oo1

FIGHTING WARS: The Archaic Expression

I want you to have a perfect future.
Reckless words.

Kwon Sohyun's eyes slowly opened and squinted at the sunlight bathing through the high window. The sun felt warm in the cold room, but not warm enough. Her hands lazily searched for her blankets, feeling the empty space and cold sheets, and then she felt something warm. A body lying beside her heavy and soft.
“Whose this?”

 

 

“And there she goes with a sharp left jab! Now a right! Left! The Knockout Queen attempts a high kick! Oh it was dodged! Oh but wait! Another left jab! Another right! She’s just too quick! There she goes! There she goes! Oh! Her opponent finally goes down! The Knockout Queen’s eight consecutive win for the night, can you believe it? She is really back, ladies and gentlemen! The legend has returned to Korea.”

Crowds cheering. Sweat. Blood. Heart racing. These were the moments Sohyun lived for. The referee threw her arm up to showcase the victor. The crowd threw their praises louder, greater.

More. More.

“Who else wants some?” She screamed. She jumped on the high ropes and got more reaction from her audience. They were loving her, and she was loving it. Her first night back in Seoul, Korea: a success. Reunions, shopping, clubbing? No, the ring is where she belonged. Throwing her mighty fists at someone brave yet stupid enough to earn it.

Four years. Four long years, it’s been.

That still didn’t explain how the girl who now lay in her bed in only underwear got to her place to begin with. She was never into girls before. Did she get so wasted that she…

 

 

“Here it is. 50 million won.” The broker placed the wad of cash in Sohyun’s hand, almost regretfully as he let go of the money. The gym that was filled with a crowd cheering for Sohyun moments ago was now just a room with leftover snack crumbs, a sweat stained ring and empty bleachers. “You earned it, Knockout Queen.”

“I said not to call me that.” Sohyun continued counting her bills, hardly portraying her disinterest in the old nickname, among others she carried. “That’s all in the past. Now I just go by the girl who will fight anyone, if they’re up to it.”

They both laughed, filling the empty gym with their sounds. They thought they were alone until Sohyun caught someone standing behind the ring. Realizing they were found out, the person stepped out. She looked to be around Sohyun’s age and yet she came off as a middle schooler and she definitely didn't look like she belonged. She wore round glasses, a long pink skirt, white blazer and a flowery head band. She was too pretty and too girly to be in such a dingy and dangerous environment. The broker asked Sohyun if she knew the girl and the answer was an obvious no. 

“I’m a huge fan.” The girl spoke softly. She stood stiffly, her shoulders bunched and head slightly lowered. Sohyun felt uncomfortable just looking at her.

“I don’t do autographs.” She finished counting her winnings and stuck them in her gym bag before throwing it over her shoulder. “A little thing like you shouldn't hang around such dangerous places. Especially around this time of night.”

“But you’re a little thing yourself.” The girl retorted innocently which caused the broker to laugh while Sohyun dropped her bag and her jaw.

“I’m not…I’m not a little thing! I’m a beast!” She protested raising her voice.

The girl finally smiled and nodded. “Yes, looks aside you are quite intimidating, Judas.”

The broker took that as his cue to leave while Sohyun huffed and lifted her bag over her shoulder again. She eyed the girl closely.

“So you know more about me, then.”

“Yes. Like I said, I’m a huge fan, which is why I’m approaching you.” The girl moved up closer to Sohyun and suddenly dropped to her knees, bowing her head to the ground. “Please teach me!”
“Great…” Sohyun rolled her eyes and exited the venue. Just as her stomach began growling when she reached the parking lot she was greeted by a group of people, the majority of them being opponents she fought with in the ring. “Here for round two?” She teased drawing out their death glares.

Oh they were ready alright; however their leader stepped forward to calm his group down. “Kwon Sohyun, is it? So you used to be the legend, Judas: The Knockout Queen.”

Sohyun knew she was going to be hearing this quite a bit but already it was starting to annoy her. “Yeah but now it’s just Kwon Sohyun.” She admitted.

“That’s fine. You nearly beat my entire crew tonight. We’re broke, needless to say.”

“Not my fault you have weak subordinates.”

One of her contenders spoke out. “You rude little…”

The leader quieted him down again. “There will be no more fighting tonight.  There’s been enough disgrace in our squad already.”

“But boss…”

“That’s enough. Kwon Sohyun, you fought well tonight. We look forward to a re-match.”

“Oh.” Sohyun agreed. “I look forward to taking your money again.”

The group left bitterly and Sohyun giggled. Bomi continued to latch herself onto Sohyun, even as they went to her favorite street vendor to eat pork and spicy rice cakes.

"Why do you want to learn how to fight anyway?"

Bomi choked down the last bit of food in and answered quietly, "I want to be strong."

Sohyun was uninterested, even though she asked. "Chunseon High School has 999 students, all who are extremely competitive. There everyone is fighting to be the highest ranking student. You could become famous and have a better life. I want that. I need that."

"You go to Chunseon High?" Food spilled from Sohyun's mouth as she asked the question in awe. Bomi didn't seem the type to be a student of such a rowdy school but nevertheless she nodded. It was because of this Sohyun decided not to make a run for it and ditch the girl. "What's your rank?"

"#999."

Sohyun's laughter echoed through the streets of Seoul. It didn't surprise her that Bomi was dead last but the actual number was quite sad to hear. Sohyun didn't plan on being last or close to the top. She planned on being the #1 student at school and prove that she was the best fighter.  Bomi explained that the school sustained 999 students at all times, so with Sohyun's transfer to Chunseon a student would be transferred out to maintain balance. Sohyun had no qualms about it. She asked Bomi how the ranking system works so she would know how to move up quicker.

"Chunseon has a replacement system. Once a battle is over the victor takes the rank of the higher ranking person they defeated. If they lose then they stay in their place. It's as simple as that."

Sohyun smiled wickedly to herself. In her giddy state she didn't realize that Bomi had followed her all the way to her own apartment. "Tell me more about Chunseon!" She snatched two beers out of her refrigerator and helped herself to both as Bomi data dumped her the Chunseon High School basics. The school was the most presitigious in the country when it came to freedom and allowing the students to fight at their own will. The board valued their fighting skills more than their education nevertheless it only accepted invididuals with a certain IQ based on their Aptitude Entry Exam. She passed the test with flying colors. She was always smart on top of being strong. Chunseon being her ideal school made her excited and she didn't mind Bomi talking her until her words became a blur and she was just happy hearing the strange girl talk and from that she went to sleep and somehow that's how she woke up to Bomi lying right beside her in her own bed.

"Hey, we're late for school."