six

Runner Runner
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter


 

 

Six

 

When June came around, so did my “birthday.” Well, it was the birthday of Lee Jungah, not Kim Hyojung.

 

“Let’s have that bonfire on the beach we’ve been talking about for ages!” Baekhyun squeals enthusiastically. “Jongin’s house has a nice spot for that.”

 

When I told Kris, he immediately shook his head. “You guys can have the bonfire over here,” he said, tilting his chin towards the beach outside. “Invite them over; I need to be able to keep an eye on you.”

 

When I told my friends that it would be better to have it near by house, they were far from bummed. In fact, they seemed excited at the indirect invitation to my house.

 

"Well, it is only a five minute walk or so from my house. It won't be too different." Jongin grinned at me and I nodded thankfully.

 

Kris decided to be even more brotherly and bought meat and snacks for us. If this whole thing ever ended and I got to go home, I was going to make sure that Kris got a good reference from my father.

 

I heard the doorbell ring and when I opened the door I didn't even get a look at the guest before I got barrelled over by an overexcited red head.

 

"Oh my god, you said you had a hot brother, right?" I heard Baekhyun say as he bounded into the house with much gusto. "Where is he?"

 

"Firstly, I didn't say he was attractive, Eunjung did. And secondly, he's out the back grilling meat for us."

 

"Fantastic!" Baekhyun exclaimed, clapping his hands together. "I love meat."

 

The others all followed Baekhyun into the house albeit a lot more calm. Tao gave me a sheepish expression and apologised for Baekhyun's excitedness. “He had a lot of chocolate on his way here,” he muttered. “Sugar rush.”

 

"Happy birthday!" Eunjung bounded in and threw her arms around me for a hug before releasing me.

 

"Yah," I hear Lu Han laugh after her, “can someone please grab Byun Baek before he hurts himself?”

 

"Happy birthday, Jungah." I turned away from a flailing Baekhyun to see a sincere, sweet smile on Yixing's face. Oh, and his darned dimple.

 

"Thanks Yixing." I said, before unexpectedly being enveloped in a hug from him. I smiled and wrapped my arms around him, squeezing him back before Jongin pulled me away for a hug too.

 

"So, can we have a quick tour of this place?" Jongin asked as he casually tucked his hands in his back pockets.

 

"Sure, follow me," I gestured towards the living room.

 

I showed them all around the house and told them they were welcome to go anywhere except Kris' room because liked his privacy. Well, I guess that wasn't exactly a lie, but Baekhyun definitely looked bummed that he couldn't even look inside.

 

"So when can we meet your brother?" Baekhyun asked mischievously.

 

"Ah, we can probably head to the back now. Min - I mean Kris oppa should almost be done cooking. “ I was a stuttering mess, having almost said Minseok oppa out of habit, but they didn’t even seem to notice. I sighed a silent sigh of relief as I opened up the door to the back patio and saw Kris give me an extremely unimpressed look, and I knew instinctively that he must've heard my slip.

 

"Oh my god..." I heard Baekhyun breathe his words out and I looked over to see his fingers tightening around Lu Han's forearm. "He's - he's..."

 

Kris raised an eyebrow at us and Lu Han leaned over towards his friend worriedly.

 

"Baek? Breathe," He said in a soothing voice as he tried to pry Baekhyun's fingers off his arms gently.

 

"He's so perfect!" Baekhyun said as he relinquished Lu Han's arm with a flourish.

 

Baekhyun began to make a quick dash for Kris and alarm grew in the latter's eyes. I guess he may have been okay with gun-wielding, martial art-trained assassins attacking him, but he wasn't quite used to dealing with petite, feisty little redheads running towards him with love hearts flashing in their eyes.

 

"What was... that?" I blinked in surprise as I watched Baekhyun take a seat across from Kris to stare at him grill with the most fascination I’ve ever seen on his face, before doubling over clutching my stomach. "What the hell is Baek doing?"

 

"Well," Jongin shrugged, "I guess Kris is his type."

 

"Hang on, what?" I said, wheezing from the laughing fit I'd been experiencing just seconds ago. "I didn’t realise- I didn’t think he actually- I thought he was just-"

 

"Extremely sassy, quick-witted and good with makeup?" Lu Han asked and I nodded in response. "Well we all thought that about our Baekbaek until - "

 

"Until the day he told us that Rain was the love of his life, and that he would definitely marry him one day" Jongin finished.

 

"Can I eat yet?" Tao grumbled, obviously bored with the topic. His stomach rumbled in agreement.

 

Tao and Jongin stayed near the barbecue to help Kris finished grilling. The rest of us wandered near the water and kicked at the small waves rolling in. Eunjung and Lu Han flicked some water at each other and goofed around like the perfect couple straight out of a

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter