two.

계층: Hierarchy Matters
chaptertwo.
 

The cold wind slapped Myungsoo in the cheeks, snapping him out of his daze. He sighed and observed his surroundings – the forlorn autumn leaves on the ground just like a replica of him.  He scoffed and thought of how even nature makes a mockery of him. Sumin had called a while back, claiming that she wants to meet him for a moment.  They decided to meet at the Han River, a place they frequently visit ever since middle school.

 

As soon as Myungsoo arrived, Sumin smiled brightly, gesturing him to come over quickly.  He smirked and strolled over, hanging his arm loosely around her shoulders when he reached her side. They stood in comfortable silence for a few minutes, accompanied by the autumn breeze and rustling of leaves.

 

“Have you heard?” Sumin asked casually, breaking the silence. Myungsoo turned to look at her, indicating that he’s listening. She hesitated for a moment before continuing. “There’s been a rumour spreading that someone from Jayone wants to join Jongryu.” she paused, before adding in quickly. “None of us knows who it is though.”

 

She looked at Myungsoo, waiting for his reaction. He started laughing as if he heard the best joke ever.

“Ha! Isn’t that great? At least this guy knows which is the better one.” He managed to blurt out before laughing again. Sumin tilted her head in confusion, lost for words. She was not expecting such a spiteful reaction from him. She opened to lecture Myungsoo but not before he interrupted her.

 

“I heard.. Something happened yesterday. What happened?” she looked at him in a puzzled manner.

 

Myungsoo's Flashback:

 

Myungsoo was strolling to the cafeteria to meet a few of the Jongryu members. However, as he was about to turn around the corner, he heard a familiar raspy voice that he could recognise anywhere.

 

“I said I’m sorry okay? Sorry, but I can’t.” the familiar voice spoke in an agitated tone.

 

“Why? You’ve got a date with Myungsoo again? God knows what your relationship with him even is! You guys aren’t even official!” an unfamiliar deep voice spoke.

 

“Look, you don’t even –“

 

“All I’m asking for is a meal with you, is that really so difficult?”

 

He peeked around the corner slightly to identify the owner of the deep voice before hiding behind the wall again, infuriated.

 

What’s his name again..? E... Eden. Isn’t he from Jayone?

 

“Who does he think he is, asking her out so casually like that?” He mumbled to himself.

No one tries to take her away from me. ESPECIALLY not someone from Jayone.

 

Myungsoo stormed off to a classroom where he knows he can find someone to vent his frustration. As soon as he arrived, he shoved the door open and strode to Taejun.

 

“Park Taejun, you better teach your members to keep their hands to themselves!” He yelled before throwing a fist full of anger at his face. Driven by anger, he threw more punches repeatedly. Startled, Jaehyo and Wonho rushed over, pulling Myungsoo away aggressively.

 

He looked to his left for a split second, feeling Jaehyo’s looser grip on his arm as compared to Wonho. Must be some pretty boy with no strength, he thought to himself.

 

“What the hell is wrong with you?!”Taejun spat, not fully comprehending the situation he was in. Myungsoo shrugged off the grips of Jaehyo and Wonho and stepped back slowly.

 

“If I ever find you or Eden coming up with such bull again, you won’t find yourself in one piece.”  He glared spitefully before yanking the grips and storming off.

 

Myungsoo shook his head and shot her a small smile.

 

“Nothing… It was nothing at all.”

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

“So to find x, I have to find y first and…” Mingyu mumbled to himself, racking his brains on how to solve a challenging maths question.

 

Unlike most boys, Mingyu prefers to keep to himself. He does socialise, he just doesn’t hang out as much as most teenage boys would. He does enjoy entertainment, but he prefers to spend the time on doing more worthwhile things... Like homework.

 

Just as he was about to solve the problem, the phone rang shrilly. Groaning loudly, he went to the living room to answer the call.

 

“Yeoboseyo?” he answered in a monotonous voice.

 

“Mingyu-ah?” Jongin’s voice filled his ears.

 

“Hyung! It’s really you, right?! Hyung!” the sudden change of tone and mood was too evident.

 

“Yes it’s me. How are you? Have you eaten?” he chuckled.

 

“Yeah I ate a while ago. I’m good, when are you coming home, hyung? I miss you!”

 

“About that… Sorry Mingyu-ah, I’m not going home tonight. Don’t wait up for me okay?” He cleared his throat before replying.

 

“Oh… Okay then…”

 

“Also, Kimbum hyung won’t be home tonight either. He’s going on a business trip tonight.”

 

“Of course he is… I figured when I saw a bag on the dining table earlier,” he nodded as if Jongin could see.

 

“Don’t sound so sad, I’ll get you something nice when I can go home, how does that sound?”

 

“Honestly hyung, the best thing you could – “

 

“Ah, sorry Mingyu-ah! I really need to go now, it’s urgent! I’ll call you back when I’m free alright?” Jongin spoke quickly before hanging up.

 

“Of course hyung… Of course.” Mingyu sighs dejectedly to the beeping sound on the other end. Hearing his heart crack in the silent and cold living room, he went back to his room with tears threatening to spill. Was it too much to ask for a brother’s time?

 

Kimbum’s the CEO, shouldn’t he understand how I feel and let Jongin spend more time with me?” he thought before drowning in the sea of numbers again.

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

Downing his fourth cup of black coffee, Jongin blinked a few times before opening a black file. It was an accepted proposal from Vietnam however, he had to go through all the small details and collate information about the materials from designers. After which he would have to calculate the rough cost that the company would have to spend.

 

Right after the call with Mingyu, he had to send one of his colleagues off. Thereafter, the office was quiet as he was the only one left - the only thing filling the silence was the flipping of pages and the sound of swift fingers flying across the keyboard. Honestly, it was driving him insane. Reaching for his fifth cup of coffee, he ran a hand through his hair. He looked as though he hasn’t slept for days with his eye bags drooping and dark eye circles getting obvious – not that he actually did.

 

Subconsciously, he thought to himself, “When will this ever end?

 

Author's Notes:
So this is Chapter 2 and if you actually saw the list of updates
in the front page you would've known that I added a new co-author
{"J"} o/
her identity and aff acc will be unknown for now but, yeah. 
This chapter is mostly written by her. So yeah o/
- N \o/