The Newborn

Affairs of the Heart

 

Chapter 1: The Newborn

 

 

Chanyeol was too young to realize what was happening around him. His mother would always put earphones in his ears every night while he listened to happy songs telling him to pay attention and if he finishes the tape, he’ll get a sweet reward. Chanyeol loves chocolate so he patiently waited until the last song ends. He always listens, not aware that outside his bedroom, his mom and dad were screaming on top of their lungs fighting over and over again.

Soon, a three-year-old Chanyeol found himself in an unfamiliar large house. Little Chanyeol could feel his eyes going wide as they travel to every corner of the well-built mansion. Her mother told him that he’ll be meeting his brother but Chanyeol didn’t ever recall having a brothers. He didn’t question his mom either or asked about his father. He was ushered towards a grand room; eyes too wide, while a huge chandelier shining above him almost blinded his eyes. He saw his mom suddenly running towards a handsome man and Chanyeol, with his simple mind, noticed how his mother’s eyes lit up and the way she smiled was more blinding than the hanging chandelier. Chanyeol thought that it was a good thing because he is the happiest whenever he sees his mom happy.

“Chanyeol, honey.” His mom’s sweet voice woke him from his trance.

“I want you to meet Luhan.” Chanyeol saw a small kid hiding from the man who made his mother smile.

“Luhan” The voice came from the man, while the little kid was still clutching on the man’s pants. “Meet your brother.”

Chanyeol heard his mother whispered to him. Go ahead. Greet him. So Chanyeol did.

“Hi, I’m Chanyeol.” With a big grin on his face, he stretched his tiny arms for Luhan to reach.

Peeking over, Luhan saw Chanyeol’s face smiling and soon enough he made his way out of his father’s back and reached for Chanyeol’s hand.

“I--I’m Luhan.”

That day, Chanyeol met his brother. He couldn’t be any happier.

 

 

 

***

He was with his mom, his brother Luhan, and the handsome man. His mom told him after a few days of their stay that it was okay to call the handsome man as dad. Chanyeol didn’t argue nor he asked multiple questions; he just smiled and for the first time in the three years of his life, he found himself smiling while muttering a soft dad. He thought his happiness was overflowing.

 

***

It has been a year and little Chanyeol and little Luhan grew closer together. Luhan would always make sure his younger brother Chanyeol will always feel love; will always feel secure. Luhan. Chanyeol on the other hand would always bring smile to Luhan’s face. Chanyeol thinks that having a brother is the best thing there is.

 

Their relationship as brothers grew healthier just like their bond got stronger.

 

During a family dinner, only Chanyeol, his mom and dad were at dining room. Chanyeol was too sad he refused any food offered to him.

 

“What’s wrong honey?” Chanyeol’s dad worry too much as the four-year-old Chanyeol slumped on his chair.

 

“Luhan hyung isn’t here.” Pouting, Chanyeol bowed his head down afraid his mom and dad would see the tears forming in his eyes.  

 

His mom smiled and slowly wrapped her hands on little Chanyeol, “Honey, Luhan will be here tomorrow, do you want your brother to be sad? He wants you to eat your dinner right?”

 

Chanyeol slowly nodded his head.

 

“I miss Luhan hyung.”

 

“We know, honey...But I know what will make you happy.”

 

Chanyeol instantly looked at his mother, wide eyes full of hope, “Luhan hyung will be home tonight?” It was almost a squeal.

 

“No, honey.”

 

And as fast as Chanyeol smiled, it’s the same when the happiness faltered.

 

“But, honey, do you know why mommy was getting fat?”

 

Chanyeol shook his head still disappointed.

 

“Because in a few months time, you’ll have another brother.”

 

Chanyeol could not understand why his heart was in pain but he was happy. He could not understand the excitement lingering in his body.

 

Chanyeol felt his heart could explode any minute.

 

That night, Chanyeol slept together with his mom and dad, not because he was scared of sleeping alone but because he wanted to sleep together with his brother.

 

 

***

 

Chanyeol woke up from the muffled giggles and soft laughter.

 

"Chanyeol-ah, wake up!" The familiar little voice called him out, and Chanyeol stirred awake.

 

“What is it Luhan hyung?” Chanyeol softly rubbed his eyes.

 

“We’re going to see mom.” Luhan chirped and enveloped Chanyeol in a tight embrace. With that, Chanyeol cracked his eyes open and sat up on his bed blinking a little too fast.

 

“Mom? We’re going to see mom!” Chanyeol squeaked while Luhan giggled. Chanyeol missed his mom so much and remembered how he cried when his mom told him she would be away for a week because she needed to stay at the hospital so the bump on her stomach will go away.

 

The first day his mom left, Chanyeol cried himself to sleep. When morning came, Luhan gave a chocolate to a lonely little Chanyeol telling him that their mom would be fine. Chanyeol loved his brother so much.

 

“Yes, Chanyeol. We’ll visit mom. Let’s take a shower, I’ll scrub your back.”

 

Chanyeol was too happy to object.  And in a flash, Chanyeol was up and ran towards the bathroom. Luhan ran after him.

 

“We have to look good today Chanyeol because we’ll be seeing our little brother.”

 

Chanyeol’s eyes widen and stared at Luhan’s eyes. “B-b-brother?” Chanyeol asked.

 

“Yes! I’m so excited.”

 

Chanyeol was too overjoyed. He felt his heart exploding from too much bliss. The word brother lifted Chanyeol’s mood more brightly. He thought having a brother like Luhan was already perfect and now another angel would be part of their family. He’s going to have a brother again.

 

“Luhan hyung, let’s hurry! I want to see our brother already.” Chanyeol said as he reached for his brother’s hand, jumping on his way.

 

“Alright alright.”

 

“Hyung.” Chanyeol murmured softly while he held Luhan’s soft hands tightly.

 

“Yes, Chanyeol?”  

 

"Will the baby be very small?"
 

"Yes, he is. I bet he will look like me.” Luhan chuckled softly.

 

Chanyeol answered with a smile on his lips. “If he will look like you, he’ll be pretty too.”

 

Luhan giggled. “I’m so excited, I want to see him already.”

 

Soon enough, Luhan saw his dad approaching and with Luhan and Chanyeol’s arms linked together, they both hopped their way to the figure walking towards them.

 

“Dad!” Luhan cried. “Where’s the baby? Where’s the baby?”

 

“He’s still sleeping so as your mom, so let’s wait for a few more minutes until they wake up, okay?”

 

Luhan whined and almost threw a tantrum while a three-year-old Chanyeol looked detested. Their dad softly laughed and patted both boys’ head.

 

“You two will meet Baekhyun soon, okay?” Their father said giving them a warm smile.

 

Luhan and Chanyeol looked at each other, both with wide eyes and a threatening grin and at the same time uttered,

“Baekhyun”

 

After a few minutes of waiting and playing around with Luhan, Chanyeol saw his dad again and his mood was brighter than a thousand fold as his dad gestured It’s time and both boys raced their way down the end of the hall.

 

Chanyeol’s mouth remained open as he stepped inside the room, together with Luhan. He observed the room in the hospital with keen eyes. He felt his heart beating wildly against his chest and his throat gone dry for no apparent reason. His grip on Luhan’s hand tightened.

 

Luhan was squealing in delight and suddenly he let go of his brother’s hand while the former ran towards their mom. He saw Luhan hugging his mom. Luhan quickly shifted his gaze around the room and soon his eyes darted to the small figure beside his mom.

 

 

“Chanyeol.” He heard his mom’s voice. “Did you miss me? Come here.” But Chanyeol didn’t want to hug his mom because he wanted to see the baby instead.

 

Chanyeol heard his mom laugh. “He wants to see the baby.”

 

Chanyeol can feel his face heating up from the embarrassment but all was forgotten when his step dad walked towards him and ushered him towards the bed.

 

 

Chanyeol’s heartbeat raced a thousand times faster as he saw a tiny little boy on the bed sleeping peacefully.

He’s so little. Chanyeol thought and suddenly he feared the baby might get hurt if he touched him.

“He is so cute.” Luhan shouted excitedly when the baby stirred. Luhan quickly covered his mouth and Chanyeol felt a sudden desire of protectiveness over the baby. He angrily muttered a shhhhh as Luhan softly whispered I’m sorry.

The gentle sound of Baekhyun's breathing brought Chanyeol into a state of euphoria. His focus was on the little hands that were curled into a fist and how the baby’s skin looked too soft.

 

His gaze suddenly shifted when he heard Luhan asking their mom. “Can I kiss him?”

 

“Of course.” Their mother smiled seeing her little angels welcoming her newborn.

 

A squeal full of happiness was heard over the room and the baby jolted in his sleep making Luhan muttered multiple I’m sorry’s.

                       

Chanyeol thought so hard and focused intently because he wanted to kiss the baby too and Luhan was the first one to do it. Feeling a little jealous, though the three-year-old Chanyeol didn’t understand but he can already feel it.

 

Can I kiss him too?

 

The room went silent.

 

Chanyeol turned and looked at his mom. He realized he said that aloud. His mom smiled at him.

 

“Of course Chanyeol.”

 

“You can kiss him first Chanyeol.” Luhan said as he offered a genuine smile.

 

He looked at his step dad wanting to ask for permission and Chanyeol got a strong firm of his body helping him to reach the baby with him pushing himself to the small body.

 

“You can kiss little Baekhyun now.” His father said.  

 

He can feel his heart hammering against his chest as he softly places his lips on baby Baekhyun’s soft ones.

 

On that day, Chanyeol and Baekhyun had their first kiss.

 

 

 

The first of many kisses.

 

 

 

 


So yeah, our first chapter. We are planning to update the second chapter later. Thank you for your support guys! We love you.

xoxo,

Nestine and Steph