really I think he did it on purpose.  I think he liked to go flying through the air.  

My phone rang and I pulled it out to see who it was.  It was Leo calling.  He had a secret agreement to check on me with my father.  My father knew that we were close even if he was also one of my brothers' friends.  Yet, the two of us tended to hang back and lay low.  

"Go ahead and answer it," Henry chimed.  I looked up to see him already eating again.  

"Hi oppa," I said.  I heard Leo on the other end. 

"Oh, Nahi.  How was your exam?" he said.  I smiled.  

"Good, I think," I said.  I heard silence for a few beats. 

"N, told me you forgot your breakfast.  I'm supposed to feed you," he said.  I rolled my eyes.

"Aish, oppa. You don't have to listen to him.  N is a babo," I said.  I heard him laugh quietly.

"You're right.  So where are you?" he asked.  

"I'm eating breakfast with a friend," I told him.  Henry smiled while he chewed.

"Oh, then I'll see you later, ok?" Leo wanted me to confirm.

"Yes.  I'll call you before I leave," I said.  

"Good.  I'll take you home. I drove," he said.  

"Ok. Bye oppa!" I said hearing him respond before hanging up.

"See, no one knows about me," Henry said.  I managed not to hit him, just barely.  Instinct again.  If it was my brother, N, then I would have smacked him.  

"Yes, for now," I said.  He smiled pleased with himself despite my irritation.

"Who was that? A bodyguard?" he exaggerated the situation.

"Hmm, well.  I guess you could say that.  He's more like a really good friend," I said.  He nodded impressed.

"Ohhh, wow.  The princess has bodyguards," he said.  I glared at him while putting egg into my mouth.  I'm fairly certain it didn't go across as I'd hoped.  It was hard to be threatening when the food was so good and I didn't want to eat it really slowly.  

"I'm surprised you don't have any," I said sticking my tongue out at him.

"OH, so that's how it's gonna be?" he asked.  I grinned at him.  It was best that he figured that out now.

"Well, don't you have any?" I prompted.

"No.  I have chaperones.  My uncle knows I can look out for myself.  He just doesn't want me causing trouble," he explained.

"Like this? Meeting with me? You realize that our families are probably enemies?" I said.  He grinned.

"Maybe, but it doesn't matter.  I'm new.  I'm allowed to make mistakes," he replied.  I stared at him.  He was over confident but the new guy was never cut that much slack.

"No, that's not it.  You're the prince.  That's why you aren't dead or living with the elders," I said. He smirked taken aback by my conclusion.

"If that's what you think..." he said.  I nodded.

"Of course.  I know from experience," I said.  He shook his head. 

"So, are you done?" I asked.  He sat back and I knew that he was finished.

"Then, I'll pay the bill.  Sorry, but we'll have to part ways.  We might be seen together," I whispered.  He inhaled sharply.  

"That's ok.  I've got it," he said.  I stood up and showed him the hundred dollar bill.

"I know.  Thanks!" I said waving it at him.  He smiled knowing that he'd given me that last night.

"Don't you want this back?" he asked.  I peered at what he was holding.  He was tapping something and I watched in chagrin as he used my phone. He even knew how to unlock it.  Or was it already unlocked after used it?  Wait, no.  He'd admitted to looking through it earlier for my schedule.  

"Don't worry.  I won't tell anyone the password," he said seemingly reading my thoughts.  I took a deep breath to calm myself.  It wouldn't do to get angry when he had only picked it up off the table.  

"You should save my number.  In case you need saving again," he said daringly.  He was bold and I had to admit I didn't hate him.

"Fine.  But, what good is a phone call, if the person doesn't show up?" I challenged.  He smiled leaning back to gesture to himself.

"I keep my promises.  I promise to come when you call," he said placing his hand over his heart.  I shook my head in disbelief.

"What you don't think I mean it?  I will.  Try it later.  I keep my promises," he said.  I stared at him reconsidering my first impression.  He wasn't so bad.  He wasn't quite arrogant but he wasn't telling the bare truth.  He managed to enhance his words without lying completely.  I certainly didn't mind looking at him either.  Wait, what am I thinking?  Aish.  Nahi, stop it at once.  You know the consequences of dating.  This is not something you want to start especially with someone from another family.  He didn't even try to hide it.  One guy I dated outside of the family had ended up in a mysterious car accident.  Nothing could be proved, but my brother hadn't had an alibi either.  The guy hadn't died but he had been in the hospital for two months.  After that, I was a nun as far as my class mates were concerned.  I think the story may have carried over slightly in university, but there too many people for it to spread to all of them.  Maybe this time would be different.

(AN: I hope you like this so far.  It may be a little slow at the start, but it should pick up soon.  Also, you may notice I'm changing character details.  So this is now Suju and VIXX!)