Five Hours

Monster

“She’s approved for visitation.”

 

A voice says from the doorway, causing the officer Chaerin was arguing with to shrug and sigh. She gives him a gloating look before she skips off to follow the older policeman down a narrow hallway. Lee Soohyuk stands at the end of the hallway waiting for her.

 

“Did you have difficulty?” He asks as she gets closer to him.

 

“Only a little bit.” She tells him and he nods.

 

He wants to ask her why she’s here but decides that he shouldn’t.

 

“I said I didn’t want to see that bastard ever again!” Mr. Kwon angrily shouts from the room as she turns the door knob, his deep voice echoing off the walls.

 

“Abeoji, it’s just me.” Chaerin says calmly, slowly opening the door to reveal her reassuring smile.

 

Kwon’s expression softens as she sits across from him at the steel table. She notices his cuffed hands resting on the table and reaches out to gently place a hand on his. He doesn’t scare her anymore, all of his strength seems to have drained from his body. Now he just looks like a tired and harmless old man.

 

“It’s all over, I won’t fight anymore.”

 

“What do mean by that?” Chaerin asks him, her eyebrows furrowed in concern. She knows that he has done horrible things but for some reason she wants to protect him. With her free hand she calls over the police officer guarding the room. “Would you please bring him a cup of water? His voice sounds so hoarse.”

 

“Do you really love my son?” The emotion in his voice is strange and the question catches her off guard.

 

She looks at him in confusion. In all of the time she has known him, he has never cared about love or the emotions of others. To Mr. Kwon, love is a weakness.

 

“I will take care of and protect Kwon Jiyong at all costs.” She tells him and he nods slowly as an officer brings him his water.

 

“You’re the only person I can trust, Lee Chaerin.” He declares suddenly, holding onto his cup of water and looking her squarely in the eye. “I am entrusting you with my vacant position of CEO and transferring to you all of my stock and share holdings.”

 

She stares at him as he sips his water.

 

He motions for her to move in closer.

 

“When my trial is over, please immediately terminate Lee Soohyuk’s employment with the company and our family.” He whispers into her ear.

 

Chaerin leans back in her chair, eyes widened with shock as the older policeman outside the door announces that time is up. She carefully stands up and leaves the room stunned.

 

“Are you alright, sajangnim?” Soohyuk asks her with a smile and the title sounds so foreign to her ears. “Would you like me to walk out with you?”

 

“No that’s okay, I’m fine.” She tells him, walking back out into the station alone.

 

Before she leaves, a sudden feeling causes her to pause. She turns to see Taeyang watching her from the other side of the room. It seems as if he’s going to walk towards her but he only stands still as they silently look at each other.

 

She breaks their gaze and goes out through the door.

 

 


 

“Good morning, Sajangnim!”

 

An employee greets Chaerin with a bow as she walks up to the large glass doors in front of GD Group’s main headquarters. She smiles and feels strange as she passes through the lobby and boards the elevator. After pressing the button for the Executive Floor, Chaerin takes a sip of her coffee. Each time the elevator passes a floor she thinks about all of the people busily working on that floor. The fates of all of those employees are now in her hands and it both scares and excites her.  

 

She never thought that she would ever be at this point. Jiyong would be her husband and she would have a career, that was always the plan. All she ever wanted was to be independent and be able to take care of herself without relying on Jiyong or his family. She wanted to be capable and happy, never hoping to dream bigger than that.

 

Not for a moment had she ever imagined she could be Jiyong’s boss and the CEO of GD Group. She spent her youth riding this elevator up and down, giggling and pressing every button. She and Jiyong had gotten in trouble for running around and they had eaten in the company cafeteria so many times. The elevator stops and Chaerin puts a hand over her chest to still the rapid beating of her heart as she walks out onto the Executive Floor.

 

Her heels click on the tile floor as she makes her way toward the receptionist desk. The team of advisers and receptionists bow to her and she nervously bows back. A woman with vibrant long red hair holding a binder comes up to her and introduces herself.

 

“My name is Gong Minji. I will be your Chief Assistant, Lee Sajangnim.”

 

“You seem really young.” Chaerin says in shock, regretting the words as soon as they leave .

 

“Sajangnim is young, too.” Minji replies with a smile and Chaerin laughs in relief.

 

“Please take care of me, Assistant Gong. What do we have going on for the day?”

 

The two women walk to the large double wooden doors with intricate carvings. Minji opens the great doors as Chaerin looks on in awe of her new office. Kwon hadn’t used his office in years but it was still immaculate. The floor was a dark hardwood other than a tiled meeting space with a table and chairs. Her desk was large with a tall leather chair in front of a massive shelf of books.

 

Chaerin walks into the room and glances at the wall covered by a screen. Her young assistant follows after and pulls back the screen, revealing a floor to ceiling wall of windows overlooking the Seoul skyline. Chaerin presses her hand against the window, gazing out at the city below her. Everything looks so small beneath her, all of the buildings and cars look like toys.

 

“Would you like some time to get used to your office before I brief you?” Minji asks and the new CEO responds with a slow nod.

 

“I would appreciate that, thank you.”

 

Minji leaves her alone and Chaerin runs her hand across the smooth desk. She notices the large glass plaque on top of the desk with her name in golden letter. Chaerin Lee, CEO. Her fingers trace over the letters and she can’t believe any of this is real. She’s living the future she forgot she ever wanted.    

 

Chaerin walks behind the desk and leans back in her leather chair, waiting to wake up from her dream.

 

 


 

The young CEO looks over her shoulder as she quietly enters the company parking garage. She walks toward a silver car waiting by the elevator entrance. As she gets closer to the car the passenger side window rolls down to reveal its driver wearing black sunglasses.

 

“Are you hungry?” He asks her casually as he leans toward her. Chaerin hesitates as she touches the handle without opening the door. “Well?”   

 

She slowly nods and gets into the car as he rolls up the window.

 

“When I saw you at the police station I thought you were there to see hyung.” Dong Youngbae tells her after a few moments, his fingers tapping absentmindedly on the steering wheel.

 

“I changed my mind, stop the car.” She says suddenly, her voice bitter as she starts to reach for the handle.

 

“You’re the one who called me, Chaerin. I just want to talk.” His voice is steady and calm, causing her to pause and remove her grip on the handle. He parks the car and they walk into the restaurant, their hostess leading them to a backroom.

 

Chaerin sits quietly drinking her tea without looking at the man sitting across from her. Youngbae stares at her, his gaze only breaking as the waitress brings out their food.

 

“Are you going to at least talk to me?” He asks her impatiently after the waitress leaves.

 

She looks up at him, still holding her tea.

 

“Are you happy now?” Her expression is blank and her eyes are cold. “Kwon lost his business and his wife. Jiyong is heartbroken and paranoid. He’s barely holding it together, he won’t even leave his room. Are you happy now that you’ve destroyed their family and gotten your revenge?”

 

“What do you mean that Kwon lost his business?” Youngbae asks, causing Chaerin to scoff and roll her eyes.

 

“He’s pleading guilty to all charges and had me appointed for CEO.”

 

Youngbae looks down without saying anything, studying his hands and fidgeting with his wristwatch.

 

“What is it exactly that you want from me, Chae?” He asks her finally without looking back up.

 

“Nothing, I want you to leave me alone.” She answers coldly. “I want you to stop talking to me and stop interfering with Jiyong’s life.”

 

“Why did you call me if you wanted me to stop talking to you?” He laughs.

 

“I wanted to end this once and for all.” Chaerin glares at him, her glossy red lips pressed together in anger. “It’s over now, you got what you wanted.”

 

“Is that all you wanted to say to me?” Youngbae sighs, pushing back his hair.

 

“That’s all.” Chaerin says after a long silence. “I need to leave now.”

 

“Wait,” He calls out to her as she starts to open the door. “I can drive you home.”

 

“That’s not a good idea, Dong Youngbae.” She declines quickly but still lingers at the door.

 

“Please let me at least drive you home.” He pleads, his dark eyes telling a story of remorse.

 

“Alright.” She agrees reluctantly, waiting for him before walking out to the car.

 

Chaerin sits in the passenger seat, looking out the window lost in thought. No, that wasn’t all she wanted to say to him but something stopped her. Something kept her from revealing all that she’s uncovered. Instead, Chaerin keeps the secret inside like a monster tearing her apart until it destroys her.

 

“You missed the exit for my apartment.” Chaerin notices suddenly as she brings herself back out of her thoughts.

 

“I know.”

 

“You said that you were taking me home.” She reminds him, sitting up straight in her seat. He doesn’t say anything. “Dong Youngbae, where are we going?”

 

“I don’t know yet.” He shrugs.

 

“Are you insane? What do you think that you’re doing right now?” She hisses as she glares at him in exasperation and confusion.

 

“I’m kidnapping you.” He tells her calmly, keeping his eyes on the road.

 

Chaerin angrily reaches for her purse to get her phone only to be greeted by a blank screen. She looks at the dead phone in shock, repeatedly trying to turn it on. The young woman leans back in frustration, crossing her arms and refusing to look at him. They sit in silence for hours as Youngbae drives and she eventually falls asleep in exhaustion.

 

When she wakes up she’s alone in the parked car in a dark parking lot with Taeyang’s jacket draped over her body. She gets out of the car and sees Youngbae out in the distance, his body illuminated by the moonlight. A cool breeze blows past and the scent of the sea take over her senses.    

 

Chaerin carefully walks down wooden steps and onto the beach, her high heels digging into the sand. She takes off her shoes and pulls the jacket closer to her for warmth as the night breeze continues to blow.

 

Youngbae stands in the water with his pants rolled up to his knees. He turns to look at her as she approaches but she can see in his eyes that his mind is somewhere far away.

 

“Where are we?” She asks him, her voice sounding strange in combination with the gentle lulling of the tide and the whispering of the wind.

 

He doesn’t answer.

 

“Where are we, Dong Youngbae?”

 

“Near Sokcho.” He tells her quietly.

 

“You’ve got to be kidding me!” Chaerin looks around her in horror and disbelief. “Sokcho is a five hour drive from Seoul. You have to drive me back immediately!”

 

She kicks at the wet sand in frustration but Youngbae ignores her, mesmerized by the reflection of the moon on the water.

 

“Dong Youngbae, please.” She begs as she anxiously walks out in the waves toward him. “Why are we at a beach in Sokcho?”

 

“You keep asking if I’m insane and I’m wondering if I really am.” He continues to stare at the dark waters, his expression full of pain. “My mother is from this town.”

 

Chaerin doesn’t say anything, calming down as she stands next to him watching the back and forth motion of the waves.

 

“It’s too late for a bus.” He tells her but she’s already guessed that. “Please just stay with me, Chaerin. You’re all that I have right now.”

 

After a while they go back to the car and drive in silence. Youngbae pulls into an older neighborhood, untouched by the resorts and tourists. He parks in front of a small white house and helps Chaerin out, closing the door behind her. When he knocks an elderly woman answers the door and her eyes widen in shock.

 

“Youngbae-ah? My Youngbae-ah!” She cries out, wrapping her arms around him. “I thought you were dead all of those years.”

 

Youngbae returns her embrace, gently rubbing her back with his hands. Chaerin stands quietly to the side until the older woman notices her. Chaerin bows and greets her as Youngbae’s grandmother smiles at her warmly.

 

“I’m sorry I only have the one spare room, I hope this will be alright for you two.” Youngbae’s grandmother tells them as she tries to get a large futon and blanket from a cabinet in the room.

 

“I’ll help you with that, halmoni.” Chaerin offers, bringing the futon down onto the floor and unfolding it. She stares at the single futon reluctantly as the older woman sets down the blanket and two pillows.

 

“I brought you two a change of clothes, you shouldn’t be sleeping in those nice ones.” She gives Chaerin and Youngbae each a pile of folded clothes.

 

“I can sleep on the floor.” Youngbae offers when they’re alone in the room together.

 

“Don’t do that, just sleep as far away from me as possible.” Chaerin mumbles as she tries to put on the pair of sweatpants without having to take off her skirt.

 

“Do you need help?” He asks as he s his shirt to put on his grandfather’s old sweatshirt.

 

“No! Turn around!” She shouts, ping the skirt and slipping it off as soon as his back is to her. The sweatpants are baggy on her frame and combined with the pastel pink sweatshirt she looks like an old ahjumma. She can’t help but laugh as Youngbae turns around wearing the light blue sweatpants that are too long and the sweatshirt that is too small for him.  

 

“You don’t look any better.” He grumbles as she quickly hides under the blanket on the side of the futon closest to the wall. Youngbae turns off the light before stumbling towards the futon and getting in at the very edge, trying to leave space between them.

 

They lay in silence in the dark, listening to one another’s gentle breathing but unable to fall asleep. She turns restlessly onto her side, her hand softly brushing Youngbae’s. Instead of moving her hand she keeps it there and doesn’t protest when his larger hand holds onto her own.

 

“In the morning we have to return to reality.” She whispers to him, searching for his face in the dark. “I can only run away for one night. I should be with Jiyong right now...”

 

He pulls her toward him, wrapping his arms around her shoulders.

 

“Don’t say that name right now, not in our escape.” He whispers into her hair. She rests her head on his shoulder and he holds her as they fall asleep.

 

In the morning Youngbae wakes up alone and the room feels colder. The pink sweatpants are neatly folded in the corner and Chaerin’s clothes and purse are gone. He walks into the kitchen to see his grandmother cooking while listening to the television.

 

“That young lady left early this morning to catch a bus up the road. I wasn’t sure what time you would be leaving or if I should make you something to eat.”

 

Youngbae stares at the image on the television as his grandmother chatters away.

 

“You didn’t have dinner last night did you? I’ll make you breakfast so you should eat something. Youngbae-ah, are you listening?”


“Breaking news: Former CEO of GD Group arrested for fraud, Kwon Seongwook, committed suicide last night in his jail cell.”


Youngbae grabs the table as his legs give way underneath him. The color drains from his face as he listens to the broadcaster report the news with such an eerily calm voice. His grandmother rushes to help him but all he can see is that smug face taunting him on the television screen.

- - -

Author's Note: I'm so sorry this took so long, I wanted to update all of my stories and I accomplished that goal so now I have more time to devote to writing Monster and my other multichapter stories. So, a lot has happened!! I would like to thank everyone who subscribes and leaves comments, seeing your kind words makes the hours I spend writing worth it! As always, I would love to know what you think of this chapter and how you think the characters will deal with all of these new developments. Is it over? What will Youngbae do now??

Also, you might have noticed I changed the poster. What do you think of it?~~