Autumn

A Year Full of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“Snow falls, love falls, it falls whitely.”

 

He couldn’t remember the last time he heard that song. The sweet, cheerful Christmas love song that was released five years ago. The song that was so sweet, it almost sickened the present him, although his self five years ago would surely love it—of course he would, he was the song’s composer after all.

Feeling no more shampoo on top of his head and no more of the slippery sensation of his mint body wash against his skin, he turned the shower off and pulled off a white towel hanging on the handle of the door of his frosted glass shower panel, covering his lower torso.

He then walked towards the large countertop; it was made up of marble and was installed from one end of one of his bathroom walls to another. He turned his player off, thinking that he hadn’t expected for that song to pop up when he pressed the shuffle button of his iPhone before he showered. He hadn’t listened to the song for years, the song that brought back bittersweet memories.

He looked at his reflection at the mirror and from there; he could see the condition of his bathroom. It was clean, as usual, and despite it being spacious, he kept his bathroom minimalist. His bathroom consisted of a shower and its glass cubicle, an expensive looking bathtub, a toilet and two sinks. Black marble was used as flooring, while tiles of white ones served as the walls.

 

He hadn’t had the luxury to live at such lavish house six years ago, when he was at his 2nd year of his career in the music industry. He had to live at a cramped apartment with his manager, with no elevator and spacious rooms. Heck, even his bathroom is twice the size of his old bedroom! He used to struggle, as the company he’s signed to was a small one, but he was fine by it. His younger self only cared about producing his own music, his only concern was for people to be able to hear his voice. So he was happy, happier than his older self; his self now.

Who wouldn’t be? Albeit him not being a rich musician, his best friends were there throughout the roughest times, parents who supported him all the way from his hometown, a company that tried their best to lift his name up. But, that too, isn’t that perfect with a special someone who stayed by his side, right?

It was a long story of how he first set eyes on her, and of how he has fallen for her, but it was at one spring day some time before his debut seven years ago. She had the prettiest pair of brown eyes he’d ever seen—that’d be a lie if he denied that (even until now) and her jasmine scent drove him crazy. It would be an obvious and understandable fact that he was smitten at first sight. She, too, was going to be a rookie just like him, only in the acting department.

They were happy, spending their days wandering around everywhere, nights laughing while occasionally taking sips from their cheap soju bottles. She’d lie down on her stomach on his bed, with a hand propping her chin as she watched his serious side composing songs with his guitar. He’d help her rehearse lines for every acting role she’s going to audition, with those lessons ending in subtle skinship and light-hearted laughter.

She was casted by one of the largest entertainment companies, and although he debuted first, she’s the first one to receive an immense amount of attention. But he wasn’t bothered by it; rather he was proud that she’s doing well in her career.

The only thing he regretted was that, he had never asked her to be his, officially. They were one of those almost-couples, a relationship that is, in his opinion, too bad of a waste. Two people with pleasant, mutual feelings, who aren’t fortunate enough to experience what love is with the other person. A relationship where only blurred lines exist; blurred lines between a flirtatious friendship and a confirmed relationship.

Their blurred relationship, though, wasn’t always on the good side. She had earned her first leading role, while he’s still struggling on the music charts. She had earned her first paycheck while him on the other hand, was still waiting for his. For a rookie soloist under a small company, his debut was okay, but not enough.

It’s about time for him to feel insecurity when suitors started chasing over her, like puppies. They’d shower her with extravagant gifts, and although she’d reject all of them, it still hurt his pride. Upon seeing the branded goods mailed to her address, he felt mad. Not all because of the pest-y suitors, but more to himself. He wanted to do better for her, that’s all.

Eventually, the number of suitors she had died down, leaving only one especially persistent suitor. She’d taken more acting roles, while he worked harder. He thought it’d be okay soon, and he’d give her the most beautiful confession she could ever imagine.

But that confession never happened.

There was one point when he had finally broken down, a day during his 21st autumn. At that point, his eyes were blinded with inferiority, his heart burned down by insecurity and jealousy. He was at his career’s downfall, when his mini album received cold responses.

He had shouted many things to her, but the one he regretted the most was, ‘You just go to that Lee guy!’ which was ironic, since he’s also a Lee. She, who had been in silence throughout his breakdown, showed signs that she’s had enough, grabbed her coat and stormed out of his cramped apartment.

His

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter