Interlude (Something In Between)

A Year Full of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

"We can't be together."

His heart aches as the inevitable truth slides up his throat and goes out from his mouth. Something clenches his heart painfully, as he tries hard to hold on to the hot tears that keeps on begging to be released from his burning eyes. His slight downcast eyes looks up to the source of his misery and sorrow; a thin, young woman with shoulder length hair and doe-like eyes. Her orbs, too, are warm and watery, water droplets dangerously close to falling.

They're both trying their best to supress their feelings, even when both doesn't want to. But this is for the best, both consciences remind. To fight their feelings is the only option they have at the moment.

"I know."

With a soft voice that ends with a whisper, she replies. There is an unexplainable feeling in her heart, something indescribable. Her mind aches along with her soul, playing little flashbacks of their short time together. The warm sunny day in that park just outside that cafe, the drizzle in that playground, and their time under the starry, midnight blue sky, with the moon shining dimly just above their heads. He made her forget the pain of a break up, yet he is also the one who makes her remember. Such irony.

They are the most pitiful couple that has ever existed. Two beings, who loves and is loved back, who is forbidden to be together, decided by cruel fate. Be it circumstances, society, class, to the most cruel factor--blood.

"But I don't regret every single day spent with you."

"I know."

Love is weird, they conclude. They come at the most unexpected moment, in the form of an unexpected person, and when you're finally accustomed to it, embracing it, something twists in a horrid way. A lot says that they're tests to prove two being's love, some harder than others. They say love beats all, but they have to disagree. Their 'test' is something they can't conquer, it's something that love can't. As much as their hearts scream, beg and plea for it to be right, their relationship will always be wrong, no matter how much time passes by.

"I'm sorry that we have to end this way."

His words are nothing but truthful. Every word is spoken with sincerity, a medium to show his current feelings. She knows that he is feeling the same as what she's feeling.

Both are feeling anything but happiness and joy.

"But I'm not sorry for loving you this way. Not even once."

With that, tears escape from her tear-brimmed, brown eyes. 

"Me too," she answers, her soft voice cracking in the end, as he walks a little closer to press his lips against her forehead. He closes his eyes, nose inhaling the jasmine scent of her hair. They stay that way for a while, in each other's embraces, sharing what they could call their last moment together.

It is the woman that breaks free from the hug, hands swift enough to wipe her moist cheeks dry. Trying her best to be cold, in an attempt to hide her feelings that are about to burst, she rushes away, leaving the man alone in the lonely park. Even without saying goodbye.

 

 

With that, the cameras are turned off and loud cheers are heard from the background, as people are chanting 'Nice work!'.

 

"Hey, it looks like they're shooting a drama there! Let's go watch!" A bubbly young woman with twinkling eyes suggests to her boyfriend, slightly tugging onto their linked arms towards the crowd forming a vast circle around a part of the park. 

"No way!" The boyfriend, several shopping bags in his other hand, refuses. "Just watch it on TV."

"But I want to! I think it's my favorite drama." The young woman pouts, briefly mentioning her favorite nighttime drama that he deems as 'cheesy and cliche'. Her puppy dog eyes could melt anyone, but they've been together long enough for the boyfriend to be able to resist her cute antics.

"Nope. We've just spent nearly two hours inside the shops."

"Fine then, you're not getting anything tonight." With a harrumph, the young woman starts trotting her way away from her boyfriend, unlinking their hands as her hands are now folded against her chest, th

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter