Two Chaebols

Monster

“No, no, no,” Chaerin mumbles to herself frantically as she rushes through the revolving glass doors of YG Corporation. She overslept that morning but is relieved as she makes it into an elevator just barely in time, juggling a stack of files in one arm and a cup of coffee in the other. A string of curse words leave , Chaerin leaning against the wall of the elevator in relief, trying to catch her breath. Her eyes widen as she realizes she isn’t the only one in the elevator, looking over at a young man in a black suit eyeing her with amusement. “I’m sorry, I didn’t see you there,” Chaerin starts to bow in apology but the lid on her coffee pops open, spilling its contents onto the other person in the elevator. She apologizes to him again over and over as she tries to soak up some of the spilled coffee with an unneeded piece of paper.

 

“It’s alright, you don’t need to do that,” The stranger says uncomfortably, moving her hand away from his crotch.

 

“I’ll pay to have them cleaned, I’m so sorry.” Her face burns with embarrassment and she can’t believe how unlike herself she’s being this morning. First she was almost late to work and now she’s acting so clumsily.

 

“There’s no need to worry about that. It’s just coffee spilled on black pants, see? The stain isn’t even visible.” He tries to comfort her and she nods. The elevator dings and Chaerin bows to him again as she gets off on her floor. The strange young man seems so familiar but she can’t remember where she’s seen him from. He’s probably just an employee from a different department she’s crossed paths with but never spoken to. As Chaerin walks through the Public Relations floor she notices everyone moving around and gossipping more than usual.

 

“What’s going on?” She asks a secretary who finished talking to one of the other workers as they noticed Chaerin walking into the office.

 

“The CEO and board executives are introducing the new president of the company today. He’s supposed to be young and handsome.” The secretary tells Chaerin. “He’s a relative of the CEO who has been raised overseas and studied in New York.”

 

Later that morning the CEO of YG Corporation, Yang Hyunsuk, visits the Public Relations department along with his board of executives. Chaerin is shocked to see the stranger from earlier standing next to the CEO, being introduced as the new president of the entire company. He notices her, a look of shock and something else flashing across his face, and makes his way toward her.

 

“We met this morning,” He says bowing to her slightly. “My name is Park Taeyang.”

 

“I’m sorry, again, sajangnim. I am Lee Chaerin, public relations manager. Please take care of me.” Chaerin bows to him again and he smiles gently. He leaves with the CEO and Chaerin can’t stop thinking about his eye smile. There’s something so warm and familiar about Park Taeyang’s smiling face. Back in her office, Chaerin realizes what it is: his smile is just like Youngbae’s.

 

An hour later there’s a knock and Jiyong peeks his head through the doorway. Chaerin smiles brightly when she sees him, his hands carrying two white bags.

 

“Surprise, I brought lunch!” He sings as he sets the bags of food on her desk, grabbing a chair to sit next to her.

 

“Why are you here in the office of your sworn enemy instead of being at your own company?” Chaerin asks in between bites of food, feeling more hungry than she thought that she had been. Jiyong always knew exactly when she needed him the most.

 

“I wouldn’t have to sneak in here if you had just let me get you a job with GD Group.” He teases even though he really does wish she worked for him so that they could be closer, instead of him having to go to YG Corporation just to see her during the day.

 

“Oppa, I’ve told you a hundred times! I wanted to be hired for my skills and not just because I’m the best friend of GD Group’s heir.” Chaerin sighs into her noodles at Jiyong’s childish pouting face.

 

“That’s mean, Chae,” He says feigning hurt, his pout turning into a sly smirk. “You know we’re more than friends.” His smirk takes over his whole face as Chaerin’s phone rings. She answers it as Jiyong places some of his food onto her plate, sitting back to watch as she talks to the person on the other end of the phone. Jiyong smiles at her slightly annoyed expression, her teeth chewing at her bottom lip. He’s always thought that she looks kind of cute when she’s annoyed.

 

“I have to go attend a meeting, I’m sorry for having to end lunch early.” She gets a few more bites of food into before standing up to put on her black suit jacket. “I’ll see you back at the apartment and we’ll eat dinner together.” Chaerin gives him a small hug and he lightly ruffles her hair, careful not to mess it up too much before her meeting.

 

“Be home early and I’ll do all the cooking tonight.” Jiyong grins as he walks out of her office to see his assistant waiting for him outside, chatting to a pretty secretary. The two take the elevator back down to the floor level and walk through the lobby until Jiyong hears someone call out to him. “Yang sajangnim,” Jiyong greets the CEO of YG Corporation, bowing his head slightly.

 

“Jiyong-ssi, what a pleasant surprise to have you here. You must meet our new president before you leave.” Taeyang steps forward as Yang Hyunsuk speaks, looking at Jiyong. “This is Park Taeyang, the new president of YG Corporation.”

 

“It’s nice to meet you, my name is Kwon Jiyong, chief operations officer of the GD Group.” He bows to the other young chaebol and the two study each other.

 

“By the way, Jiyong-ssi, what brings you to our company today?” Yang Hyunsuk words his question careful, his tone full of curiosity. Why was their biggest competitor Kwon Jiyong walking around the company unannounced?

 

“Ah, I’m here for personal reasons, not business.” Jiyong smirks at the older CEO’s confused look. “My fiancée works for YG.” He excuses himself as his assistant informs him that his driver is ready and goes to his car outside. Sitting in the back of his car Jiyong can’t stop thinking about that Park Taeyang, the president of YG Corp. He can’t forget his face, there’s just something about the young president that bothers him. Jiyong couldn’t shake the feeling that he had met this Taeyang before but when they were introduced Taeyang seemed as if he had never seen him before.


Jiyong turns to his assistant suddenly, his face serious. “Find out more information about that Park Taeyang.”