Chapter 2 - A Rude Awakening

The Turning of the Poker Tables

The Turning of the Poker Tables

Chapter 2 – A Rude Awakening

 

Author’s note: I apologise for not updating, I’ve been meaning to. But I promise I will update more often now o/ Please read, enjoy and comment! Thank you <3


 

The door was being unlocked by someone. Tao stood from the bed, his eyes barely open as he rubbed them sleepily like a child. This was the moment. He looked to the clock – 2:36am. It wasn’t as late as he’d expected but nonetheless, he knew Kris was returning.

 

Tao gently padded his way to the living room, cautiously surveying his way through the darkness and gulping in fear of what he’d see.

 

With a sharp gust of wind which followed, the door swung open and in trudged Kris, stumbling around the floor with a hunched back, shaking his head occasionally to get the drink to wear off. Tao’s breath caught in his throat. He’d never imagined seeing Kris like this; drunk was an understatement of the man he saw before him.

 

 The younger’s eyes were burning from tears which built as he let out a soft whimper, “K-Kris?...”

 

Kris wiped his mouth with the back of his hand, gazing up to look at Tao as he slurred almost aggressively, “I told you… not to wait up.”

 

The tone was one Tao had never heard before. It was scary, strange, disgusted.

 

“Sleep on the couch, I don’t want you next to me ever again,” Tao choked up, running back to the bedroom and slamming the door shut behind him.

 

As he was left alone, the swaying elder rubbed his eyes a final time before the intoxication won and he fell to the ground unconscious.

 

---

 

Morning broke and Tao slowly opened his eyes. He sat up and looked next to him, seeing an empty space which had only been filled by the toy he’d received but not the man who’d given it. His heart sank as he remembered catching Kris last night, the smell of alcohol still present in his mind.

 

Rising from the bed, he nervously wandered to the living room where he’d left his Gege, a gasp escaping at what he saw.

 

Kris was laying in his own filth, presumably having slept there all night. No matter how mad he was, he had to do something, he still loved him. Running to the kitchen, Tao filled a jug of water before running back, throwing it over Kris which woke him up with a start.

 

“Tao! What did you do that for!?” Kris yelled, his clothes soaking as he shivered and rubbed his hair. A wince was soon present on his face as he held his head, the hangover taking control.

 

Tao stood silently, gazing over Kris as he bit his lip. “I’m sorry…” he sniffled and paced the living room slowly, unaware what to do or how to feel.

 

Kris sighed, “No, I’m the one who should be sorry… I’ve ruined everything. I never told you where I went or what I did at night. I guess I don’t need to tell you anymore – you already know. Tao… I promise I’ll stop. I feel like an idiot, you shouldn’t trust me, shouldn’t love me. But if you give me one last chance, I promise you I’ll never do this again, I’ll never drink, never leave your sight.”

 

Tao stared at him, his jaw agape as he thought about what Kris had said. His voice had a truth in it, a tone that was begging, pleading, forgivable. He sounded genuine down to every word.

 

Pondering for a moment, Tao leaned down and took a deep breath inwards. The smell was pungent, the strength and taste of beer filling his nose.

 

“Have a shower and maybe I’ll forgive you. I hate the smell of alcohol.” Tao stood and placed the jug on the table before walking back to his room. His head was in his hands as he sat back on the bed.

 

Am I really forgiving him? What if he does it again? How do you know he’s being sincere?

 

“I love him,” he spoke to himself, having a conversation with his own thoughts, “I trust him and I know when he promises something, he will never break that promise.” He nodded, smiling proudly at the conclusion he’d come to. “Wu Yifan, I trust you.”

 

---

 

*The Next Week*

 

Kris snuck up behind Tao and wrapped his hands around his waist, causing the younger to jump.

 

“Yah! Don’t scare me like that!” Tao pouted.

 

Kris chuckled and kissed his cheek. “I’m sorry.”

 

Kris had completely changed, becoming a sensible man who took care of his Tao. He knew he was lucky and he’d become someone different, willing to give everything for the one he loved.

 

“I’m going to go out and get some shopping, okay? I won’t be long.” Kris removed his arms from around Tao and walked out of the house, carrying his wallet and keys.

 

After a while of walking, he’d made it to the town and was heading towards the food shop.

 

Suddenly, he was pushed back and dragged into the nearby alleyway. He tried to lash out at whoever was grabbing onto him but was soon knocked out by a blow to the head. His head was pounding and soon his eyes closed.

 

---

 

As Kris woke up, he was surrounded by men. He let his eyes adjust to the bright lights around him before gasping as he spotted the men he’d played poker with sitting across from him. Kris looked around frantically, confused as to where he was.

 

“How long have I been here? Where is this place? Who are you!?”

 

“Settle down Yifan.” A cold voice spoke from behind him, sending shudders down his spine. As he gazed around, he noticed he was in a small room, a lamp hanging above where he sat, noticing a table in front of him and the men he’d remembered sitting on the other side of the table. He tried to move his hands but couldn’t, tugging them only to realise they were tied.

 

Kris relaxed and tried to act cool even though his heart was beating faster than ever, “What do you want from me?”

 

The man who’d invited him to play the night before leaned in closer and spoke in the same gruff voice, “You lost the bet. That means you owe us something.”

 

Kris furrowed his brows, unable to remember what he’d bet due to the amount of beers he’d drunk. He eventually gave in and sighed, looking down at the floor.

 

“I don’t remember what I bet…”

 

“Oh, you don’t? Well, let me remind you.” The man smirked. Shortly it turned to a malicious grin as he whispered menacingly, “You owe us the one you call Tao.”