Travel, Laughter and a Heart Beat

Affairs of the Heart

 

Travel, Laughter and a Heart Beat

 

The drive into the Byun’s beach house was longer than Chanyeol remembered. It was also quite beautiful. It reminded him of his childhood, how Luhan, Baekhyun and him would open the windows of their car feeling the fresh summer breeze slapping their faces while their dad would drive joining in their laughter and their mom would take photos of them.

 

Their ears were serenaded by a seven-year-old Baekhyun who would continue to giggle throughout the trip and will laugh his heart out from Chanyeol’s jokes and made up stories. Chanyeol would feel satisfied as the melodious laughter’s source was him.

 

But today everything was different and anger was building up in his chest. Baekhyun was smiling brightly, laughing so hardly but not because of him.

 

 

***

 

It was Friday when Baekhyun’s voice filled the Byun mansion. He came home smiling, jumping and almost tripping on their front porch.  He practically squealed in joy when he entered their living room, his school bag was thrown somewhere in the corner while his books were scattered everywhere but none of it matters for the youngest Byun.

 

“Hyung!”

 

Baekhyun screamed in delight. Chanyeol was sitting on the couch watching some drama he needed for his television literary review. Luhan, on the other hand, just came home and was preparing dinner when both older Byuns heard their youngest brother’s voice.

 

“Look! We got an A+ for our final project!”

 

Baekhyun said happily as he raised his paper showing the big red mark on the top right of the page.  

 

          So I guess, you shoving your tongue on your friend’s mouth was worth it?” Luhan questioned.

 

          “Actually, hyung…”

 

“Wow Baek, you boys really did a good job in writing this.” Chanyeol laughed nervously. He would not want Luhan knowing how he tricked Baekhyun into kissing him because his older brother might be an angel disguised as human only with a loud and bad mouth and Luhan was also bright and would easily thought of reasons why Chanyeol did that and he would not risk anything.  So he intended to shift the topic.

 

“You could just enter the same college as mine.”

 

Baekhyun giggled, “That’s what I want so I’m really working hard.”

 

“Why wouldn’t you want to get into mine?” Luhan ruffled Baekhyun’s hair.

 

“Because it’s boring hyung.” It was Chanyeol’s turn to tease.

 

The three Byuns continued to their usual teasing and fooling around.

 

During their dinner that Luhan had prepared, the eldest Byun interrogated Baekhyun.

 

“But Baekhyun, I still haven’t properly talked to you about your actions.”

 

Luhan was 6 years older than Baekhyun and had developed a sense of protectiveness over his brothers. Being the eldest, he was stricter but at the same time, more playful. Sometimes Baekhyun thinks Chanyeol should be the eldest.

 

“You shouldn’t just shoved your tongue on that boy’s mouth. What’s name again?.”

 

          “I told you hyung, it was just for the project. And he’s name is Sehun”

 

          “But what if Sehun likes you and soon takes advantage of you?”

 

          Chanyeol choked on his food furiously and frantically reaching over his glass of water. It never occurred to Chanyeol that somehow Sehun might like his brother and the thought was nerve wrecking.

 

          “Oh, please hyung. Sehun’s my best friend. If he likes me, I would not have befriended him.” Baekhyun with full confidence explained.

 

          “If you say so. But I’m serious Baekhyun. Those things aren’t normal - you kissing another guy. Be discreet, you’re just a first year high school student Baek.”

 

          “I’m sorry hyung, it won’t happen again.” Baekhyun said truthfully.

 

          “Good, and I’m sorry if I nag a lot but I just don’t want you choosing a wrong path. I love you too much.”

 

          “I love you too hyung and Chanyeol hyung too.”

 

          In some way, Chanyeol believed him but there was always a fleeting thought that Baekhyun should love him more than a brother.

 

          Luhan, as a reward for Baekhyun’s achievement suggested they would spend their weekend at their beach house. Luhan and Chanyeol, being college students were busy with their studies and rarely home so Luhan wanted some brotherly bonding just like when they were kids. Baekhyun cheered in glee. Baekhyun jumped excitedly and gave his brothers a hug.

 

“Thank you! You guys are the best!” And with that, Baekhyun hurriedly went upstairs to prepare and packed his things for their beach trip. Little did they know that another guest would be coming along with them.

 

 

***

 

It was Saturday morning, Baekhyun wasn’t the one who would wake up early on a weekend but this was different as he basically sneaked on to Luhan’s room to make sure Luhan was up and they’ll be going in a while. It went well with Luhan, but, Chanyeol, his other brother was the challenge.

 

 Baekhyun knocked furiously on Chanyeol’s bedroom door. Pouting because of his failed plan, Baekhyun borrowed from their maid the spare key for Chanyeol’s room. Once he was in, he walked towards the sleeping giant and hopped on his bed. Baekhyun was supposed to push and pull his brother but instead of doing so, his eyes marveled on how Chanyeol looked so handsome and his hands suddenly traced Chanyeol’s sleeping face.

 

A minute had passed when strong hands reached for Baekhyun and pulled him into bed, soon, the youngest Byun was lying beside Chanyeol while the older’s hands were wrapped around him tightly.

 

“Five more minutes.” Chanyeol whispered against his ear. “Just five more minutes.”

 

Baekhyun could not move from his spot and just opted to stay quiet and wait for the 5 minutes to last.

 

But Chanyeol doesn’t want his five minutes to end.

 

Chanyeol was busy helping Luhan loading the things into their car when he heard some giggling. He thought that Baekhyun was on the phone talking to someone so he ignored. But when he heard an unfamiliar voice laughing along with Baekhyun’s sweet ones, he checked him out.

 

He saw his brother with someone, not just talking but hugging Sehun. In reality, Baekhyun was just trying to reach his phone from his best friend. Chanyeol eyes’ widened and he faked a cough. Baekhyun upon noticing his brother pulled back and greeted him, grinning.

 

“Chanyeollie-hyung! Remember Sehun?” Baekhyun beamed as he pointed his best friend. Sehun bowed his head in respect not noticing the cold stare Chanyeol was giving him.

 

How could I even forget? Chanyeol thought.

 

“Yeah, of course. Why is he here anyway?” Chanyeol asked slightly annoyed. The fact that Baekhyun didn’t even bother telling him that this Sehun guy is going with them made him even more pissed, not because Baekhyun was hugging Sehun awhile ago. And Chanyeol kept making himself believe that.

 

“I invited Sehun. I’d thought that we can all have some fun and we’re a team on the project, I thought of sharing my reward and so I called him.” Baekhyun proudly while patting Sehun’s back

 

Thankfully, Luhan broke the slight tension when he ordered the boys to hurry and proceed to the car. The young ones scurried to the backseat while Luhan sat on passenger seat in front. Chanyeol, the designated driver after quite some time, took his spot.

 

“Oh Sehun!” Luhan greeted. Sehun smiled and waved back at him. “I didn’t know you were coming with us.” He added.

 

“Baekhyun called me last night and invited me to come with you guys since you’re all spending the weekend at the beach.” Sehun replied. Chanyeol was still glaring at him from the rearview mirror.

 

“I think we should go now. I’m so excited!” Baekhyun said still sensing Chanyeol’s annoyance towards his best friend.

 

 

***

 

 

Chanyeol sighed and focused on his driving while the constant laughter from a too happy Baekhyun filled the car, only this time, it wasn’t Chanyeol who was making his brother laugh.

 

It was Oh Sehun.

 

If it wasn’t for the constant giggling and laughter at the back seat, Chanyeol wouldn’t have turned the radio on just to ignore the two. He was still pissed. Luhan on the other hand, thought that it was cute seeing the two young boys teasing each other. Because everything that makes his brother happy, makes him even blissful.

 

 

***

 

 

At the resort, Chanyeol told Luhan that he’s sharing a room with Baekhyun while Sehun should stay with him, telling excuses that after what he saw just a few weeks ago doesn’t make him comfortable for Baekhyun and Sehun sharing a room. Luhan thought for a while but agreed anyways because Chanyeol has a point.

 

Chanyeol had full eyes on his brother. He didn’t want Baekhyun sharing a room with Sehun. And worst is that he didn’t want to see his brother kissing his best friend the second time around as if it was a normal thing to do. Luhan didn’t ask further questions regarding their room arrangements.

 

“Baekhyun! Sehun!” Luhan called. The two immediately ran up to him as they carried their bags. “Sehun, you’re rooming with me.” Luhan said smiling as he gave him their spare key. He then turned to his brother. “And as for you, go help Chanyeol with unpacking.” Baekhyun nodded and search for the room along the hallway.

 

 

He nonchalantly opened the door room and placed his bag, shoes at the side when he came in. He then found his brother sleeping at the middle of the bed peacefully. Apparently, the room Chanyeol chose was the master’s bedroom. Baekhyun thought of fixing his things first though he was excited to head straight to the beach. After unpacking, he went out and searched for Sehun.

 

 

 

 

***

 

 

Luhan toured Sehun around the mansion while he subtly interrogated the kid.  

 

“So, how long have you been best of friends with Baek?”

 

“Just the start of school. I wasn’t from Seoul and I just transferred here right after junior high.” There was a sadness in Sehun’s voice Luhan didn’t missed.

 

Luhan nodded, “Where are your parents? Did they allow you to go with us?”

 

There was a minute of silence. Sehun didn’t respond immediately, “I don’t have any,” He said nervously clutching on his bag’s strap.

 

          Oh.

 

          “Sorry for making you uncomfortable hyung. They’re still alive but I was taken away from them a few years ago because they beat me up every day. But I’m all good now.” Sehun forced a laugh. “I’m used to telling this story. Don’t feel bad hyung.”

 

          Sehun entered the room leaving Luhan out of breath.

 

“Mind if I take the bed on the right?” Luhan asked trying to be as friendly as possible and trying to ease the tension. He could sense that the young boy is feeling quite tense. Sehun looked at him and found his self relaxed when he heard the older’s voice.

 

“Yeah sure hyung, I’ll just take the one on the left then.” Sehun replied, softly smiling. And Luhan marveled at how handsome the boy. And how can this kid possibly survive the beating but Luhan dismissed the thought, he would not want to ruin Baekhyun and Sehun’s weekend.

 

          “I think I will enjoy this weekend hyung, thank you.”

 

          Sehun’s smile was blinding.

 

Sehun was about to unpack when he heard his phone ringing. Ugly Byun Baek calling.

 

“What? Lobby? Yeah okay. I’ll be there in 5.” Sehun answered.

 

“I supposed that’s Baekhyun?” Luhan asked sitting on his bed.

 

“Yeah. We’re gonna go around the beach and might swim afterwards. Wanna come hyung?” Sehun was changing his shirt while Luhan was just staring at his well-built body. Luhan gulped and his mind wondered how a sixteen-year-old could have this toned body.

 

“Hyung?”

 

Luhan snapped out of his thought when Sehun turned to look at him.

 

“Oh you boys go ahead. I’m just gonna rest for a while.” Sehun nodded and left Luhan after saying goodbye.

 

 

***

 

Baekhyun and Sehun met at the lobby and started their weekend getaway. They went to the diner hall, game center, and checked out the living room equipped with a big screen.

 

Sehun marveled at how grand the Byun’s family beach house was but even before Sehun could admire it even more, Baekhyun was pulling him out of the house and straight to the beach.

 

 

***

 

 

When Chanyeol woke up, he began to search for Baekhyun when he saw his brother’s things arranged in their room. Knowing full well that Baekhyun didn’t bother to wake him up, he thought that the latter would be at the beach by now. And so he went out and headed out at the beach.

 

Chanyeol was walking towards the beach area when he saw someone, or rather two people, who caught his attention.

 

Baekhyun and Sehun.

 

Sehun was holding Baekhyun by the waist while he’s swinging him around as he threw him on the water. Chanyeol could hear their laughter and his displeasure started to build up again seeing how his brother was having fun with Sehun. He went back and wondered where Luhan went. He thought that maybe his brother was still sleeping but nonetheless, he decided to visit Luhan.

 

When he arrived at Luhan’s room, he saw him playing a game on his phone feeling quite bored. “Hyung, why are you still here? Don’t you wanna go outside?” Chanyeol asked and sat on the other bed facing Luhan.

 

 “Not in the mood actually.” Luhan replied still focused on the game he was playing. Luhan’s mind was still bothered at the thought that a young boy doesn’t have a family. Thought after thought, Luhan could not focus on anything.

 

 

Where does Sehun stay?

 

Does Sehun eat regularly?

 

Is he having enough money for school?

 

Who is taking care of him?

 

 

Luhan sighed for the nth time.

 

 

Then a sudden unwanted feeling hit Chanyeol. He didn’t understand but whenever he’s feeling something like this, it ends up being bad.

 

“Something’s wrong.” Chanyeol stood up feeling uneasy. Baekhyun.

 

Luhan feeling a bit uneasy with his brother’s action instinctively followed him.

 

 

***

 

Chanyeol ran as fast as he could towards the beach, Luhan trailing behind him. It wasn’t the nicest way to welcome him and it left his heart hurting when he saw Sehun’s lips touching Baekhyun’s - Sehun feeling his brother’s soft lips. But it was different, everything was different. Luhan screamed, and everything felt wrong.

 

 

 

Baekhyun was lying on the sand unconscious.

 

 

 

***

 

 

“Baekhyun!” Luhan’s voice was hoarse as fear was engulfing him. Chanyeol could not move from his spot and just stared. Baekhyun was unconscious.

 

          Sehun quickly stood up, face was pale, and clearly he was more than worried.

 

          “Hyung, I told him not to go far but he insisted.” The boy’s eyes were in so much despair, tears were starting to fall.

 

          Luhan immediately slumped to the ground not really knowing what to do.

 

          “Hyung…” Came a weak voice.

 

“I’m alive.”

 

Baekhyun grinned while giving thumbs up. On that day, for the first time in his entire life, Baekhyun felt a fist hitting his face.

 

 

***

 

 

Sehun was busy placing ice on Baekhyun’s left eye while the latter winced in pain.

 

“It hurts.” Baekhyun whined. “Why did you punch me Luhan hyung?”

 

“Damn it Baekhyun!” Luhan was beyond angry but he reached for his younger brother and pulled him against his chest. “You could have died.”

 

Chanyeol was still left speechless. One second, he felt his world crashing, the other second, he felt he was brought back to life. Life is a rollercoaster ride but loving Byun Baekhyun was ten times more thrilling.

 

“But I didn’t.” Baekhyun giggled as if making fun of his life or death situation awhile ago and Chanyeol felt he should be punching Baekhyun more but he didn’t because Sehun beat him too it.

 

“Yah! Oh Sehun! That hurts.” Baekhyun rubbed his left arm where Sehun decided to slam his fist.

 

“Serves you right Byun Baek. You don’t answer like that to your hyungs.” Sehun scolded his best friend then pouted.

 

Baekhyun asked for Luhan’s help but the elder just laughed while seeing the half dejected, half in pain face of his youngest brother.

 

Chanyeol witnessed the whole scene, Luhan laughing while Sehun and Baekhyun continue to bicker, he thought for a while, that Sehun wasn’t so bad after all and somehow fit for Baekhyun. He can make Baek laugh and he was the one who saved Baekhyun, Chanyeol thought he’ll forever be indebted to the young handsome lad.

 

“Let’s go get some sleep.” Cutting the scene in front of him with his deep voice. Chanyeol didn’t wait for a respond and immediately proceeded to his room making the entire living room noiseless.

 

“I’m in trouble, right?” Baekhyun asked worriedly and Luhan laughed, mocking his youngest brother.

 

“Uh-huh.”

 

“Luhan hyung, please, exchange rooms with me. I’ll sleep with Sehunnie. I beg you, Lulu hyung.”

 

Luhan just waved his hand dismissing every word that comes out from Baekhyun’s mouth.

 

“Sehun, let’s go. You should take your rest.”

 

Ignoring the cries and pleads of Baekhyun, as if not hearing the whines and promises, Luhan dragged Sehun with him. There was a brief tug of war using Sehun as a rope but quickly ended when the three heard the familiar deep voice.

 

“You should all sleep. I’m going out for awhile.”

 

Baekhyun stayed silent and slowly let go of Sehun’s hand.

 

“You better sleep now Baekhyun.” Sehun tapped his best friend’s back. “I’m sure Chanyeol hyung just got worried.”

 

Sehun and Luhan left Baekhyun on the living room, the brunette not shifting his gaze from the Chanyeol’s back as the latter walked away from the beach house. Soon, when Baekhyun could no longer see Chanyeol’s figure, he gradually dragged his feet towards their shared room and tried his best to sleep.

 

 

          Chanyeol went back a little over midnight. He expected everyone to be asleep. He purposely did because he didn’t want to deal with Baekhyun just yet, the thought of him dying, the thought of him leaving Chanyeol permanently. Chanyeol needed time to compose himself alone.

 

          Opening the front door was not much of a task but approaching their shared room was a different thing.

 

          Chanyeol needed to take some time, turning the door knob but then releasing it, over and over again. Chanyeol sighed and leaned his forehead into the closed door.

 

          Not a minute had passed, Chanyeol was startled as the door was being opened. He almost fell into Baekhyun if he wasn’t able to hold his balance.

 

          “Hyung.” It was barely audible. “I’m sorry.”

 

          And it was the last straw, as Chanyeol held Baekhyun tightly. The younger’s face was pressed onto Chanyeol’s chest.

 

          “I thought I’d lose you.” Chanyeol was preventing the tears from falling.

 

          “I’m sorry.”

 

          They stayed pressed in each other times for minutes, Chanyeol savoring the presence and the reality that Baekhyun was still with him.

 

          Chanyeol slowly let go and kissed Baekhyun’s forehead. “Sleep now Baek.”

         

          Baekhyun smiled brightly, “Yes, I will. Sehun and I will go shopping.” The small male ran off to their share bed. “I’m going to buy him a lot of stuff even if he refuse.” Baekhyun giggle while he sat down on his side of the bed.

 

          “You’re gonna buy things for him?”

 

          “It’s his birthday on Monday. I’ll give him gifts.”

 

          Chanyeol was about to burst out – angry at the thought that his brother will be paying a lot for Sehun’s. Chanyeol’s mind was processing things. Maybe Sehun was using Baekhyun for money or the advancements he can make. Chanyeol hated the thing and his hate escalated.

 

          But everything went into space and Chanyeol felt guilty all of a sudden.

 

          “Because you know hyung, Sehun only has 2 pairs of jeans and 5 shirts.”  Baekhyun said in the saddest voice Chanyeol ever heard.

 

          “He has no one.”

 

          “I didn’t know.” Chanyeol’s voice cracked.

 

          “Sehun is a tough kid and I admire his strength. He never once asked anyone for help, not even me. He works every night at the mall we own. And then sometimes he takes small other jobs like delivering the news paper because he has to pay for the school fees.”

 

          The Byun brothers live their lives without any restrictions or financial problems. The Byun family is included in the Top 10 most wealthy Korean family and never once were the Byun brothers experienced any trouble. Chanyeol was left staring at Baekhyun as the smaller continued his story.

 

          “Sehun is a scholar and his tuition was covered by the scholarship because he’s a genius but the miscellaneous fees were too high, Sehun needed two jobs to be able to continue studying. At one time, I offered to pay but he got angry and stopped talking for me for days.”

 

          Baekhyun sighed and compose himself before continuing his story.

 

          “I feel guilty, me having all I want. I have a mom and dad, Lu hyung, and you. Sehun doesn’t have any. I did not befriend him because I pity him. We’re friends because he treats me like his brother and amongst all the classmates I have; he’s the only one who genuinely cares for me. I’m friends with him not because I learned he doesn’t have anybody.”

 

          “That kid.” Chanyeol thought of all the bad things his mind processed and he felt guilty all over again.

 

          “Sehun never once asked me for anything. And whenever I tricked him into buying stuffs for him, he will always give back or will pay for them afterwards. He has done so much for me, protecting me to the bullies, helping with school stuffs, being a brother.”

 

          “I love Sehun because he’s my friend, no, he’s not my friend. He’s a brother.”

 

          Chanyeol sat down quietly, words pierced through his heart. Chanyeol had realized how much Baekhyun loved Oh Sehun and how much Sehun loved Baek, how much the boys love each other, but not as lovers, not as friends, but as brothers.

 

 

          Little did Chanyeol and Baekhyun know, a person heard their conversation and as he was left speechless at the back of the door, Luhan’s heart could not handle any heartbreaking experiences Sehun had to endure. He didn’t know that a person could experience too much agony in his lifetime.

 

          Luhan walked slowly into his shared room with Sehun and saw the latter sleeping peacefully, somehow, Luhan thought he should be saving the poor boy, he should be taking care of him.

 

          He wanted to protect Sehun from all the pain.

 

          Luhan thought Sehun was just like Baekhyun, a younger brother that needs protection. But there was something his heart was telling him that Luhan was ignoring.

 

 

 

 

 

***

 

          Chanyeol watched his younger sleep peacefully. The smell of Baekhyun’s hair, it was intoxicating. Chanyeol wished the time would stop and let Baekhyun be in his arms together. He thought of the future – a future with Baekhyun. He would buy a beach house like and adopt kids.

 

That night, Chanyeol knew that he would sleep peacefully as Baekhyun breathes against his chest.

 

          Chanyeol smiled as he held Baekhyun tightly. But before entering the dreamland, he softly but quickly pressed his lips against his sleeping brother.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

“I love you Baekhyun.”