three.

계층: Hierarchy Matters
chapterthree.
 

[A/N: In this chapter, Kimbum was already in Singapore Hotel]

 

Kimbum sat on his king sized bed in the hotel room he has booked for the week in Singapore. He brought Bora, his girlfriend, along – without his parents or company’s notice. Yoon Bora, who was now studying in a University majoring in Music, has been with Kimbum ever since they were in school. Kimbum being Bora’s senior.

 

Kimbum has always been passionate about Bora. As for Bora, she’s also as equally passionate about Kimbum, and even his brothers. When she’s out with her other friends, she would frequently boast about Kimbum’s brothers as well, especially about Myungsoo. She frequently drops by the house and cooks for the boys when she isn’t too busy on school.

 

Upon unpacking his bag, he came across a photo frame of the only family picture he had memory of. He stared blankly at the picture, before his eyes started to tear slightly. He blinked away his tears before looking at the features of his parents.

 

Their parents – Kim Sangin and Kim Jinah – currently resides in Busan, South Korea. They are also in charge of running Wanjeonhan, however they are always changing between states – being in charge of promoting and making the company more widespread around the country – and if possible, globalizing the company. Currently, though, their parents are residing in Busan, where they successfully opened a 2 branch office. Because they are always travelling and shifting between states, the brothers only get to see them once in a blue moon.

 

Kimbum remembers,  and indeed, he remembers well when he first graduated and started to work in the company. He used to work as a dresser for some models as well as an intern accountant in Wanjeonhan. Kimbum spent a couple of years working as those job positions, making the people around the company talk about him. At times, he gets humiliated for ‘not being smart.’ Also, people were gossiping with words such as “Why isn’t he like his parents?” Therefore, the position Kimbum holds now – he does not ever want to lose it, after all the crap he has gone through.

 

“Oppa,” Bora called out after catching Kimbum staring at the photo frame for the past minutes. She sighed and walked over to him, sitting at the edge of the bed. In the long dress she was still in, Bora leaned in and pressed her lips on Kimbum’s. Pulling away, she muttered. “Gwaenchana.”

 

“Bora ah.. Why not you go down and get yourself some food? I think I’m too tired to-”

 

“Yah Oppa!” Bora cut his statement off, suddenly agitated. “We were supposed to go on a date today. I--” she sighed.

 

Kimbum rubbed his temples and shakes his head. “Sorry... I forgot.”

 

“You what?” she said, rather stern.

 

“Huh.. I.. I’m just, tired.”

 

“But this is one of your only days you are free! You know what, I’ve always been understanding you. I know it is that hard to spend time with me, but can’t you just.. Ugh!” Bora exclaimed. She wasn’t the type to vent her anger just like that, but she was really disappointed this time. Especially since they were overseas together.

 

“Bora liste-”  

 

“I’m tired of listening, okay?! I-”

 

And suddenly, Kimbum’s phone rang. Bora rolled her eyes before crossing her arms, looking away. When Kimbum picked up and heard that it was from Seungja High, he diverted his full attention to the phone call.

Kim Sangbum-ssi? I’m here to talk about Myungsoo’s grades. Apparently, looking at his position and results now, if he does not complete this year properly, he might have to drop out of high school.”

 

“Myungsoo?! ...Alright, I get it... Thank you,” Kimbum sighed, trying his best to keep his professional tone. He glanced at Bora who seemed to have soften after hearing Myungsoo’s name. She always does soften whenever he hears about the brothers.

 

“Right, and if you mind, attending tomorrow’s parent teacher conference?” the lady over the phone continued.

 

“Uh... I’m sorry Seonsaengnim, but I will be in Singapore. And I wouldn’t be able to make it. Neither will my parents, as usual,” he mumbled the last part. Lastly, he simply nodded (like as if Myungsoo’s teacher was able to see) and hung up.

 

Bora sighed, not wanting to ask Kimbum anything because she kind of assumed, and knew just what he have heard. With that, Bora smiled bitterly and turned around, leaving the hotel room with the key and wallet.

 

Kimbum flopped back down on the bed, tossing phone right after. He laid down and covered his eyes with his forearm. He then started to think about everything about his life. He remembers, back when his parents weren’t so successful yet – he preferred it then. Although they never felt just like a perfect family, Kimbum was still able to reminisce the memories, the little ones that he had.

 

(Kimbum’s flashback)

 

“Hyung!!!” Mingyu laughed hard, trying to grab Jongin’s bag as they run in the front gate of the house. It was the afternoon of Mingyu’s first day of elementary school, and of course, he’s accompanied by his fourth grade hyung, Jongin.

 

“Yah kids slow down!” Kimbum chuckled. “It’s the first day, why is your uniform so messy? Aigo!”

 

Mingyu pouted and playfully points at Jongin, earning a hit on his arm. “Bye Mingyu!” Jongin laughed while running all the way inside the house.

 

“Yah Jongin! Umma bought bunk beds for us!”

 

“YAY! The top one’s mine!” Jongin grinned playfully, running off into the room.

 

Kimbum smiled and watched as Mingyu gave a really disappointed face before turning to him. “Hyung, will he keep lying down on top forever? I want to try lying down there!”

 

“Aniya, when Jongin graduates, I’m sure he doesn’t want to have that bed anymore,” he laughed.

 

True enough, though. Jongin remained and enjoyed occupying the top of the bunk bed, up until his graduation. Once he graduated from school, his life began to be tougher, earning him more stress and inconvenience. And because of that, Jongin found it hard to remain at the top of the bunk bed, since his frequent waking up and doing work started to bother Mingyu. With that, they switched positions.

 

On days Jongin don’t return home from work though, Mingyu would simply occupy the bottom bed, hoping to be woken up by Jongin in the middle of the night -- but that never happened.

 

Kimbum kept himself on the bed; now lying down and staring blankly at the ceiling. He wondered, ”was my care to them not enough? Doesn’t it show enough?” And with that question in mind, he realized, indeed, his care wasn’t evident. In that split second, he came up with an idea for his brothers; which is to go on vacation, somewhere. Maybe in Korea, maybe not. However, he didn’t have to ask his brothers to know what their exact replies would be. Jongin, would be too busy with work due to the latest project. Myungsoo, would despise anything that has to do with travelling, or holidays. Or being with Kimbum. Kimbum knew, though, that he could at least bring Mingyu out, even though Mingyu might have to take leave from school for a few days.

 

With that in mind, he got up on his feet, glancing at the time. 10pm.Sacrifice,” he thought to himself before grabbing his wallet and leaving the hotel room to find Bora. All he could do was predict where and what Bora could have been doing at this time. True enough, he found Bora at the hotel’s cafe at the lobby, drinking alone.

 

He approached Bora, and apologized. Although she was still disappointed, she knew, better than anyone, that Kimbum was having a very hard time. She didn’t show any hesitation and agreed when Kimbum invited her out sightseeing in the end.

 

They spent the rest of the night walking around the near-empty Marina Bay Sands, and then towards the Singapore Flyer. After years, since Kimbum became the CEO, it was their first time they actually had a real date together.

 

~*~*~*~*~*~

 

According to schedule, Kimbum was to stay in Singapore for the whole week, but because of the need to drop by Myungsoo’s school within the week, he had to return back to Korea as soon as he completed whatever he has to do in Singapore. And since Bora has a family in Singapore, she had to stay for another few days so that she could spend time with her family.

As soon as Kimbum arrived in Korea, he hurried home, hoping that all his brothers were home, especially Myungsoo. He wasn’t really in the mood to start scolding Myungsoo partially because Kimbum knew that he wouldn’t receive any attention from Myungsoo at all.

 

The minute he arrived home, he saw the brothers at their usual positions – Myungsoo at the couch lazing around with his phone, and television left on. Jongin on the dining table, flipping through files and Mingyu in his room, drowned in his own thoughts.

 

Kimbum didn’t bother to greet any of them, because he knew well enough all their responses. Instead, he simply just checked on Jongin and tell him to stay in the room with Mingyu. Jongin didn’t respond, though. He just obediently went in the room with Mingyu, just like Kimbum told him to – and surprisingly, without his work.

 

When Jongin went in the room, Mingyu’s face brightened up slightly upon seeing Jongin’s free hands. “Hyung, you completed your work?” he asked brightly before sighing when Jongin shook his head. I should’ve expected that, anyways, he thought to himself. “Hyung, how do you say 성공 in English?” he asked, even though he knew well just what it was.

“Success. Has your English worsened?” Jongin frowned at his brother’s question. Back when Mingyu first started taking the language, Jongin was there to tutor him since he took English too. He looked at Mingyu who nodded and stopped writing. “Do your work, Mingyu,” he sighed.

 

Mingyu shook his head, and slight disappointment at his brother could be seen. “Hyung is home? What happened to Myungsoo hyung?” he asked Jongin who sat on the bed, watching his brother from behind. Mingyu was able to hear the familiar nagging of his oldest brother to Myungsoo – something that never changed.

 

Jongin merely shrugged – as usual, he doesn’t know what’s going on. Mingyu wanted to ask him if it was possible to have dinner together as brothers later in the evening but he was reluctant to even try asking. He had that little faith in Myungsoo to conclude that he would never want to join in anyways. For the next few minutes, the two brothers remained silent as Mingyu’s thoughts grew louder to cover the constant fight between Kimbum and Myungsoo.

 

“Hyung,” he called out to grab Jongin’s attention. “Can we have dinner together later? All four of us?” he asked with little hope left.

 

Jongin sighed, he knew his answer was going to shatter Mingyu’s hopes again. But he knew he couldn’t lie. “Sorry Mingyu.. I’m meeting Suzy for dinner later.”

 

Mingyu shook his head and smiled bitterly, “Ah, have fun later then.” With that, he got lost in his own thoughts again while staring blankly at his half-done homework. He didn’t even know if he should go out to greet Kimbum outside, stop the fight or let it continue. He wanted to stop it because he knew just how rough it could end up, knowing Myungsoo. Suddenly, his thoughts divert to why Jongin had entered the room again. Whether it was to accompany him, or was it because Kimbum instructed him to. But then again, he knew too well which was the right answer.

 

“Mingyu.. I won’t be coming home tomorrow, okay? And Kimbum hyung texted me yesterday that you and him will go out of the country together,” Jongin mumbled.

 

“What?” Mingyu stared at Jongin in disbelief. “Yes, I know about the travelling thing, but are you kidding me, hyung? That would mean I won’t be seeing you until-” he groaned and slammed his book shut before getting up and leaving the room, utterly upset. He couldn’t take it anymore. All he wanted is for his hyung to find some time for him.

 

But even though Mingyu watches his brother suffer, he still, won’t ever understand.

Words: 2065.

 

Author's Note:
that's it for this chapter. o/ hope you liked it. COMMENT o/
-N.