One Question

Monster

The president of YG Corporation hums to himself happily as he signs the multiple papers stacked on his desk. He’s been in good spirits ever since Chaerin called him a few nights ago, happy that they could repair their relationship. His hand reaches out to the company phone, dialling an extension he had long since memorized.

 

“Hello, could you please connect me to Lee Chaerin?” He cheerily asks as he leans back in chair.

 

“I’m sorry, sajangnim, but Lee Chaerin is not in the office today.” The secretary replies before hanging up and a frown forms on his face.

 

How could she not be there? He wonders if she slept in or if she’s feeling sick again. It’s not like her to just miss work, she’s a complete workaholic. His phone rings and he quickly picks it up, hoping that it’s Chaerin and she was just late coming into the office.

 

“Hello, sajangnim, I’m calling back because Lee Chaerin recently sent in a letter of resignation and it was processed this morning. She’s no longer a member of this company.”

 

Taeyang sets down the phone slowly, too shocked to be angry. He doesn’t understand why. Why would Chaerin suddenly resign without even telling him? He thought that they had resolved their problem and made up. She sounded fine when he spoke to her over the phone, was it because of him? Did she resign because of him? He gets out his cell phone and calls her number but she doesn’t answer. He tries to call again but it goes to voicemail.

 

“Are you alright, Taeyang-ah?” Yang Hyunsuk walks into the office with a concerned look on his face as Taeyang attempts to call her again out of frustration.

 

“I’m fine,” He says unconvincingly as he sets his cell phone down on the desk, staring ahead at a wall.

 

“Are you sure? You look sick.”

 

“I’m fine.” Taeyang repeats as the YG CEO sits down in front of him. “Lee Chaerin’s letter of resignation was processed this morning. I’m sorry I wasn’t able to do what you asked of me, I couldn’t get closer to her.”

 

“Why would she resign?” Hyunsuk asks in shock. “Was it something you did?”

 

“No,” Taeyang shakes his head even though he’s not sure if it wasn’t something he had done. “I don’t know why, everything was fine. I really wish I just knew why.”

 

Hyunsuk looks at him sympathetically, having a hunch as to why Lee Chaerin may have suddenly resigned from the company. He knows that it’s probably connected to Kwon Jiyong and their longstanding betrothal. He won’t say anything to Taeyang but Kwon Jiyong and Lee Chaerin are most likely going to get married soon, it only makes sense. The older man scratches at his chin as he thinks, wondering if the two of them are planning something more than that.

 

“Ah, Lee Kijin and Kwon Jiyong are arriving from Paris this afternoon.” Hyunsuk says aloud, the sentence escaping from his thoughts.

 

Taeyang tries to remember if he had ever met Lee Kijin but quickly realizes the man was never around often enough to meet him. His only memories of Mr. Lee involve Chaerin’s long sighs and lavish presents from around the world. He was gone for business so often that Taeyang had probably seen the man as much as his daughter had.

 

Yang Hyunsuk notices Taeyang’s pensive look and pats him on the hand reassuringly.

 

The younger man gives him a small lopsided smile but he’s still lost in his thoughts.

 

 


 

“Appa!” Chaerin shouts out, the wind whipping her hair around wildly as she stands outside of the airport.

 

Jiyong and Lee Kijin step out of the private plane, walking one behind another as they descend down a ladder. They walk over to where Chaerin stands waiting with all of the security personnel. Mr. Lee hugs his daughter and Jiyong bows at her shyly from behind him. The older man notices this and pats Jiyong on shoulder.

 

“Don’t be shy, my boy.” He teases as he steps back so that Chaerin can greet the young chaebol properly.

 

Chaerin smiles gently at her friend, pulling him into a hug and giving him a light kiss on the cheek.

 

“Welcome home,” She tells the two men as they’re escorted to a limousine. “You’re looking healthy, appa, but I hope that you haven’t been straining yourself too much.”    

 

“No, it was a big help having Jiyong with me in Paris.” The older CEO says with a hearty laugh, causing the other man to smile.

 

“It was a pleasure doing business with you as always, Mr. Lee.”

 

“Well, business is all taken care of so it’s time for you to have fun now.” He laughs again, patting Jiyong’s knee. The limousine stops outside of Jiyong and Chaerin’s apartment building.

 

“Appa, would you like to come inside for tea?”

 

“No, Chaerin-ah, I don’t want to intrude. Besides, Jiyong should be enjoying himself with his birthday coming up in a few days.” Mr. Lee winks and Chaerin blushes at the hidden meaning, hitting her father’s arm in embarrassment. Jiyong helps Chaerin out of the limo while stifling a laugh, waving as the car drives off.

 

“Look, Chae, about the other night, I’m really…” Jiyong tries to apologize as they get into the elevator but Chaerin stops him.

 

“I’ve already forgiven you, oppa. Don’t even think about it.” She says bluntly as the elevator doors open. Her hand reaches out to hold his and he looks over at her in surprise. “I’m happy that you’re home,” She squeezes his hand reassuringly, giving him a bright smile as they walk to their door and into the apartment.  

 

Sitting on the table when they walk into the living room is an ice bucket with a bottle of champagne. Chaerin looks at the champagne curiously, knowing that it hadn’t been there when she had left the apartment that morning. She looks up at Jiyong in confusion and he only smiles.

 

“I had it delivered earlier,” He says simply but she’s still confused.

 

“But what are we celebrating, oppa?”

 

The Kwon heir kneels down on one knee before her. Panic flickers across her face for a moment before she calms down and allows herself to look surprised.

 

“You’re the only thing I’ve ever loved in life.” He takes a velvet box from his suit pocket, holding it out to her. “No matter what has happened, I’ve loved you. No matter what you do or where you go, I will love you. Lee Chaerin, will you marry me, and let me love you forever?”

 

He opens the box to reveal a glittering diamond ring and looks up to see silent tears fall down her cheeks.

 

“Chae,” He whispers in concern and asks again, this time in a low desperate voice. “Will you marry me?”

 

Wiping away the tears from her eyes, she nods without speaking. Slowly, he slips the ring onto her finger as if she’ll break into a million tiny pieces if he’s not careful. She helps him stand up and kisses him gently on the cheek.

 

“Thank you,” He whispers into her hair as he pulls her into a tight hug.

 

They pop open the bottle of champagne and toast to their engagement as Chaerin quietly inspects her new ring, watching the way it sparkles in the light.

 

 


 

When Park Taeyang arrives at the birthday celebration for the heir to GD Group, the guests greet him in shock at his presence. They had all heard of YG’s new golden boy but most had never seen him in person.

 

“Taeyang-ssi! Taeyang-ssi, over here.” A familiar obnoxious voice calls him over and he turns from the bartender to see Kwon Jiyong’s mother. He begrudgingly walks toward her and her bony arms wrap him in a hug before quickly letting go. “I’m so glad that you could make to celebrate my Jiyongie’s birthday. I’m so happy that the two of you have become such good friends.”

 

Taeyang grimaces at her words but she doesn’t notice as she continues to chatter.

 

“Have you heard the wonderful news?” She asks in a dramatic flourish and he shakes his head.

 

“What news?” He begins to ask as the ballroom becomes quiet as the man of the evening walks up the steps to the main stage. His breath hitches as he watches Chaerin follow behind, her long chiffon gown flowing around her and making her look like a queen. He’s mesmerized by her beauty but doesn’t fail to notice that she’s lost weight. He remembers what would happen when she was younger. Whenever she was worried or upset she wouldn’t be able to eat and would get so thin from worrying that she’d become anemic. He watches in disdain as Kwon Jiyong is handed a microphone and a round of applause erupts in the crowd as he clears his throat.

 

“I have an important announcement to make.” Jiyong says proudly to the crowd.

 

Taeyang notices something on stage briefly reflect a prism of light.

 

“I’d like to thank all of my close friends and loyal business associates for gathering here today.”

 

The object flickers again and Taeyang notices that it’s coming from Chaerin.

 

“That’s why now is the best time as ever to share my happy news.”

 

Taeyang heart sinks to the floor as she steps closer to Jiyong.

 

No.

 

No, no, no.

 

“Or I suppose I should our happy news - Lee Chaerin and I are engaged to be married. Everyone please take care of us.”

Chaerin folds her hands to bow and Taeyang gets a perfect view of her ring. His face goes pale as Jiyong’s mother turns to him with a wide smile.

 

“Isn’t that incredible news?” She gloats happily but Taeyang is still staring in shock at the couple on the stage.

 

Chaerin looks out at the crowd, making eye contact with Taeyang. He stares at her in disbelief but her expression doesn’t change. Turning around, he leaves the ballroom pushing through the crowd of people. He pushes open the door to the mens bathroom, turning on the faucet and splashing his face with water. His hands grasp roughly onto the counter as he breathes heavily, looking at his wild reflection in the mirror.

 

He knew his entire life that Jiyong and Chaerin would get married. He knew it when he was a young boy and he knew it when he was in America. He knew it but that didn’t his heart from hurting. Trying to stop the unbearable pain, he clutches at his chest. The pain won’t stop as he slouches down onto the floor. He shouldn’t have even come to this party, he knew that he shouldn’t have. Jiyong most likely only invited him so that he could brag. He knew that he shouldn’t have come but he would have done anything to see Chaerin again. After she resigned from her job and stopped taking his calls he had to see her. He wanted to know why she was ignoring him.

 

Taeyang laughs bitterly.

 

Now he knows.

 

The door opens but he doesn’t look up until he hears the familiar click of heels. His eyes trail from her sky high heels to her smooth legs peeking out of slits of sheer chiffon to the soft curls over one shoulder to her beautiful face. She’s looking at him with such pity that he immediately looks away. He wishes he could be angry but he can’t feel anything other than sadness.

 

“Congratulations,” He says quietly but they both know he doesn’t mean it.

 

She doesn’t thank him, doesn’t say anything, as she continues to stand tall like a goddess in front of him. She’s about to become the most powerful woman in Korea and to Taeyang she certainly looks the part.

 

“Get off the floor.” She says after a long silence and it feels like her heart is breaking in half. Just looking at him slumped on the floor makes her want to run away. She knows she shouldn’t have come looking for him. She opens to speak but he stops her.

 

“You should go back to the party before anyone starts looking for you. It would be bad if someone saw Kwon Jiyong’s wife in a bathroom with another man.”


His words are telling her to leave but as Chaerin looks at his face she knows that’s the last thing he wants her to do.

 

- - -

Author's Note: Hi! Sorry that this took so much longer to update, I've been really really busy with school lately. This story means a lot to me and it's getting more and more complex so it takes a little bit longer to write because I want each chapter to be perfect and meaningful. A lot of things are changing for GDYBCL in their world so what do you think will happen next? Does Chae really love Jiyong or does she have another reason for agreeing to marry him? What will happen to YB now?

As always, thank you to all of my subscribers and for everyone who comments and supports my story. I love you all!