The End?

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
Chapter 5 The End?

 

In a time when everything is freezing

Something called spring, is waiting

Yet the fear keeps lingering

For after melting, there may be nothing

 

Another month had passed. It was all but a blur for Ryosuke. The snow had continuously fallen, leaving the ground in the cold blankets. The pond in Outer Palace where he usually went for strolling was freezing. There was no flower blooming in the garden while the trees were seemingly hibernating and no cicadas for breaking the tranquility. He saw everything was in white and wondering if the color of this place would ever resurface when the spring came. It was as if his life reflected in the sight he was seeing. Dare he hope for a living in the spring?

The feeling creeping up in his heart was a mix of anger and guilty. He was angry at the predicament he was currently in, at his father sudden attention after the ignorance he received all his life, at his brother’s unyielding request, and at his own incapability of denying it. And the guilty? It was all about the young lady of Shida house, Mirai. He could not fulfill his promise: to make a way out.

“I’m here.”

The sudden appearance of Yuri caught him a little off guard. It was indeed unusual for he had used to his shadow’s behavior. It was only because he was not expecting a disturbance and Yuri could read his mood so well that he never approached him when he was in this kind of mood. But today, Yuri did.

When he did not answered immediately, Yuri added, “I apologized for interrupting, but I need to inform you that Yuto had returned.”

The news earned his attention. “Really?” His mood rose significantly.

Yuri nodded. “I think he will come to see you soon.”

He exhaled a breath, “I’m glad that he is alright. Thank you, Chi.”

“Then, excuse me.”

“Wait!” He called. “I’ve got something for you, just wait!” He sprinted to his chamber, looking for the gift. He was panting when returned to Yuri.

“You could just tell me to take it for you,” Yuri commented.

He gave him a smile, the first genuine smile he had that day, “Nah, never mind. Here.”

He handed a beautifully crafted small box which Yuri received with a questioning look.

“It’s herbs. That’s good to help you fully recover.”

“Thank you, Ryosuke… for everything.”

And the meeting ended by them exchanging smiles.

True be told, not long after Yuri retreating, Yuto came. He did not know how exactly his feeling when he saw Yuto. Indeed he was glad and relief, but it followed by a dreadful feeling that the reality he had avoided for sometime was drawing closer.

“Your Highness,” Yuto bowed, more polite than usual.

“I’m glad that you’re alright, Yuto-kun, but what is with your attitude just now?” He did not mask his annoyance. When he saw Yuto, he had hoped to see his old friendly smile or silly teasing, not the over polite and serious Captain Nakajima.

Yuto suddenly kneeled in front of him, “I deserve punishment, Your Highness. I have failed you.”

So that’s all about, he thought. “If you do not rise right away then I’m really going to punish you.”

His threat did not move Yuto, even seemingly made him firmer in holding himself down.

He sighed in defeat. He was tired of every attention and act he received lately from people, because it was always reminded him of his duty as a prince. It was not that he resented his life, but he just needed some times to be normal. Could he have something normal, like to be seen as only Ryosuke, not as the prince of Hakumei?

Yuto looked up because he went silent suddenly.

“Your Highness?”

He did look into Yuto’s eyes, and firmly stated, “Fine if you ask. Your punishment is…”

He saw Yuto held his breath.

“You are not allowed to call me with that reverence or behave in front of me like what you did just now when we’re alone. Is it clear?”

Yuto was flabbergasted. “Bu-but…”

“Captain Nakajima!” He warned. “You have received the punishment you asked for, so now carry it out.”

Yuto straightened his back and saluted, “Yes, Sir!”

He saw Yuto rose hesitantly. “I’m sorry… Ryosuke.”

“Where were you?”

Yuto told what happened to him since leaving the Outer Palace and his capture until he was finally released.

“Father informed me that… you had agreed with the marriage.” Yuto said.

“Yes, I did.”

“Why?”

“Why not?” He fielded.

“I am just confused because you strongly opposed the plan before, but why suddenly…”

“You’re not completely informed then,” He cut Yuto, his eyes glinted with sadness.

He knew he conveyed the sadness because Yuto kept his silence, waiting until he spoke.

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter