Act 33

Marriage with a Handsome Man

Act 33 - Tears

There she lay on the bed, her face so pale. I couldn’t believe what I’m seeing; my Victoria in a hospital bed. I sat down next to her, her hand to my cheek.

“Why?” was all I can ask her.

What happened during the time when I was away? Her voice on the phone was so cheerful but she doesn’t look cheerful at all. She looks like she’s lost weight when I was gone.

“Nichkhun,” WooYoung whispers from the doorway.

I turn to look at him, motioning for him to come in. He stands next to me, peering down to see Victoria’s pale face.

“How is she?” he asks in a concern voice.

“I don’t know… Look at her, she’s so skinny.”

“Don’t worry. I’m sure she’ll be fine tomorrow. You need some rest. You haven’t slept in the last two days.”

WooYoung was concern about me, I know but I just couldn’t sleep when she’s here. I needed to be here to comfort her when she wakes up.

“I’ll be fine.” I weakly smile to him.

“Don’t come to work tomorrow. You need to watch out for her. I will take care of everything while you’re gone.” WooYoung gave me a smile.

“Thanks WooYoung.”

Moments later, Krystal came running into the room with a frightful face.

“W-what happen to Toria?” Krystal asks me with a shaking voice.

“I don’t know.” I answer her.

“Unni…” Krystal cries.

Sherleen and my parents stop by after the party ended. Sherleen and dad had a worry face but mom, she had a neutral face as if it wasn’t a big deal. Dad and mom left shortly after except for Sherleen who wanted to stay for a little longer.

Sherleen and I are sitting outside while Krystal stays inside with Victoria.

“I should have force her to eat more. She looked so stress out each time I came home.”

“It’s not your fault Sherleen.” I try to calm her down..

“Do you think it has something to do with her family?”

“Could be. We won’t know until she’s awake.”

“Mom should have let her go visit her parents instead of forcing her to attend the stupid party.” Sherleen whine.

“What do you mean?” I look at her with a serious face.

“Unni’s been doing everything mom wanted for the past weeks. Mom said that she will let unni go visit her parents but she changed her mind saying that unni has to attend the party first. I don’t know why she changed her mind. I mean dad has his party every year. Missing this year wouldn’t be that bad.”

I was processing what Sherleen say. I remember Victoria being happy that she was going home to visit her parents but it was delay. Now that I think about it…

Krystal and Sherleen went home after midnight because they had school and work to go to in the morning. I kept her back hand to my cheek as I lay down to look at her face.

“You can’t leave me…” I whisper.

The only sound I can hear was her even breathing and the monitor.

“Wake up Victoria…” I caress her warm cheek with the tips of my fingers.

 

(Victoria POV)

I had a very bad dream about pa. He was leaving me to a far, far place where I would never see him again. I cried and cried but he wouldn’t return. The look on his face was a smile, his eyes glistering with happiness but why isn’t he coming to me? I call him so much with tears but I can never reach him.

Suddenly, I open my eyes, hot tears streaming down from my eyes. I look around and notice that I was in the hospital. I was wearing a gown with wires tape up to my arm. Nichkhun was asleep in a sitting position with one of my hand to his cheek.

All I could do was cry and cry, no voice able to leave my mouth. ‘Nichkhun…’ I thought to myself.  I slowly retrieve my hand back, causing him to stir in his sleep. Slowly he lift his head up, his eyes barely able to open.

Upon seeing me, he was fully awake, hugging me tightly in his embrace.

“Victoria. You’re up.” He continues to repeat over and over again, rubbing my back with his hands.

I cry even harder, remembering what had happen. He didn’t ask me any questions but to hold me in his arms. I cry and cry until my eyes were too dry to cry anymore. Nichkhun put me back into a sleeping position, urging me to sleep. I shook my head, holding onto his arm tightly. I didn’t want him to leave me, scared he will never return like pa.

“I won’t go anymore Toria. Get some rest.”

I shake my head.

He sigh, “Want to tell me what happen?”

I shake my head, afraid that more tears will fall if I continue to think about it.

“Okay. I won’t ask you until you’re ready.” He brushes my hair with his fingers, humming to a song that I wasn’t familiar with.

Listening to his humming, I slowly drifted to sleep.

 

(Nichkhun POV)

I don’t know why she cried so much, it’s as if someone she loved has passed away. After putting her back to sleep, I decided to check her phone and see who she last talked with.

“Amber?” I whisper her name out.

What happen between their conversations? I quietly close the door so that she wouldn’t wake up. I was curious so I call her. The phone ring four times before someone pick up.

“Hello?” the other side answers.

“Hi, is this amber?” I spoke in English, remembering she knew English.

“This is Amber. You are?” she asks back in English.

Our conversation was in English because she didn’t know Korean and I didn’t know Chinese.

“I’m Victoria’s husband, Nichkhun. Do you remember?”

“Ah yes. How’s Victoria holding up?” she asks me.

“She fainted and is resting at the hospital as of now.”

“Is she okay?” Amber voice filled with worries.

“She’s fine. I was wondering, what did you and Victoria talked about?”

“She didn’t tell you?”

“No. She cried a lot when she awoken and when I ask her, she only shakes her head.”

“Victoria’s pa passed away.”

“W-what?”

I was shock.

“Didn’t she say her pa was all better?”

“He’s never been well since a while ago. It turned out he had cancer but kept it a secret all this time.”

“Does she know?”

“I didn’t tell her yet because I was afraid she’ll faint. I knew I should have never told her.” Amber sounded regretful.

“She deserves to know. After all, it’s her pa.” I sigh.

“Promise me you’ll take good care of her. Her pa’s dying wish was for her to have a happy marriage.”

“Don’t worry. I’ll take care of her. We will come visit when she’s better. Take care of her ma for us, will you?”

“I will. Take care Nichkhun.”

“You too.”

I walk back inside her room to find her still asleep.

“You’re not alone Victoria. I won’t leave you, ever.”