Chapter 8

Men of the Moon

AN: So to prevent daebok03 from having anymore nightmares, here's an update!

 

 

Taecyeon marched into the room happily, his right hand clutching onto a dagger.

“Hero-ro, I found it,” Taecyeon sang out. In the moment of excitement, Taecyeon reverted to the nickname he had given to Jaejoong when they were young. All noticed the change in how Taecyeon had called out to Jaejoong, all except the both of them.

The younger wolf drew the dagger from its casing as he approached Jaejoong. Yunho’s eyes were a bright yellow as he followed every movement of Taecyeon. His fury could be felt by all as the alpha was helpless behind the silver cage.

Nostrils flared when Taecyeon stopped short in front Jaejoong. There was no mistake that the blade was covered with dried blood. And Jaejoong was suddenly afraid to know whose blood was that. Purple pupils locked with a similar purple, Taecyeon along the blade, mewling as the faint metallic taste assaulted his mouth.

“Why?”

It was whispered and was almost missed. But he heard it loud and clear. A haunting chuckle swept across the room.

“You loved him so much and he loved you equally so why?”

The laughter halted abruptly.

“He stopped loving me.” The voice was so full of scorn that Jaejoong had to shut his eyes 

“He never,” he whispered.

Taecyeon wiped his eyes, “Oh please, save your lies for someone who would listen to you.” With that, the crazed wolf was back.

“I don’t understand, Taec. I don’t. He actually appointed-“

“You as the alpha, I know!”

Jaejoong wanted to smash Taecyeon’s head on the floor. Hard. If there was anything he hated, it was people cutting him off. With the fact that he just could not get the fact that Bi loved him into the dense head of his brother frustrated him to no ends.

“Shut up, Taec! You shall not speak a word until I finish or otherwise. And you know true well that I always follow through my threats,” Jaejoong enunciated each word clearly, eyes flashing in anger as he glared down at his brother.

Leeteuk was taken aback at Jaejoong’s lashing. In fact, he was very shocked at the beta. Despite the clear disadvantage the pretty wolf was at, given that he was surrounded by Taecyeon’s lackeys and that they were still trapped within the silver cage, Jaejoong had confronted him. However, Taecyeon seemed not to notice for there was actually a thread of fear flitting through his irises as Jaejoong locked his stare with him.

Satisfied, Jaejoong took a deep breath.

“Taec, I was never to be the alpha. Now, before you start protesting,” Jaejoong hastily added as he saw Taecyeon fidgeting, “have you ever seen Bi trained me?

“Don’t answer the rhetorical question. Of course you hadn’t seen Bi personally training me for it had been Kyungsung-shii that was my mentor. I hope you haven’t forgotten who Kyungsung-shii was. He was the beta of our clan.

“So tell me. What does this mean?” Jaejoong questioned as he turned to face the now silent wolf. However Taecyeon remained silent which caused Jaejoong to be a little miffed and confused for the Taecyeon he knew would jump at the opportunity to overturn his words.

“It meant that you were to be the next beta of the clan.”

“Exactly!” Jaejoong snapped his fingers and shot an appreciative smile at his alpha.

“Can you see it now? You were the one that Bi painstakingly mentored for, not me. You were the one that was going to be the alpha, not me. You were always the one that got let off leniently whenever we got caught, not me. I hope you still remembered that time when you were punished to do the dishes while I had to sweep the lawn and garden. The ing lawn and garden, Taec! We were only nine then!”

Jaejoong whirled around and faced Taecyeon as he blinked angry tears away. He was not jealous that Bi loved Taecyeon more for he was just an orphan wolf who Bi found coincidentally. But he cannot deny that a part of him rotted away whenever Bi’s biasness showed. No matter how hard he tried to be the perfect child of Bi, no matter how hard Bi tried to be partial, he could never win. Not against Taecyeon. He maybe the favoured child of the legendary alpha in the eyes of the public, but deep in Jaejoong knew he was always second to Taecyeon.

“Taec?” Jaejoong questioned carefully when his brother remained silent. Something was not right, he could feel it for he could see the veins bulging on his forehead and his face was turning red.

“I’m done with my piece,” the pretty wolf said slowly, eyes not leaving the huffing wolf.

“Lies!” Taecyeon roared as he finally found his voice. “He clearly passed duties that were meant only for the alpha to you!”

“After you started to behave wrongly, or in terms of Bi’s, ‘a passing rebellious stage that he would get off soon, Hero-yah’ unfortunately,” Jaejoong spat.

“I was not being rebellious. I was angry because my position as an alpha was stolen by you.”

“You, of all people, should know that I had no intention of being an alpha. You knew that I didn’t like being bound by the rules and what-nots an alpha had to abide!”

No wonder you were willing to submit under me, Yunho could not help it.

Now’s not the time, Yunho-yah! Jaejoong chided. And despite the situation in front of him, he did not miss that thread of vulnerability in his alpha’s voice.

Sorry.

“Who are you kidding. I was told that Bi asked if you wanted to be the alpha and you agreed. You ing agreed, Hero!”

Jaejoong looked up in alarm for this was the first time he heard of this.

“Who. Told. You. That?”

“Does it matter? What mattered was you accepted the position!”

“WHO. TOLD. YOU. THAT?!”

The words spilled out of his mouth before Taecyeon knew it. “Kyungsung-shii!”

Anger rolled out in waves from the model as he trembled in fury. There was no need to be in Jaejoong’s pack in order to feel the rage for it was of such intensity that Taecyeon and his pack could not help but keen over.

“Nonsense! I was still learning from him then! It only stopped when you disappeared from home!”

“What’s in it for him to lie to me!” Taecyeon defended. His voice trembled slightly from the seed of doubt that was planted in him.

‘What’s in it for him, what’s in it for him, what’s in it for him,’ The words swirled around his head and Jaejoong could feel an impending migraine.

And suddenly everything snapped in place.

“Who told you I was dead?” Jaejoong asked hastily.

Taecyeon cocked his head haughtily, “I saw your charred body, or so I thought.”

“Who brought you the corpse?” Jaejoong questioned again.

Taecyeon shot him an irritated look. Was this an interrogation or what?

“It was Kyung- Kyungsung-shii…” And suddenly Taecyeon was confused as hell.

The words, the rumours, the actions… Kyungsyung-shii had deliberately planted that seed of doubt in him, hoping that Taecyeon would strike back. And what a brilliant strike he gave, laughing mirthlessly when he realised he was played by Kyungsung like a fine piece of chess.

He fell to the floor, the fight leaving his body. Immediately, Jaejoong gathered him in his arms, rocking him to a tune of a silent lullaby.

“But why?” A weak whisper echoed in the quiet room.

“He wanted power. He wanted to be alpha. But he knew he was not able to defeat Bi, not when we were always there with him. So he came up with a plan, a well-thought plan I must admit. Turning his son against him, how wonderful yet evil it was. The two-faced beta, feeding you a constant stream of lies while pretending to be on my side when you came up against us. Damn, he was the one who told me you were dead!”

Jaejoong tightened his arms around Taeceyon as the vile memories assaulted him once again.

 

 

 

 

The room was deafening quiet. None dared to disturb the two brothers who were within each other’s embrace.

“I-I-I killed Bi,” Taecyeon stuttered as he held his trembling hands up. Anguished sobs wrecked his body as Jaejoong scrambled to run a soothing hand down his back.

“You didn’t, Taec. Bi knew you were going to kill him. And if there was anything, Bi is a very proud man. He rather dies in your arms then to be assassinated by some other fools. He was prepared, Taec. He told me that himself.”

The guilt wolf cried even louder and Jaejoong winced at the decibel. Changmin rolled his eyes. Jaejoong was bad at consoling people.

“He should have passed his powers to elders for safeguarding. He should not have let me attain it. It was the hunger for power that drove me crazy.” Taecyeon muttered as he stared blankly at the forgotten dagger lying on the floor.

“He wanted that. I doubt he trusted the elders then, given the situation now. He wanted you to know that you were the chosen one. Although he did passed some powers-“

“To you, isn’t it? Powers to command over me,” Taecyeon butted.

Jaejoong frowned at being cut off again, but his features softened when he realised that there was no heat in Taecyeon’s words.

“Wait here.” And Jaejoong got off the floor and took the only portrait hanging in the room off the wall. He passed the frame to Taecyeon and implored him to peel it off.

Save him please. Three simple words were written behind the portrait; undeniably that it was Bi’s handwriting.

And Taecyeon understood, his fingers caressing the black ink.

“He still had to bring you in even though this photograph was supposed to be just him and me!” Jaejoong huffed in mock spite.

“Oh brother, just admit that he loved me more than you,” Taecyeon rebutted, a tear-stained smile adorning his face.

“Now, now, don’t get cheeky with me. I can make you tend the lawn and garden in a split second,” Jaejoong warned. Taecyeon simply grinned as he buried his face deeper into his brother’s chest, knowing that he was not serious with his threat. Not when he purposefully brought back that damn incident that his brother dear should have forgotten a long time ago. Heck, it happened decades ago, and yet Jaejoong was unwilling to let go of the pitiful grudge.

“But how did you know about the powers. I did not know of it until today.”

“You tested on me, didn’t you?” Taecyeon shook his head at the pretty wolf.

Jaejoong held his tongue at the accusation, eyeing wondering everywhere but Taecyeon.

“You made me dragged that chair towards you. You made me shut up until you allowed me to talk. I’m not stupid, Hero-ro,” Taecyeon sang the last word out.

“Oh god. Just, shut up,” Jaejoong cried as he finally registered the century old nickname.

“Jaejoongie, I really don’t want to spoil this heartwarming moment, I really don’t. But DBSK is having their first comeback on Inkigayo in an hour and I need to pee!” A snarky voice came from the silver cage.

Too caught up in the moment, Jaejoong had momentarily forgotten that his family and friends were still caged. Taecyeon waved a hand towards the cage and Nickhun hurried forward to remove the lock. Groans were heard as the wolves stretched and twisted their sore bodies from being enclosed tightly.

“Oh no! I just missed my football practice!” Junsu screeched.

Jaejoong was back to being the umma of the pack as he pinned Junsu with a death glare. “You just recovered and you are not going to be anywhere near the damn ball until I say so.”

Junsu slumped unhappily as he glared at Taecyeon. “It’s alllllll your fault. If you didn’t send people down to stab me, I would have been on the field now!” He pointed at Taecyeon as he raged. Yoochun slapped a hand across the blabbermouth and smiled awkwardly while Junsu attempted to speak through the hand.

Taecyeon waved a dismissive hand at the duo. “It’s okay. It’s true that I ordered Jun K. to stab him. But I’m not going to apologise for it.” Nobody expected any apologies anyway. It was a cut-throat world outside and every alpha would do anything to keep their pack safe, even if they had to resort to unscrupulous means at times.

“How did you know that Junsu is a werewolf. Not many people know that he is one, and those that know that are all in this room,” Yunho asked, perturbed at the situation still.

“I received an anonymous letter, saying that Junsu is a wolf and that his beta owns something of mine,” Taecyeon explained honestly.

“That will be me,” Jaejoong piped in quietly.

“Well, you certainly like being beta a lot,” Taecyeon chuckled.

“I only have to listen to one man, but the rest have to listen to me. It’s not a bad deal, isn’t it?”

 

 

A shadow slinked away silently from the noisy room as his eyes narrowed in anger. His plan was thwarted yet again.