The False Serenity

Dream and Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Accompanied song: Star Time (balad version by Hey! Say! JUMP)

 

Chapter 21 The False Serenity

 

In the mid of second month of summer the sun shone brightly in Hakumei. The sky was clear and the weather was warm though a bit windy. People passing by the capital street like a stream flowed. Among the crowd of the city, Shida manor graced with a familiar banter.

“Niichan, please,” a sweet voice pleaded.

“No. I am busy.”

“You don’t have time for your lovely, cute and beautiful little sister?”

Hikaru laughed. “I only have a boyish and cheerful little sister. So, who are you dear beautiful little lady?”

Mirai pouted, “Niichan…”

Hikaru laughed harder and ruffled Mirai’s hair with his hand. “Sorry, Mi-chan. I really can’t today. I have appointment with Ami.”

Now, the pout on Mirai’s face changed into playful grin, her eyes twinkled, “Eh? You will go out with Ami-neechan?”

Hikaru mirrored the smile, “Yes. Happy?”

Mirai nodded enthusiastically, “Send my greeting to her then. But you have time tomorrow, right?”

This time Hikaru pretended to be in a deep thinking mode, “Tomorrow? Hmm, I think my schedule is tight.”

“Niichan, please…”

Giving her a big smile, Hikaru replied, “Alright, alright. Tomorrow evening?”

“Okay!”

Lady Akemi watched the exchange between her children from a far, smiling. It had been two weeks since Mirai arrived. Realizing this, she frowned. Two weeks was too long for a visit. Did something happen in the palace?

She recalled the day when Mirai arrived. Mirai looked so tired and though she applied the concealer, she could not hide the swollen of her eyes. Mirai had smiled before running into her embrace. Yet, after she pulled away and saw her daughter from close, she caught a flicker of sorrow in Mirai’s eyes.

Mirai always acted like her usual cheerful self. But in some moments, she found Mirai in trance. Just like the night when she found her in the garden a time after dinner.

“What are you doing, dear?” She approached her daughter smiling.

Mirai returned the smile, “Mother. I’m just star-gazing.”

“Eh? It’s unusual of you.”

Mirai’s eyes returned to look at the night sky. “I’m just wondering.” Her voice somehow sounded distant.

“I know someone who really likes to stare at the night sky. I’m wondering what could be so interesting.”

And it was just a glimpse, but she caught Mirai’s eyes shone with longing.

She had ever asked Mirai about her visit, because as happy as she was meeting her daughter, it was unusual for a wife of a royalty to stay outside the palace this long without her husband. Everyone would assume that something bad happened between the couple. Yet, Mirai dismissed the assumption and asked her to rest easy. Mirai also indicated the fact that Prince Ryosuke himself giving her a ride to Shida manor as a sign that they were just fine.

“Mother!” A cheerful calling from her daughter reached her ears.

She turned to the direction of the voice. Upon seeing Mirai scurried closer to her place, she decided to put her suspicion aside. She would ask Miru once the maid returned from her errand outside the city.

***********

It was early evening in the Outer Palace. Ryosuke was in his chamber, examining the draft he had been working on for sometimes. He would make a final thorough revision on it before proposing the bill to the council. The past two weeks was tough for him as he had to carry out his duties as council member as well as finishing the draft of his own.

When rummaging through the pile of paper on his desk, he stumbled upon an unfamiliar pack. It was wrapped in the color of sky-blue. He frowned. It seemed he did not notice it before as he spent too much time in his office in the Governmental Building in the last two month. Wondering about who might put it on his desk, he unwrapped the pack.

The pack contained a set of calligraphy kit. Seeing the mark on its surface, he knew it was made in Seisan, the first city he visited in his debut campaign months ago. He picked the card inside the box. Recognizing the name of the sender, the pain of guilt he had dismissed returned.

My lord, Prince Yamada Ryosuke

Congratulation for your coming-of-age! I’m sorry for being so late. Captain Nakajima told me you like to write calligraphy. I hope you like it. Oh, and may you be blessed with health and glory.

“Shida Mirai,” he muttered the name.

He recalled the memory of that certain day where he found Mirai in his chamber. Then the memory he tried so hard to forget followed to resurface: the confession from Mirai. And last, his mind replayed the scene from the day Mirai departed to Shida Manor.

After telling her about his decision to break up the marriage, he suggested that they should play as couple until he succeeded in dealing with the council about the bill to annul their marriage. Thus he would send her to Shida manor himself. Despite her tears, she nodded in understanding.

The morning after, she bravely faced him, no more tears in her eyes. And that moment he had to admit that he respected her poise.

“Before I depart, I want to thank you,” she bowed her head. “Thank you for taking care of me all this time, and forgive me for all the trouble I caused.”

Before he could form a proper answer, she had entered the carriage.

Sending Mirai back to Shida manor right after the rejection he gave was cruel even for his standard. Yet, it was the best for both of them. No more interaction, no more pain from seeing the love she would never have.

He initially planned to break up the marriage when Keito rose to the throne in the next spring, yet as the circumstance had become out of his control, he thought it was better to put an end to it sooner. That was why he had to work extra hard to finish the draft for the past two weeks.

When he was free from the marriage, he could refocus on his duties, to fulfill his promise: supporting his father and his brother, without bothered by this unnecessary pain and guilt…. And Mirai would have her freedom back.

**********

Mirai retreated to her chamber, the old one, after the dinner. As Miru had been sent by her mother to do some errand since last week, and she was not familiar with the maid replacing Miru, Mirai was always alone in the night.

She took the sword hanging on the wall, running her fingers over the sheath. Her brother had promised to teach her swordsmanship tomorrow.

It had been quite long she did not touch the sword nor practice it. Since the day of her wedding, she always escorted by royal guards that she never thought to bring it with her. Yet, after the awful encounter with Ryunosuke, she found a strong reason to reacquire her skill in swordsmanship as well as martial art. It was because of her negligence that she became too weak to fight back.

Moreover…..

She inhaled a breath to prevent tears formed.

Moreover, in the near time, she would not have the luxury of being protected by the second prince’s guarding squad. That was why she could only depend on herself, on her own strength, from now on. Just like the resolution she made on her wedding day.

To think of it, it was funny how she was desperately trying to escape the marriage, yet now when she would finally be free, she could not feel relief even just a bit.

The failure of her love…

It was just like another dream she owned crumpled before the mighty fate. It was just like when she heard the news of her marriage long time ago; she would breakdown but eventually she would cope with it. It was hurt, so much, but she would get use to it.

And when the marriage ended…

She would be alright by herself. She would have her family. She would have her freedom. So, it would be just like her old life back. Right?

Mirai clenched her fist near her heart, squeezing in pain.

But why it felt like her heart cracking more and more every time the thought that there would be no Ryosuke in her future resurfaced?

“My lady,” a voice cut her thought off.

She took a deep breath before answering, “Yes?”

“Young master Hikaru asked you to come to his chamber.”

Eh? Niichan has already back?

“Yes. I’ll be there soon.”

Wondering, Mirai walked to his brother chamber. When she arrived, her brother was busy preparing to leave. He had done his royal council uniform, too.

“Niichan, where are you going?”

Hearing her voice, Hikaru turned around. His face contorted with anxiety.

“Mi-chan,” he strode to her. “I’m sorry. I may not be able to train you tomorrow.”

The rush in her brother voice made her worry. “Alright, but why are you in a hurry?”

“I have to return to the palace. All the council members called for a sudden meeting tonight.”

 “Is something happened?”

“I don’t know yet, but I get the feeling that it’s very serious,” Hikaru paused for a time.

“And I’m afraid that it is not a good thing.” He added

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter