Chapter 15

Dragon's Fall

The Lord had no mercy.

 

The following morning when Skyler entered Jiyong’s room, he was propped up against the pillows of his bed wearing a green cast to his skin and a death-wish facial expression.

 

“No basketball this morning?” she asked in a high, piping voice.

 

“No Skrillex?”

 

Jiyong gave her a dangerous look from beneath his self of dark brows. She executed an awkward but enthusiastic pirouette and said, “I feel great! It’s a positively beautiful morning. Did you have Daesung’s special omelet cooked in ham dripping?”

 

Jiyong groaned.

 

“It was delicious. Very cheesy. It fairly oozed when”

 

“Shut up, Skyler,” he threatened between his teeth.

 

“Oh, what’s wrong?” Sky pouted her lips.

 

“Does the great dragon have a tummy ache?”

 

“Get the hell out of her and leave me alone,” Jiyong growled.

 

Laughing, Skyler teased, “I warned you. Don’t blame me for your condition. What was it, gin? Vodka? Scotch? Brandy?”

 

Jiyong moaned in misery and clutched his stomach.

 

“The brandy, huh? Pretty expensive drinking binge. But then you can afford it, can’t you, King Midas?”

 

“I’m going to murder you.”

 

“You’ve got to catch me first, Dragon. And you’ll never do that by lying on your . Come on, get up, let’s get started.”

 

Sky took his hand and tried to pull him up. Jiyong stayed glued to the pillow.

 

“Come on, all joking aside, It’s time to get started.”

 

“I’m not moving from this spot.”

 

Placing her hands on her hips, she gazed down at him in disgust.

 

“Would an aspirin or two help?”

 

“No. Dying might.”

 

“As far as I know, nobody has ever died of a hangover, though there have been millions of prayers to that effect I’m sure,” her voice was still b with good cheer.

 

“You say another one while I get the aspirin just in case God turn a deaf ear and lets you live.”

 

She went into the bathroom and returned in under a minute carrying three aspirin tablets in one hand and a glass of water in the other.

 

“Here you go.”

 

“I don’t want any damn aspirin.”

 

“You’ll feel much better during your workout if you take them.”

 

“I’m not doing any exercise this morning either. I feel like crap.”

 

“And whose fault is that?” Her patience had run out. By the time her voice had developed a serrated cutting edge. “Now stop behaving like a baby and take the aspirin.”

 

She opened his hand and dropped the tablets into his palm. He hurled them across the room. They landed on the floor with tiny pings that might just as well have been bombs landing and exploding. Skyler’s temper snapped. She tossed the full glass of cold water into his lap.

 

That got him off the pillow. He bounced up, gasping in surprise, cursing lividly and staring down incredulously at the puddle of water forming in the V of his thighs. Before he could overcome his astonishment and fury, the doorbell pealed through the house.

 

Daesung had gone to the nearest town to do the marketing, so Skyler had to answer the door. Giving Jiyong one last glare, she left the room and jogged down the stairs. She pulled the wide door open. It would have been difficult to say which woman was more surprised to see the other.

 

The caller regained her voice first and asked Skyler, “Who are you?”

 

“We don’t want any.”

 

“Any what?”

 

“Whatever it is you’re peddling, lady.”

 

The y brunette drew herself up to her full height. The skin over her face’s bone structure smoothed out until there wasn’t a single line or wrinkle in evidence. Icily she said, “I asked you a question.”

 

“Now I’m asking. Who are you?”

 

But Skyler already knew. The pieces of luggage surrounding the woman cost more than Skyler’s compact car. Her clothes didn’t need visible tags to label them expensive. She had milky white skin, clear brown eyes, ebony brown hair and ruby red lips.

 

“It’s freaking Snow White,” Skyler muttered under her breathe.

 

“I beg your pardon?”

 

“Nothing. Come on in.”

 

Skyler stood aside and let the woman step into the foyer. She was careful not to let her skirt brush against Skyler’s bare legs, a snub that she found amusing.

 

“Where’s Daesung?” she asked.

 

So she’d been here before. “Grocery shopping.”

 

“Where’s Jiyong?”

 

“Upstairs in his room.”

 

“And for the final time, who are you?”

 

“Skyler Song.”

 

“Han Ye-seul.”

 

Skyler failed to respond. It seemed that Little Miss Ye-seul was expecting her to drop to her knees and worship her like some sageuk drama. Sky only stared back at the woman, unimpressed and giving no ground.

 

“What are you doing here, Miss Song?”

 

Skyler lowered her eyelid in a slow, suggestive wink.

 

“Wouldn’t you just love to know?” She took a erse pleasure in watching those facial muscles tighten up again.

 

“Relax Ye-seul-shi. I’m Jiyong’s physical therapist.”

 

The woman’s chilly brown eyes moved over Skyler, taking in her bare feet, skimpy gym shorts, sleeveless T-shirt to which promoted a rock radio station and large mismatched earrings.

 

“I want to see Jiyong. Immediately,” she stressed.

 

“Shall I lead the way?” Skyler asked sweetly.

 

“I know the way.”

 

“I figured as much.” Skyler swept her arm wide to indicate the staircase.

 

Ye-seul shouldered her Louis Vuitton handbag and started up the stairs. Just as she reached the top, Skyler called up to her from below.

 

“Oh, maybe I should warn you. He just had an accident in his bed.”

 

She shrugged, bringing her shoulders up level with her earlobes.

 

“Hey, it happens.”