Chapter 4

Holding on to you [HIATUS]

Edited, because I've found many mistakes (mainly medical), i'm sorry for them, I can justify myself only by saying I had a big adrenaline rush while writing and I must have taken it too personally and less with common sense. Anyway, here's the edited chapter!

***

My knees gave out. I felt so week suddenly, all the strength I had inside just few minutes before disappeared into the thin air. Ryeowook, Sungmin, Kyuhyun, they were all crying. The rest of the members looked at me worryingly monitoring my reaction, my every step. But in that moment I didn’t care.  I wept, heavy sobs jerking my entire figure. Nothing mattered in that moment because my baby… my precious Hae was lying there almost lifelessly, his head held by some girl who  was kneeling just behind him crying her eyes out. His previously white t-shirt was soaking, literally soaking with blood. And that was the sight I had never expected to see, in none of my nightmares.

“Hae…” I whispered not believing what my eyes had seen. I got closer to him on my knees and it must have been the most pitful sight ever. Even the girl holding him stopped crying and just followed my every move. They all knew now, they knew that he was my love and he was my life.

“Baby…” I took his face in my hands gently and sobbed and cried and my vision got blurred because of so many tears falling from my eyes. But I saw that he had looked at me, his pupils dilated and almost entirely closed, his skin so hot I almost got burned.

“Hyukkie…” his voice was so faint, so weak… I couldn’t believe it was happening. It has to be the worst nightmare ever, I thought. I only wanted to wake up, with my baby lying next to me but I had to face the reality. Because it was reality. As much as I tried to deny it.

“Hyukkie… D…don’t c…cry… “ And then I mourned even more heavily, even louder, my trembling hand  taking his, my lips kissing it like crazy and then I sobbed to the point it was hard to breathe.

“What have they done to you… What have they done…”

Siwon kneeled beside me and on the other side Kangin, Shindong while Kyuhyun was trying to calm Sungmin and Ryeowook down though he himself could hardly contain his own tears.

“He’s bleeding so much…” a sob came from behind me and I recognized that voice as a Sungmin’s. “Hyung… Hyung, he’s bleeding so much!”

It was true. His upper clothing was entirely covered with red liquid, it was barely white anymore. And it was probably the thing that made Kangin take off his own shirt, he rolled up Hae’s soaked t-shirt revealing round wound on his right side, just below his chest and the blood was flowing from it and I felt like dying. I screamed and cried, Siwon hugged me enveloping me in his strong arms not letting me look as it made me break down even more, if it was even possible. But when I heard silent moan that expressed anything but pain I struggled out of Siwon’s grip and instead managed to take my baby in my arms, I kissed his forehead and whispered soothing words while Kangin was pressing rough material to his injured skin not letting the blood pour so much.

“Hyukkie… It hurts… It hurts so much…” he rasped and I could see tears rolling down his cheeks, his face was contorted in pain and again a sharp pain shot through my heart.

“Shhh baby… Hold on, the help is coming. “

I once again took his face in my hands and looked deeply in his eyes, it made him glance at me, his eyelids about to give out.

“Hyukkie… I’m cold…” he whined silently and that was when I started to shake my head frantically.

“No! No, please don’t close your eyes, don’t give up! Baby, please look at me, look at me!” I shouted, I was totally out of my mind, I’ve lost my senses but I knew that he can’t lose his consciousness, I won’t let him to, no.

“But I want to sleep…” he whispered closing his eyes and I had seen his struggle to open them again.

“Hae, he’s right, please stay with us, the ambulance is on its way, just hold on for a little bit more” begged Siwon my baby’s hair, his eyes telling in what of a distress he was in. But Donghae didn’t listen, his eyelids already too heavy to stay in place, his eyes eventually rolled back and then the silence enveloped us and my head started spinning, I felt almost like I’ve lost my consciousness until Heechul woke me up from my trance.

“” he cursed “!!! Where is this ing ambulance?!!” he had shouted so loudly my ears started to tingle and then I felt him kneeling just beside me. “Hae? Holy , Donghae!” he cursed shaking gently my boyfriend’s head, checking his pulse, his breathing which had stopped. “Wake up! Please, wake up, don’t do this to us!” he screamed and Siwon had to calm him because he broke down and started sobbing uncontrollably and I just kept kneeling there unable to move nor talk. I just felt tears flowing constantly from my eyes and the pain in my chest that wouldn’t subside, not even a tiny bit.

"We have to resuscitate him, immediately!" Shindong said and without waiting for anybody's answer he started to do a CPR to Hae. 

“I’m going to kill him…” Kyuhyun hissed “I’m going to kill that motherer who dared to shoot to him!”

But I hadn’t been listening nor paying attention to anyone except for my baby. My baby who wasn’t breathing anymore, who’s heart stopped beating and whose eyes kept closed. I buried my head in his hair and wept and I my entire body trembled, cold shivers running down my spine, I was numb.But then I’d heard a siren and I knew the help was coming but I refused to let go of him until the paramedics gently pushed me off their way and Siwon again enveloped me and let me cry on his shirt while they were putting my baby on a stretcher. 

“I’m going with him “I said “I must go with him”

“We’ll go together then. “whispered Siwon “Don’t worry, everything is going to be alright. Don’t worry” he kissed my hair and we rushed after paramedics. Having received their permission we hopped into an ambulance where they had already connected Hae to all those machines and the loud, constant beeping sound could be heard soon making my head spin again and almost falling to the ambulance floor if not for Siwon who was holding me protectively. 

“Ventricular fibrillation! Stop the compressions, charge the defibrillator to the 150 J, now! Mark, keep ventilating him!” shouted some woman in red uniform who was standing the nearest to my Hae and then they cut his shirt, charged the machine, put the electrodes on his chest…

“Clear!” and his body jerked uncontrollably, I couldn’t watch it, never had I felt such pain, such agony, such torment, never. I hid my face in Siwon’s chest and wept and listened to the machines beeping, charging and discharging sounds of defibrillator, voices of paramedics and all of it hurt my ears and my heart in the process.

“Still ventricular fibrillation, continue compressions and ventilation”

“Give him one milligram of adrenaline! Quickly!”

“Charge to 250 J!”

And everything repeated again and again for a few times until we reached the hospital. Siwon had to nearly drag me out of the vehicle, my legs were so weak, so numb. They took off immediately leading rollaway bed with Donghae to the hospital as fast as they could and we run after them until they stopped us just before the white doors of an rescue room.

“I apologize but you cannot go any further. “ Said woman in a white overall with an apologizing smile and seeing my pathetic state she added “I’m Abby. Don’t worry, he’s in good hands, we’ll take care of him. I promise we’ll help him out of this. “she put her hand on my shoulder reassuringly before taking off to the emergency room where the resuscitation continued. We waited and waited and I watched through glass windows my baby’s lifeless body on a hospital bed with doctors doing compressions on his chest, injecting medications to the cannula inserted into the vein on his hand, defibrillating him and it lasted so long, so long I felt tired. I was tired of crying, my eyes horribly swollen, my face red and moist, my limps numb from chanting his name over and over again and my vision blurred. My head was spinning, my body felt weak and I felt grateful when Siwon helped me to sit on a chair silently preventing me from watching the heartbreaking scene. We'd waited and waited, too long for my liking until I’d heard commotion coming from the emergency room. I looked at Siwon, both of us confused and scared and I stood up to get to know what was going on, I had to gather some informations, immediately.

“Abby, please, it’s been thirty minutes, stop it, you won’t rescue him!” a persuading male voice could be heard and his words made me stumble a bit.

“No, no, I won’t give up, give me five more minutes!” answered the doctor we met before, Abby and I thought she must be and angel sent from above for she hasn’t stopped her efforts to bring my lover back to us.

“Abby…”

“Five more minutes, please”

“Okay… Only five” answered the man after the seconds of hesitation.

“Thank you, thank you. Charge to 360 J! Now! Stop the compressions! Clear!”

Silence.

“Still ventricular fibrillation…”

I was about to break down again, to scream, to shout, to curse but then I saw Siwon kneeling on the floor, praying so earnestly, with his eyes closed and hands joined together, seeing his faith woke up something in me and so I silently kneeled beside him.

“God… God, I know I’ve sinned many times, I know I’m not worthy even asking but please… “ I sobbed “Please don’t let him die. Save him, please. He’s my everything. I wouldn’t be able to live without him, so please…” I hadn’t noticed Siwon watching me while crying silently nor passing nurses being so moved by my prayer that they had tears in their eyes, I kept praying “Hae, please… Baby, please, don’t leave me, don’t die on me. You promised… “

“Again!”

“You promised you would never leave me”

“Still the same, doctor”

“I can’t live without you”

“Again! Charge! “

“I love you”

“Clear!”

“Please…”

“A… Normal sinus rhythm! We have him! We have him back!”

I opened my eyes abruptly and rushed to the window. Abby was wiping sweat from her forehead and when she saw me looking she smiled and I couldn’t put my happiness into words.

“God, thank you!” Siwon shouted behind me and soon I could feel his bear hug and I couldn’t help but smile, my gums showing up. At that moment I could also see the rest of the members running through the hospital corridors and when they spotted us they speeded even more.  I’ve never felt more happy to see them than at that moment. They approached us and kept asking how Hae is and Siwon told them everything for I was still unable to talk. Then Abby got out of the emergency room looking exhausted and worried.

“He’s breathing for now but it’s not over. The bullet cut about the aorta, he lost lots of blood, we need to make transfusions in regular intervals to keep him alive. He needs to be operated on immediately but he’s still unstable. We need your permission to perform surgery …”

“Are there serious risks?” I interrupted her mid-sentence. She just sighed.

“He has 40 % chance of surviving  and…”

“I may not see him anymore after the surgery?”

Silence. Everybody held their breath waiting for an answer.

“Yes. “she answered “But there are still 40 % chance that he’ll live through it and return to full health. However, if we don’t perform surgery he’ll die tonight”

I squeezed my eyes shut and exhaled heavily. I had no reason to hesitate really but I was scared, so damn scared. What if I wouldn’t be able to see his smile anymore? To see his beautiful eyes sparkling and looking at me with so much love?

“Hyuk, just sign it, dammit. “hissed Heechul.

“We have to save him, please sign it. “joined Siwon squeezing my arm comfortingly. I exhaled once again and eventually opened my eyes, then without sharing a single word I took the paper from the doctor and signed not reading anything written on it.

“Great, mr Lee. “Abby smiled and patted my back “Prepare the operating theatre! “ she shouted to the nurses who were standing nearby and they complied immediately. All we could do know was waiting and praying that everything will be alright.