Chapter 3 - Rescue Mission

The Turning of the Poker Tables

The Turning of the Poker Tables

Chapter 3 – Rescue Mission

 

Kris flickered his eyes open slowly. Immediately, he gripped his head in his hands and groaned, squeezing his eyes shut tight as the pain flooded his senses. He waited for the pain to pass before opening his eyes carefully and looking around. He was on the floor in his house.

 

His eyebrows furrowed in confusion as he rose to his feet, scanning the area as if it was foreign.

 

How did I get here? He thought to himself.

 

The last place he’d remembered being in was the mysterious room. Did they knock him unconscious? Take him back here?

 

Suddenly, his thoughts turned to Tao and even though his body pulsated with unexplainable pain, he began to run through the house, searching high and low for his panda. To his dismay and shock, he was nowhere to be seen.

 

Kris made his way back to the living room and sat himself on the couch, staring at the floor in thought. He ran the images through his mind again – being attacked in the street, waking in the dim-lit room. Nothing else would come to his mind, he didn’t remember being attacked again or brought elsewhere.

 

Pushing those thoughts aside, he tried to remember what the conversation had been like in the room. As soon as he saw the face of the man in his mind, his head fell back into his hands and he groaned angrily. He’d remembered they’d threatened to take Tao away from him – and that’s exactly what they’d done.

 

Anger coursed through his blood as his breathing became heavier; causing his rage to unleash as he lashed out and threw anything he could lift that he spotted around the room, yelling in pure rage at how stupid he’d been.

 

He stared at the room which had been littered with magazines, broken glass and other miscellaneous items as he panted; his eyes wide and his heart broken as he settled and his anger slowly eased. Now it just hurt – he felt numb after the last emotion had passed.

 

Kris began to cry, holding a hand on his forehead in disbelief as he spluttered out incoherent words. He couldn’t believe this had happened but moreover, that he was the cause of it. He’d never wanted harm to come to Tao, he’d always promised to protect him.

 

Pausing for a moment to figure out his emotions, Kris finally walked determinedly out of the door, knowing what he had to do next. He didn’t know where he was going or specifically what he was doing. All he knew was he had to get Tao back, no matter what the cost. He’d trade his own life if he had to.

 

Kris stumbled outside, looking around dumbly as he tried to figure out where to start looking.

 

Where would they have gone? Maybe I’ll check the alleyway…

 

He made his way cautiously to where he had last been attacked and gazed around to check if anyone was following him before slipping into the dark backstreet. Kris scanned the area desperately for any clues or signs they’d been here with Tao but yet, he couldn’t find any.

 

As he turned around to walk back, feeling lost at where to go next, he saw a shadow of a man block his exit. His eyes narrowed, trying to see past the sunlight.

 

Suddenly, he was struck on the back and fell to the floor, groaning before looking behind himself quickly. He saw the devil himself, the man he’d played poker with stood behind him; surrounded by many more henchmen who had slipped out of the shadows. The man stood with a sly and cold smirk as one henchman stood forward, revealing Tao tied and gagged; looking around helplessly and making whimpering noises as he spotted Kris, his eyes wide in fright.

 

The man removed the gag from around Tao’s mouth and he let out a loud scream.

 

“YIFAN!” His breathing was heavy and erratic, fear etched into every feature of his face.

 

Kris didn’t know what to do, he didn’t know what he could do. Slowly, he climbed to his feet and stared at the man coldly, trying to formulate a plan in his mind.

 

“I’ll give you anything. I’ll give you money, I’ll find you drugs, guns, alcohol, women. I don’t care what it is but I’ll get it for you. Just get your filthy hands off my property.” Kris growled, rage filling his voice as he stared the man in the eyes, challenging him. “Take me for all I care.”

 

The man’s smirk seemed to grow like a Cheshire Cat and he shook his head slowly, rejecting all offers made to him.

 

Tao’s gaze never shifted for a second and remained on Kris. He was confused – he knew Kris had done something wrong but he didn’t care anymore what it was, he just wanted to be at home with him in his arms. That was where he felt safe.

 

“Kris…” Tao’s voice was full of pain as he whispered, “I don’t care what you’ve done, I honestly don’t. I just want to get away, I’m scared” He tried to move, tugging his hands which only lead to the thin rope that bound them being pulled tighter, causing a small cry to escape his lips.

 

Kris flinched at the noise, his heart hurting as he stood in silence. After a few moments, he stepped closer to Tao, the men closing in on him cautiously.

 

“Just let me touch him. Just one last time. If you really won’t accept any of my offers… just let me say goodbye. Please… I beg you, show me mercy.”

 

The man gestured a hand towards Tao and ordered the henchmen to give them space. Kris bowed his head thankfully and walked up to Tao, holding his hand on his waist.

 

Tao was whimpering and crying, gazing at Kris with eyes full of sadness.

 

“Shh, it’s going to be alright, I promise.” Kris pressed a gentle kiss against his lover’s lips and pulled him closer; creating a distraction as he carefully and slowly pulled a pocket knife from his jacket. Before anyone had time to notice, he quickly slashed the ropes and freed Tao, pulling away and grabbing his hand in an attempt to escape.

 

The men yelled at his trick, speedily blocking all exits. Tao clung to Kris’s arm as the men started to surround them more.

 

Two men roughly pulled Tao back into their grasp and as Kris tried to take him back, he was pushed further away, unable to get to him.

 

A brawl started in the alleyway which left Kris bloody and beaten, Tao screaming before silence filled the alley.

 


Author's Note: Just incase you didn't know, that part at the end is the prologue uwu so I didn't think I needed to describe it again- heh. Please comment to let me know what you think! I love to hear what you guys have to say o/ Thanks~