Les Yeux

The Cursed Case

         We walked through the library, scanning every record we could. This history section is enormous. Countless books sat among the dusted shelves. I’m surprised the city still keeps this building alive. No one is borrowing a book. Children of today don’t even know what books look like. The south side is starting to consume most of the colonial city. Eventually there will be a clear divide between the suffering and the wealth. I stopped by the children’s section though, to pick up Zelo some books to read. If he is now going to be in our care, I believe he can make something out of himself. I will not allow him to waste his life away. I walked down a row, which led me to Chaerin; she also had books for Zelo. I guess Chaerin really likes this kid. I have never seen her so affectionate. The hilarious thing is that she is not even being affectionate, but for her this is.

“Did you find anything?” I asked.

“I found a book about the hospital, but of course it’s an overview. We should check the archives”, she replied.

“No need”, Kris stated entering our aisle. “I found a key to the basement.”

“How did you get a key?” I questioned.

“How else would he get a key to the basement”, Chaerin stated with annoyance.

“Hey I didn’t sleep with her, she only gave me head. For an ugly girl her head game is strong”, Kris smiled.

“Her what is what?” I never understand what Kris is saying. When I get confused by his uneducated slang, he replies with the usual “How do you not know what I’m saying. You grew up in the south side. Slang should be embedded in you”. I worked hard to rid myself of the south side’s ways. I never want to be a part of it.

As we walked downstairs to the basement, the library took the same dramatic change as the hospital. The antique side of the building showed. The room was made of stone, I felt as if I was walking down a chamber in a castle. Nevertheless we walked into cobweb filled room. Sheets covered most of the objects in the room, which obviously were bookshelves. This was the old Brookedale library. As everything else in this city, the newer one was built over the older. For the library it makes sense though, all of these records are important, valuable to our existence. The words that are on these papers contain answers to questions that we overlooked in the past. Chandeliers covered in dusk hung above our heads. Our cell phone lights helped our eyes see through the darken room.

“Let’s split up, it bigger down here than we think. Chanyeol you take newspaper articles, Kris find the history section and I’ll handle people”, Chaerin stated.

“History is so boring”, Kris sighed.

“Fine I’ll take history, you handle people. You probably don’t even know who the first British king was”, Chaerin stated walking away. She left Kris dumbfounded. I didn’t even know who the first king was, so I definitely knew he didn’t know.

       As I looked through stacks of newspapers, the image of the rotten man kept entering my mind. Did he follow me from the morgue? I need to get a grip. There is no way that this man is real. The dead cannot speak. This is reality, not unreality. I’m living reality, I’m real. Ok, I sound like I’m convincing myself, but I know what I saw. Not only did I see him, but he spoke to me, warning me. He mentioned my father’s death, he must be real. A sensation of chills drew from my body. There it was, that feeling of eyes watching me. I was in a dark room, a little introvert from the rest of the lost library. I only had my cell phone light, other than that I was the darkness’ pawn. “Chanyeol”, a voice whispered. He’s back. Why is he back? “Chanyeol”, the voiced growled. It felt as if he were angry with me. I shined my light around, but nothing was there. I kept looking for the source, but nothing was in sight. Pull yourself together.

       I then began going through delicate news articles. Some dates back to the late 1800’s. I found one that was interesting. An article called “Brookdale Hospital Secret Wall”. It wasn’t the headline of the paper; actually it was a very brief section. To summarize it, there seemed to be a wall the people would disappear behind. After I found that article, I found another one dated in 1925. “Haunted Hall at Brookdale”. This article described how nurses were quitting after they kept hearing noises coming from the basement. Many of them would see people walking around the building looking traumatized. The hospital issued the events as pranks. Prank my . Those traumatized people were the patients, of the insane ward. “Chanyeol”, the voice whispered again. “Chanyeol, they’re here. They’re watching you right now”, the voice whispered. Before I had the chance to question it, I notice three sets of white eyes staring me down. They began snickering through the darkness.

“Kill him”, a feminine voice spoke.

I started running away from them with the articles I found glued to my hands. Fear stricken my entire body, who were these people and how long have they been following me. As I ran, I called Chaerin’s and Kris’s name. What if they killed them before they got to me?

“Chanyeol” a voice called. With fear I turned to it. Relief took over my body when I saw Chaerin standing before me. “What’s wrong?”

“The people are here. I don’t know how, but they followed us down here.”

“The three people you mentioned before?”

“Yes. They’re here”, I shouted.

I couldn’t examine Chaerin’s face because her sunglasses. I hoped she was concerned as I was. I know I saw three people; I specifically heard one of them speak. “Ok we’ll find Kris and then find them. You look shaken up, so I’ll go get him. Stay here”, Chaerin stated.

I guess I am quite scared. Maybe I should relax a little. I’m supposed to be a detective I should be able to handle this. “Chanyeol, oh Chanyeol”, the voice whispered again. “What?” I shouted. I’m not letting this voice take over my mind.

“Will you shut up”, Kris stated walking towards me.

“Chaerin, she went to look for you. The people I told you about are here.”

“I didn’t see anyone.”

“Neither did I, but Chanyeol told me they were down here”, Chaerin spoke walking into our cellphone’s light.

“They’re down here. They tried to kill me”, I stated.

“Now that we are all accounted for we should, go look for these people”, Chaerin stated.

“Or we should just kill them”, Kris spoke.

“No, we’re not going to kill them and they’re not going to kill us. They need us remember. Without us they will not be able to find Sandara Park’s hidden documents”, Chaerin stated.

 

M

 

We pulled ourselves back to Chaerin’s firm. It was past midnight. Each of hasn’t sleept in two days. The case was to blame. Once we discovered Sandara is connected to our parents, our souls pulled our bodies into this case. We would only stop until we answer the questions, which seem impossible at this point. This case leads to shallow and empty tunnel, buried underground where man cannot discover it. We sat in the dining room. Chaerin stared at countless pages of the Brookdale residents until the 1940’s. Of course she only examined the year prior. Kris did more research on his Mac laptop. I had the articles in front of me, but my attention wasn’t on them. Who were these people? What do they have to gain from this? Do they even know of our parents’ death? This thing that pissed me off the most is we don’t know their identities.

“I found something!” Kris shouted. Mine and Chaerin’s attention gravitated towards Kris. “A reporter named Baekhyun Byun, looked into the Brookdale Hospital a year ago. He concluded that something secret was down there and is connected to various cover ups throughout the government. He says that it was a special project, conducted by the government, but something went array. The Hospital closed this section. Baekhyun was later fired for publishing this article and has been blacklisted from newspapers.”

Baekhyun. Why did that name sound familiar to me? Baekhyun, Baekhyun. I know him. “Didn’t Baekhyun graduate with you?” Chaerin questioned. That’s how I know him. He was in charge of our school newspaper. That’s the only thing I knew about him. We barely passed ways. Many other students told me he was my other half, but I never looked into him.

“He made good of himself. He wrote for MBC for a while. He was looking into CNN before he looked into this”, Kris stated.

“But why was he blacklisted for looking into this?” Chaerin questioned.

“Apparently the government was involved. He knew too much”, Kris stated.

“No. If he knew too much they would have wiped him away from existence”, Chaerin replied. She was right. The government will turn a person into a lifeless soul if someone were to know too much. Whoever blacklisted Baekhyun knew something and is trying to keep it hidden.

“The bigger questions is, what does this Mr. Byun know about your parents”, Xiumin stated bringing in hot tea.

This Xiumin comes in at the rights times. It’s creepy.

“You’re right. He must know about our parents or at least-

“Sandara Park”, Kris stated interrupting Chaerin. “Baekhyun is apparently still reporting. He wrote an article on Sandara Park’s murder.”

“How, if he’s blacklisted?” I questioned.

“You can’t be blacklisted if you live in Brookdale”, Kris stated. Brookdale is the most dangerous city in the world. Jobs are scarce here. This city has constantly filed for bankruptcy multiple times. Just as other government jobs, seeing a reporter is like finding Bigfoot.

“When did he move back?” I questioned. I knew Baekhyun’s family was rich, and I know he moved to England to study at Oxford, but what made him want to question Brookdale Hospital if he lived in England. The more leads we find to this case, the more we are led in an entirely new direction.

“If he’s still in town, you should find him”, Xiumin smiled. I wasn’t creep out by him before, but a feeling has consumed me. Something peculiar surrounded this Xiumin character. I couldn’t put my finger on it, but he knows something.

“Let’s go?” Kris stated.

“Right now?” Xiumin questioned.

“Why not, we need to finish this case. As of right now he is our major lead”, Chaerin stated.

“How are we going to find him?” I asked, at the same time the doorbell rang. Xiumin creepily walked out of the room to attend to the door. “Are you expecting company?” I questioned.

“Probably teens playing pranks. They do it often”, Chaerin replied. Funny, I didn’t think brats still ding-dong-ditch.

“We’ll start with his job. He could be there working late night”, Kris sated.

“I think we should wait until the morning. He wouldn’t be out this late in Brookdale”, I replied.

“Ms. Chaerin, you have a guess”, Xiumin said entering the dining room.

“Who?” Chaerin pondered.

“Mr. Baekhyun Byun”, Ximun stated as Baekhyun walked into the dining room.


Heyyyy beautiful people! Thanks are in order for my new subscribers and viewers! Hope you guys are enjoying :)

Do you guys think Chanyeol is stressed or is he perfectly fine? Tell me whay you guys think. Also we have a new character Byun Baekhyun...

P.S: From this chapter and on the story is going to get complex, so pay close attention! See you guys next update!