Chapter 8

Dragon's Fall

Skyler stared down into the glass-filled dustpan that Daesung had tried to hide from her.

 

“He won’t own a drinking glass if he keeps this up,” she commented.

 

Daesung emptied the shards of glass into the dustbin.

 

“What’s he doing now?”

 

“He’s sleeping right now. “

 

“That’s good. He’ll need that rest this afternoon.  Did he shave already?”

 

“Yes he did,” Daesung replied as his face split into a huge grin.

 

“He even put some cologne,” he continued as he pantomimed slapping his cheeks and chin.

 

Though Daesung rarely interacted with Skyler, he enjoyed her company. It had been a rather gloomy period ever since his boss’s accident. He could see that Skyler’s presence was helping his boss even though he knew Jiyong would never admit it. His boss was too proud. How he wished that Skyler would end up as his boss’s wife. He could see the spark between Skyler and him.

 

While Jiyong was napping, Sklyer decided to try out the pool. She put on a swimsuit and went out to the pool. Daesung served her lunch on the terrace. She was dozing in a chaise lounge when Daesung trotted in and tapped her on the arm.

 

“Sky-shi, Dr. Choi is here.”

 

“Oh, I didn’t expect him until later.”

 

She immediately pulled on her cover-up and padded into the house, meeting Seunghyun in the foyer.

 

“Hi Dr. Choi. You’re here early, aren’t you?”

 

“Or did I fall asleep?”

 

“No worries. I’m early. I apologize.”

 

“Right after you called, someone canceled an afternoon appointment, so I decided to take an earlier plane. How is he?”

 

“Meaner than a junkyard dog,” Skyler replied with an abruptness that startled Seunghyun.

 

“Well, TOP-shi, you asked.”

 

Seunghyun merely laughed at Skyler’s remark.

 

“So you finally used my nickname, TOP,” Seunghyun commented in his husky timbre voice.

 

“I just have to ask. How did you even come up with that name? Going around calling yourself TOP.”

 

“I used to be an underground rapper and I won a lot of battles. So the people there gave me the nickname T.O.P or TOP,” Seunghyun replied. He then chuckled when he saw the shocked expression on Skyler’s face.

 

“Hard to believe right? A doctor who raps.”

 

“Well…” Skyler started.

 

“It is just that with your looks, I was expecting you to tell me you used to model, not rap.”

 

“And TOP is a nickname you gain for being the best in it.”

 

“Model? Me? Thanks but I think I prefer to rap.”

 

“I used to be a little chubby. But medical school made me lose all my weight. Stressed.”

 

Skyler laughed at Seunghyun dramatic gesture of putting the back of his right hand over his head.

 

“So do you still rap?”

 

“Occasionally.”

 

“So why didn’t you pursue music then?”

 

“Family,” he replied with heaviness.

 

Skyler nodded her head at his reply before going back to the matter on hand.

 

“Anyway, about Jiyong-shi, I thought you should know about the spasticity.”

 

“It’s definitely a good sign. I’ll examine him now.”

 

Skyler accompanied Seunghyun upstairs and pointed out the room.

 

“I’ll wait if you don’t mind. The last time I was in Jiyong-shi’s room, we were swapping death threats.”

 

Seunghyun laughed, but he was unsure whether or not she was joking. As soon as the door to Jiyong’s bedroom closed behind him, Skyler went to her suite and showered. She was dressed and waiting with a pitcher of chilled pineapple juice when he came back downstairs.

 

“He has made astounding progess,” Seunghyun commented enthusiastically, accepting the glass of juice with a nod of thanks.

 

“He was working out on the pulley when I went in.”

 

“This afternoon I plan to get him on the tilt table. From there we’ll go to a chair.”

 

“The sooner he’s mobile, the better his attitude is going to get.”

 

“But Skyler-shi, despite the improvements, I noticed that he’s still confrontational.”

 

“That’s an understatement. You might as well know that I’ve asked to be replaced.”

 

“Oh?”

 

“I’m not the right therapist for him. Our personalities are on a collision course. They keep getting in the way.”

 

“Sometimes that’s exactly the kind of spark the patient needs. Antagonism can act as a stimulant.”

 

“It prompted them to try harder.”

 

“Yes, well, that’s all fine and good, but I refuse to be Mr. Kwon Jiyong’s personal punching bag.”

 

“You’ve been a punching bag for other patients. That goes with the nature of your profession. You knew before you accepted this job that he was likely to be obnoxious.”

 

“Well, he’s certainly living up to my expectations. I can’t get anywhere with him,” Skyler retorted.

 

“Actually on the contrary. From what I’ve seen, you’ve been the tonic he needed,” Seunghyun commented, thoughtfully rubbing his chin.

 

“More like poison,” Skyler muttered under her breathe.

 

“Speaking for myself and the other doctors who have been consulted on his case, I hope you stay, Skyler. It would be a shame for you to desert this patient when you’re making such tremendous headway.”

 

“Is this the classic guilt trip you’re laying on me?” Skyler eyed him suspiciously.

 

Seunghyun merely smiled as he consulted his wristwatch.

 

“I’ve got to leave you with the thought. The plane is waiting at the airfield to take me back to mainland.”

 

He headed for the door, where Daesung was standing by to open it.

 

“Oh, almost forgot. There’s some mail that was sent to the hospital for Mr. Kwon,” Seunghyun nodded down at the large canvas mailbag that had been propped against the wall.

 

“All that?” Skyler asked incredulously.

 

“Mr. Kwon is a very popular man, Skyler. I’m certain you’re aware of how vital an individual he is. Or was until this tragic accident. He approached everything he did with an exuberance”

 

“Seunghyun-shi, you don’t have to highlight to me how important Kwon Jiyong’s presence is to the world. I know it way to well,” Skyler abruptly interrupted Seunghyun.

 

“He’s my sae-eonni’s younger brother.”

 

“Jingja?”

 

Skyler nodded her reply. Seunghyun looked incredulously at her.

 

“So I gather that you are somewhat persuaded into taking up this job?” Seunghyun asked, trying to hide the smile that was forming on his face.

 

“What you think?”

 

He chuckled his reply.

 

“Well, just try not to kill him then. Anyway, call me daily and at any time if there’s any change.”

 

“Good luck.”

 

Skyler merely glared at the retreating figure.

 

“Thanks for nothing.”

 

She felt every ounce of the guilt he’d put on her as she climbed the stairs, anxious to see for herself all this tremendous headway he had referred to.

 

Indeed, Jiyong did look better than he had that morning, and more than a close shave was responsible.

 

“Hi,” Skyler greeted him with an uncharacteristic timidity.

 

“Hi.”

 

“I approve,” she pointed to his shaved face.

 

“I approve,” he replied, taking in her more modest attire of jeans and sneakers.

 

“Thanks. But seriously Dragon. This attire feels hot and uncomfortable. Plus the material itches,” Skyler complained.

 

“You’re crazy, you know that,” Jiyong laughed. Gradually his smile faded until it disappeared altogether.

 

“Did it hurt?” his expression was serious when he asked that question.

 

“What?” Skyler looked at him quizzically.

 

“My beard. When I kissed you. Did it hurt?”

 

The scarlet blossom across her trembled again. But not with indignation.

 

“It scraped a little, I guess. I, umm, I didn’t really notice.”

 

“Oh.”

 

They stared at each other for an uncomfortable amount of time.

 

“Well, I’m sorry if it did,” he said, breaking the silence.

 

“That’s okay.”

 

Nervously she dried her palms on her jeans and d for a graceful means of switching subjects.

 

“You did a real snow job on Dr. Choi. He went on and on about how much you’d improved. Did you show off and perform a trick you haven’t shown me?”

 

“Come here,” Jiyong called to her.

 

Skyler moved closer to his bed. He peeked back the sheet. She was amused to find him wearing a pair of briefs and wondered how much effort it had taken Daesung and him to get them on.

 

“Take a look at that.”

 

“Calvin Klein,” Skyler remarked with a bored yawn.

 

“I’m not label conscious, you know.”

 

“Not my underwear, you ert. Look.”

Jiyong pointed down at his femoral muscle. Skyler saw it flex slightly.

 

“Bravo.”

 

Smiling down at him and applauding, she noticed that his brow was beaded with sweat. Just that much movement had taxed him, but it was movement and she couldn’t have been more pleased.

 

“How about going through some exercises to relax you?”

 

“Fine.”

 

“Don’t agree so readily Dragon. We’ll move into the hard part soon.”

 

Skyler worked on all his joints, then rolled his hips one way while rolling his shoulders in the opposite direction.

 

“By the way, who’s Kagome?” Skyler asked him while Jiyong was in that position causing his head to snap around.

 

“Well, I certainly struck a nerve there, didn’t I?” Skyler remarked upon seeing Jiyong’s reaction.

 

“How do you know about Kagome?”

 

“I don’t. That’s why I asked. Dr. Choi brought over a canvas bag full of mail for you. I happened to glance inside and the first three envelopes I saw had a return address in Japan and the name Kagome Makino was embossed in the corner.”

 

“She’s just this some woman I was seeing.”

 

“Seeing?”

 

“You know what I mean,” Jiyong replied sharply.

 

“Oh, yeah, I know what you mean. Seeing equals sleeping with.”

 

“What of it?”

 

“Nothing.”

 

“What?” Jiyong eyed her.

 

“Well, it’s simply that I didn’t know anybody really named their kid after an anime character.”

 

“I didn’t know anybody really named their daughter Skyler which is actually a boy’s name.”

 

“You’ve got a point,” Skyler chuckled in reply.

 

“My mother did hope for another boy but instead here I am. Guess she chose to name me as such shows her desire for another son.”

 

Jiyong studied her face for a moment, especially .

 

“Well, I’m glad that you are a girl instead of a boy,” Jiyong stated, looking directly at Skyler’s eyes. Heat washed through her cheeks and all over her. Never in her life she blushed such deep crimson red.

 

“Erm… Does your Kagome have any special power?” Skyler asked as she cleared .

 

“No, but I think you are, evil powers that is. Dammit, stop that!” Jiyong’s words rushed out, tumbling over each other.

 

Skyler was trying to bend his knee at a right angle and the limb was resisting the movement. She applied more pressure. Jiyong gnashed his teeth and made a hissing sound.

 

“Does that hurt?”

 

“Hell yes, it,” Jiyong’s gaze sprang to hers.

 

“Is that good?”

 

“Yes it is! Let’s work together to try to bend it. The day will come when you’ll try to bend it and I’ll work against you.”

 

“That’s when you’ll really hate me.”

 

“Make me walk, Sky and I’ll love you.”

 

For a moment their eyes locked, both very much aware of the closeness between then. Skyler was the first to glance away from Jiyong’s penetrating gaze.

 

“They all say that,” she tried to make a joke out of it.

 

“How soon they forget when they’re well.”

 

Without saying anything else, she made several more attempts at bending both his knees. It cost them energy and sweat. Still, she didn’t let up. Not until she and Daesung had transferred Jiyong to the tilt table and he had stood upright on it for almost half an hour.

 

“You’ve been slacking, haven’t you, Dragon?”

 

Jiyong smiled, looking extremely proud of himself.

 

“I was up to half an hour twice a day before I left the hospital.”

 

“Then it was really stupid of you to leave.”

 

“It didn’t seem like much, standing against a table that was actually doing the standing for me.”

 

“But it is much. Since you’re so adapt at it, I think we can move on to bigger and better things.”

 

When he was stretched out full on his bed again, Jiyong drew in a breath of profound relief.

 

“I’m always afraid I’m going to tip out of that thing. I’m glad it’s over.”

 

“Hardly over, Dragon. Take five. Then we really go to work.”

 

Skyler crossed to the door and pulled it open with flair. Using the same theatrics, she disappeared for a second. When she returned, she was riding in a wheelchair.

 

“Beep beep.”

 

She made several trips around the room before bringing the wheelchair to a stop at Jiyong’s bedside. Smiling up at him, she used Busan satori to say the so-called specs of the wheelchair.

 

“It comes loaded with options. Wire wheels, custom upholstery, power steering. Low mileage too. Yessiree, you’d do well to put your money into this baby.”

 

Her audience wasn’t amused. In fact, Jiyong’s deep frown expressed intense dislike

 

“Would you rather see another model?” Skyler enquired.

 

“Get that damn thing out of my sight,” Jiyong retorted through gritted teeth.

 

“What? I thought you’d be excited.”

 

“I don’t care what you thought. I won’t humiliate myself by struggling to get out of bed, only to wind up in a chair I don’t want to be in.”

 

“The doctor says I’m making progress from here. That’s good enough for me.”

 

“Oh, I doubt that,” Skyler retorted back as she leapt from the chair and bore down on him.

 

“Are you reconciled to spending the rest of your life in bed?”

 

“If necessary.”

 

“Well, you might be ready to give up, but I’m not,” Skyler stubbornly shook her head.

 

“What business is it of yours?”

 

“You’re my patient.”

 

“So?”

 

“So, until you can fight me off, you’re at my mercy,” Skyler glowered at him.

 

“What do you mean?”