Chapter 5

Holding on to you [HIATUS]

Hi! I haven't been updating this story for sooo long, I'm so sorry! Here's the next chapter, a little more angst, sorry for that, just bear it for a bit more. Thanks everyone for subscribing!

***

"Why is it taking so long?! We’ve been waiting here for three hours already!”

“Calm down, Heechul. Don’t shout”

“Yeah, as if I could simply calm down”

“It’s madness… Three hours…”

“Everything is going to be alright”

They were talking but I didn’t comprehend a single word. I just sat there, on uncomfortable plastic chair in the corridors and stared blankly at the floor not noticing tears flowing constantly from my eyes. I didn’t know what was happening around me, I had no idea. I just felt, I felt incredible anguish, incredible fear and it made me numb, paralyzed. I couldn’t think straight, not in that moment. I wasn’t able too. I know they were talking to me, trying to comfort me, but I didn’t listen, I didn’t pay attention neither to their voices nor to somebody’s hand caressing my back comfortingly. I could only think of my Hae who was now in the operating theatre fighting for his life. Or should I say the doctors were fighting? I had no idea how long has It lasted but I knew that it’s been long, so painfully long, it seemed like eternity to me. I couldn’t take it anymore yet I didn’t even move, I was too weak.

“I’m going to bring something to drink” somebody said and the other person nudged me gently at my side.

“Hyuk? Do you want some water?” they asked. I shook my head not looking at any of them. Someone sighed.

“Take something. He needs to drink”

“Yeah.. okay”

Kangin left and it became painfully quiet again. Until the door to the operating theatre burst opened with a loud thud. I jerked my head upwards and nearly stood up but what I said disappointed me completely. The nurse was running through the corridors, she passed by us not sparing us a single glance and disappeared in one room. Seconds after she came back, rushing off back to the operating theatre with a pouch filled with blood. I felt incredibly dizzy, Shindong had to hold me because I threatened to stumble right then and there. All I could comprehend was my baby was in such a bad shape, in such a bad condition and I couldn’t do anything, anything to help him through it. I slipped back to my seat and sobbed heavily, Sungmin sitting by my side caressing my hair and whispering in my ear that everything will be alright. But he lied. He didn’t know, none of us knew what is going to happen. We could only hope and pray but nothing was for sure. And that thought was killing me.

“Hyuk please, calm down. He’s a fighter, he’s going to make it. Please…” Sungmin kept saying but I just couldn’t refrain myself from crying. I felt horrible, useless and so scared… Never had I been so frightened in my life, never. Here I was, about to lose everything that mattered to me, just like this. Just because some freaking bastard wanted to hurt him, to…kill him, to take him away from me. I couldn’t let it happen so I kept praying and begging and pleading.

God please, save him.

“What is going on with my children when appa is far away?!” I snapped and instantly raised my head hearing familiar voice. When I saw who has come I jerked upwards and immediately rushed into the leader’s arms.

“Teukie hyung!” I sobbed holding him tightly and feeling his hands on my back made me feel a bit better. 

“Hyuk… Hyuk, I’m… I don’t even know what to say…” but no words were needed when I felt wetness on my shoulder indicating that Leeteuk has been crying as well. Who could blame him? He has always been the most emotional in our group followed by me and Donghae and knowing that Hae was in such a situation… how could he not cry when he treated him like his own son? Soon I felt other pairs of hands on me and before I could even realize what is going on we were squeezed in a group hug and I didn’t even notice yet another member arriving.

“Jungwoon hyung!” and Yesung was the second who experienced my bear hug and my tears on his shirt but I knew they understood. They all knew that among us it was me who hurt the most, it was me who cared the most and finally it was me who loved Donghae the most. So they hugged me, kissed my cheeks and my head, squeezed my hands reassuringly and I even drank a bit of water Kangin brought me. I somehow felt a bit stronger with all of them around me, especially the leader, though I didn't even wonder how could this happen that they were here so quickly. 

"But..." Siwon spoke suddenly, as if reading my thoughts  "What are you doing here? How come you've arrived so quickly?"

Yesung smiled weakly.

"We came for the concert. We wanted to surprise you, that's why we didn't told anyone. But then our airplane was delayed and we couldn't make it on time so we called Ryeowook"

"God, when I heard him crying so heavily on the phone I felt my heart stopped" Leeteuk shook his head, fighting off the tears. No one really answered anymore and there came the silence after. But then our leader broke it again. 

“You know” he spoke “I’m usually a bright and nice person. But I swear…” he snarled “If I meet this guy who did this to him…to us… I will kill him with my bare hands”

The anger boiled in my system yet again at the single thought of the person who shoot to my baby. How… how it is even possible? How could anybody shoot to him? To such a sweetheart as him? I felt new tears gathering in my eyes, but this time these were the tears of anger.

“Yeah, I know. I feel exactly the same” hissed Kyuhyun and most of the members nodded at his words.

“How long have you been waiting?” Yesung asked and Siwon sighed heavily.

“Almost three hours and a half an hour…” he answered looking at his watch.

“Can’t believe it…” the leather whispered shaking his head and squeezing his eyes shut “What a nightmare”

Nightmare it was, indeed. I just wanted to wake up with Donghae in my arms, all healthy and alright, having the assurance that what had happened was just a dream, a bad dream, not the reality.

Just when I thought I could not take it anymore the big doors opened for the second time. I saw the doctor, Abby along with some male doctor and two nurses getting out of the operating theatre. I rushed to them nearly tripping over my own feet.

“How is he?” I questioned immediately turning their attention to me. Abby smiled weakly, she seemed very tired.

“For now he’s stable but it was very difficult surgery… His aorta  was seriously damaged and he lost lots of blood but we managed to save him. For now, we just have to wait. I can’t tell you when will wake up and if he will…” she answered squeezing my shoulder reassuringly. Seeing my pale face she quickly added “Hey, but we never know. Maybe he will wake up in few days and everything will be fine? We need to think positively. Okay?” she took my face in her hands, her gaze concerned but her smile somehow made me smile too, weakly nonetheless. I nodded.

“C…can I see him now?” I asked fearing the answer. She sighed.

“I shouldn’t let you because you’re not a family but we are in America and I know you are his boyfriend. So this relationship allows you to” she patted my hand “Wait few minutes, we’ll take him to the room 5 upstairs, make sure you wear overall. And boys?” she turned to the members standing behind me “You can see him as well but please, do not enter the room all in once, okay?” and with that said she left not before giving us yet another smile. I turned to the other members and without sharing any words we all caught the lift which took us to the higher floor. We arrived just in time, when my baby was being transported to the room and I nearly cried again when I saw him. There were pipes all around him, one disappearing into his mouth, the other connecting his hand to the drip filled with blood. The machines were beeping and soughing and his face was so pale, his eyes closed as if he was sleeping. I ran after the doctors who put the rollaway bed beside the wall, the nurse checking the drip and adjusting the sheets over him. I lightly bowed to them and wore the overall one of them gave me, then sat on a stool beside Donghae’s bed. I haven’t even realized I was crying again, seeing him in such a condition, lying there almost lifelessly. Only few hours before he was jumping and dancing happily on a stage with me and now… Life can sometimes be unfair, can’t it? I took his weak hand in mine and squeezed it gently then brought it to my mouth and kissed each knuckle, each finger leaving wet trails of my own tears on his skin.

“Hae…” I whispered “Hae, look at you… My poor baby…” I sobbed again and put my other hand in his disheveled hair caressing it lovingly “I’m so sorry I couldn’t protect you” I mumbled, my vision blurring due to the tears which were constantly trailing from my eyes down my cheeks, chin and neck. My gaze never left his face, desperately looking for any sign of waking up, of hearing me and understanding my words. But no, nothing like this happened. His beautiful features stayed in a shape they were before, not changing a single bit.

“Everything will be okay, right? You wouldn’t leave me, would you? You promised…” I hiccupped “You promised me, baby. Don’t you dare… “I uttered through clenched teeth “Don’t you dare leaving me, Donghae. You hear me? I will not forgive you this, never, so please, listen to me” I kissed every inch of his face, pressing my lips to his skin desperately and squeezing my eyes shut. Suddenly I felt a hand on my shoulder, I turned around to see Leeteuk standing behind me and giving me a faint smile which faded instantly when he turned his gaze to my lover laying on the bed.

“You know, Hyuk… “he spoke “I’ve never, ever imagined something like this taking place. I thought it only happens in a movies, not in real life, not to any of us. It’s such a… distress experiencing it… It’s… “his voice broke “Believe it or not, but… but I really treat him as my own son” he whispered taking Donghae’s limp hand in his and gently brushing some bangs off his face.

“I know” I mumbled kissing Donghae’s hand repeatedly. We stayed in silence for some time, no words were needed because we both were hurting so much on the inside, in a different way but in the same expression. I lied my head on my baby’s chest, careful not to touch his wound and I let few lonely tears slip from my orbs to the sheets he was covered with. After some time Leeteuk’s fingers dancing through my hair slowly lulled me to sleep.