Prologue

The Turning of the Poker Tables

 

The Turning of the Poker Tables
Prologue
 
 
"Gege!" Tao cried, kicking and screaming as the two men dragged him away. Kris stared at the scene happening before him, his heart breaking as he watched his special panda get pulled away. He couldn't believe he'd let this happen - he'd gone too far. "Kris! Gege, please!" Tao screamed, tears streaming down his face as he tried to break free from the men's grasps. 

 
Kris was speechless, unable to move to save him. Tao couldn't comprehend the situation, he didn't understand what was happening and why Kris wasn't stopping it.
 
 
Tao screamed, pulling himself away with all his strength, running to Kris and hugging him tightly as if he'd never let go. Kris looked at the younger, neither holding him nor pushing him away. He just stood there, still in complete shock.
 
 
"Kris, I love you. Please, don't let them take me! You said you'd always protect me, Kris. You promised..." Tao gazed up, his eyes bloodshot and his heart pounding at an incredible speed. The elder felt a sharp tug at his heart when he looked at Tao like that, it was unbearable and only now did he realise, whatever the consequences, he had to protect him. Kris held him in his arms tightly, a tear falling down his own soft cheek. Tao leaned up and kissed him but it was only a small peck before he was pulled out of Kris's grasp.
 
 
"Zitao!" He shouted, trying to get to him but constantly being pushed back. 
 
 
Tao was shoved harshly to the floor, yelping as he landed. His face was alive with fear as his hands were shaking, his lips trembling as the man in front of him paced ever closer. Shuffling backwards, Tao gasped when the man pulled out a knife, pinning him to the floor. 

 
"Gege!" Tao screamed in fear as the cold metal was pushed against his throat, choking him.
 
 
Kris fought against the other man with all his strength, knocking him out with a swift blow to the jaw and running to save Tao from harm. But it was too late. The man had slipped the knife into his flesh, creating loud screams of pain as Tao's body started to shake and shudder, turning completely weak within a few moments. 

 
Kris pulled the man off him, pinning him against the wall, snapping angrily, "You said you wouldn't hurt him!" He knocked him out with one punch of pure fury, panting as he looked back to Tao.

 
The younger was still on the floor, choking wildly on his own blood, struggling to breathe. Kris sat beside him, gazing worriedly, unsure what to do. He gripped his hair, watching Tao shudder in pain and wanting to make it stop.
 
 
Suddenly, Kris fell to the ground, receiving a blow to the head by an unknown attacker. The world around him became a blur as all he could see were fuzzy figures. He reached his hand out weakly, still trying to get to Tao no matter what. Yet even his need to save him couldn't stop the darkness approaching across his vision. The last thing he saw was a masked man picking up Tao's weak body by his collar, a final scream of pain being heard before the world became dark and his eyes closed.