Chapter 13

Dragon's Fall

A/n: Okay. I'm going to try to get at least 4 chapters publish today. Hwaiting me!

-------------------------------------------------------

“Do you always sleep ?”

 

“Hmm?”

 

“Do you always sleep ?”

 

Skyler stretched languorously between the satin sheets. She yawned broadly. Her eyes came open slowly. To a point. Then they popped wide open.

 

“Jiyong?”

 

“Wow. You remembered my name. I’m flattered.”

 

Skyler pushed the tousled hair away from her face, clutched a handful of satin sheet to her s and propped herself up on one elbow.

 

“What are you doing in my room? How’d you get here?”

 

“You haven’t answered my question yet.”

 

“What question?”

 

“Do you always sleep..”

 

“Yes! Now tell me what possessed Daesung to let you come in here.”

 

“Daesung doesn’t know I’m here. I did it all by myself.”

 

Amazed, Skyler peered over the edge of the bed. Jiyong was sitting in his wheelchair. “You got out of your bed and into the chair all by yourself?”

 

“Proud of me?” Jiyong raised one eyebrow with a smug look on his face.

 

“I certainly am.” She flashed him a brilliant smile but it vanished as quickly as it appeared. “That doesn’t answer my question, though. What are you doing in my room?”

 

“Invading your privacy.”

 

“Exactly. Would you please leave?” Something else suddenly occurred to her.

 

“How did you know I was ?”

 

“I looked under the covers.”

 

Sky gaped at him with disbelief and he started laughing.

 

“Actually, your bikini was lying on the floor and I didn’t see any nightgown straps over your shoulders.”

 

“Oh. Well, if you’d be so kind, Kwon Jiyong-shi,” she coolly nodded towards the door, “I’d like to shower and dress.”

 

“I brought you something.”

 

She had noticed the flowers but they hadn’t truly registered with her until now, when he slipped the pastel plumeria lei over her head and arranged it to his satisfaction around her neck.

 

“Welcome to Hawaii, or well, Maui, Sky.”

 

“You’re several weeks late, aren’t you?”

 

“What are you, a stickler for detail?”

 

Skyler looked down at the fragile, fragrant petals and touch them reverently. They were dewy and cool against her skin.

 

“Komawo, dragon. It’s beautiful.”

 

“You know what goes with a lei, don’t you?” She glanced up quickly. Jiyong’s eyes were twinkling. “AH, I can see that you do.”

 

“We’ll dispense with that part of the tradition.”

 

“That part is the reason the tradition has lasted this long. Besides, I never break with tradition.”

 

Cupping the back of her head in his palm, he drew her forward and kissed her leisurely and expertly.

 

“That’s not the way it’s done,” she said when he lifted his lips off hers.

 

“It’s supposed to be a peck on both cheeks, isn’t it?”

 

“Usually.”

 

“I thought you never broke with tradition?”

 

“Unless your mouth and my tongue are involved.”

 

He kissed her again before she had the willpower to stave him off. Finally she mustered enough willpower to say, “Go away! I’ve got to get up and dress.”

 

His eyes lowered to the sheet, which was doing a poor job of concealing the full shape of her s.

“I think you look great the way you are. So please, don’t get dressed on my account,” he cheekily grin.

 

“Specifically on your account, it took a lot of stamina and strength for you to get out of bed alone. WE need to maximize that momentum.”

 

“I have a better idea. Let’s take the day off and celebrate my progress.”

 

“By doing what exactly?” Skyler quipped her brows.

 

Jiyong ran his thumb over her lips. “By staying in bed.”

 

Then he raised his compelling eyes up to hers. “One bed. This bed. It’s for damn sure we would maximize my momentum.”

 

For a moment Skyler was captivated by his husky voice and enticing suggestion. Too soon, reason returned.

 

“Don’t be ridiculous. Besides, you don’t get a day off. Consequently neither do I.”

 

He took her refusal good-naturedly and pushed his chair away from her bed.

 

“It ain’t gonna wash, Sky.”

 

“What?”

 

“Pretending that last night didn’t happen. But I’m hungry for my breakfast, so for the time being, I’ll retreat.”

 

He spun his chair around and headed for the door. When he reached it, he glanced at her over his shoulder.

 

“And I did look under the covers.”

 

Sky narrowed her eyes on him. “You’re bluffing, Dragon.”

 

“Oh yeah? Love that y little mole just inside your bikini line,” he drawled out cheekily.

 

Before she could stammer a reply, he wheeled out. Skyler threw off the sheet and flitted across the room. She slammed the door closed and locked it, making sure both were heard. Then she stamped into the bathroom and the faucets in the shower.

 

Jiyong was making a big joke out of her attitude towards last night. He thought she was being coy and wasn’t taking her seriously. Last night might have appeased their libidos but it had cost valuable ground as far as getting him to walk again. That, not romance, should be his driving force. It was critical that she reestablish herself as his therapist, not his paramour. Desperate measures were called for.

 

When she entered his room an hour later, he was shooting a basketball into the net he’d had Daesung attach to the wall.

 

“Twenty-seven straight free throws,” he boasted.

 

Skyler walked in as stiff as a starched shirt and yanked the basketball out of his hands. “That’s enough play for now. You can do that on your own time. For the next hour and a half, we’re on my time.” She went to the stereo system and switched it off. Skrillex’s track was arrested in mid-scratch.

 

“What’s with you?” Jiyong asked.

 

“Get your period?”

 

Skyler rounded on him. “That wouldn’t be any of your business, now would it, Kwon Jiyong-shi?”

 

“Or does your foul mood stem from ual deprivation?”

 

“I’m going to ignore that.”

 

“You can’t. Not any better than you can ignore last night. Where’s the lei I gave you?”

 

“In the refrigerator in my room?”

 

“Why not around your neck?”

 

“Be reasonable. I can’t wear it while we’re working.”

 

“Then when?”

 

“I don’t know.”

 

“Dinner tonight?”

 

It was about time to drive the point home.

 

“Look Dragon, it occurs to me that we’ve been together too much lately. A therapist should be a taskmaster, sometimes a confidante but never a”

 

“Lover.”

 

“That wasn’t what I was going to say.”

 

“Oh no?”

 

By an act of will, she contained her temper.

 

“We can’t be such good pals, Dragon.”

 

“I’ve never French-kissed a pal.”

 

“We’re not sweethearts either.”

 

“Right. We’re way beyond the sweetheart stage. In fact, we’re way beyond . We’re ready for the real thing.”

 

His provocative words elicited delicious little shudders inside her. Trying to ignore and deny them, she cleared and said sternly, “If this goes any further, you’ll lost respect for my authority. I’m asking you one last time to cease and desist making these juvenile ual overtures. Today marks a new beginning. It’s going to get tough from here.”

 

During her speech, Jiyong’s face had grown increasingly dark. Her temper had been close to blowing but an eruption of his appeared imminent. By the time she finished, his fists were softly thumping the armrests of his wheelchair.

 

“Tougher than it’s been? What could be tougher than having you nag me hour after hour forcing me to do things I can’t do?”

 

“It’s not supposed to be easy.”

 

“Well, good!” he yelled. “Because it sure as hell isn’t.”

 

“Enough of your whining. Let’s get started,” Sky said peremptorily.

 

And to say the least, the morning therapy session was a disaster already waiting to happen.