First Meeting

Witness Protection Program
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Another day, another case. 

His crisp footsteps rang through the halls. 

“Tell me what’s on the report.” He asked as his subordinate caught up to him. 

“Sir, the chief wants you in his office.” 

“Is it about the new case?” He asked perplexed. Either this was extremely good or extremely bad. 

“He didn’t say.” 

He gave a brief nod and abruptly changed his direction. He knocked twice on the office door before entering as he heard the sound of approval. 

“Minhyuk, take a seat.” The chief motioned with his hands. 

He really didn’t know what was going on. He rarely ever entered this office unless he was reporting cases. 

“Stop being so stiff, breathe a little,” the chief chuckled at his perplexed face. 

“The reason I’m calling you in here is because I’m extremely satisfied with your performance this month. You haven’t entered this force for a long time, but you’re rising the ranks at a rapid pace.” 

He nodded, slightly uncomfortable. He didn’t like when people praised him. 

“The board wants to promote you.” 

“Sir, I don’t think I deserve this. I’ve only been working as hard as everyone else on the team.” He was genuinely shocked. 

“Stop being so humble. Everyone in this force knows you’re going to be promoted eventually. Now, I’m not saying to just take the promotion, I want you to prove yourself to be capable. There’s recently been this new case. Now I have to warn you, it’s an extremely difficult and interesting case, to say the least.” 

“What do you mean by that?” 

It was common knowledge within the force that Kang Minhyuk was bound for great things. He rose through the ranks to become team leader at the ripe age of 23. He just felt slightly uncomfortable with all the acknowledgement he’s been getting. He only joined the force for 2 years. 

“This case is bizarre to say the least. It regards a murder case that happened 10 years ago.” 

“Why hasn’t it been closed yet then?” His eyes scrunched in confusion.

“It’s only now being brought to the court. There also only seems to be one living witness of the murder.” The chief tossed the report across the desk to him. He quickly scanned the contents. 

“Your job is to protect the witness.” 

“Okay but-“ He was confused. This seemed to be an easy case. 

“But this is the tough part. The person accused is a mafia leader, so his men are goi

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter