Spring

A Year Full of Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“So where’s the lucky girl?”

It was the sixth time had he gotten such type of question, all similar and dreadfully annoying. And the worse part was that he was just 30 minutes into the reception.

He would turn another year older in a few months, another year in which the elders thought, as quoted: ‘wasted for not finding a proper girl’.

‘You’re next’. ‘When’s the wedding?’ ‘Where’s the bride-to-be?’

Apparently his relatives, especially the elder ones, mind others’ business way too much for his taste, and he always felt like nudging them back, asking: ‘You’re next. When’s the funeral? Where’s your casket?’, but surely his mother would detest that, give him a smack on the back of his head and pressure him more into getting a girlfriend.

It was obvious that he disliked going to weddings, at least ones where a lot of his relatives were present. Though he really couldn’t help it when he received an overly pink invitation from a close cousin of his.

After an assurance from the soon-to-be groom that the food would be fantastic, he took a train back to his hometown, bear teases and meddling questions from relatives or whoever claimed to know him ‘since he was on his diapers’. And it was more obvious that he detested nosey people more, acting like they knew him so well.

What’s the wrong with being a single aspiring fashion designer in his early 20’s? He thought. He remembered the elders’ reactions—be it his parents, teachers, and even the ahjumma next door, when he decided to design for a living back in high school. They started bringing him to engineering exhibitions, sport matches, construction sites, basically anything to convert him from his interest they deemed as ‘girly and unmanly’.

But he was determined. He entered a design contest for amateurs in Seoul with only his three best friends knowing. Although he didn’t win, a representative of a renowned design academy offered him a scholarship; marking a start for his new life. He moved out of his hometown when he was 20 years old to a dormitory near his new university, leaving everything behind. But the noseys—that was what his friends call the intrusive group of people not having better things to do, were as determined as him, it seemed.

They tricked him in various ways, the most common one was having a scheme of a simple meet-up, when the real deal was that they’re trying to set him up with ‘some random girl’—that was what one of his friends had said. He fell for it the first few times, but eventually he dodged the meetings and didn’t pick up their phone calls, with his friends providing the perfect alibies. Sure, they were all pretty, but it seemed that the noseys misunderstood.

He’s not a homoual, for goodness’s sake. Just because he took interest in fashion and beauty more than an average man should, didn’t mean he wasn’t interested in girls. Sure, their concern was pretty reasonable; which healthy man in his 20’s isn’t interested in women? But they didn’t need to be so into it, right? He wonders. He suddenly hated the society for stereotyping male designers in the first place. Should he just make out with a random guest that evening as well?

His job being the right-hand man for a grumpy, nagging designer was stressful as heck, and it was troublesome enough to be the sane and rational dude of his group of four, let alone have a lover whom he had to treat with much care.

But he did try to see this wedding under a bright light. The wedding was held outdoors, in a vast garden under a huge white tent. Fresh flowers surrounded the venue, and every table was decorated with a glass vase of white lilies and purple lavenders, the tablecloths were of lace. Though, what he enjoyed most was the fresh, dustless air of his hometown. It was spring, so the breeze wasn’t too harsh or too calm. Fitting for his taste, instead of the stuffy air of metropolitan Seoul.

He brushed a hand through his freshly cut hair and sighed. His sister practically dragged him to a barber two hours ago, and he almost cried at the result of their work. His hair was now a short ordinary cut with a short fringe. Never had he missed his silky long hair that much. At least she still let him keep the hazelnut dye.

***

A pat on the shoulder burst the bubble of thought he had for a while. “What are you doing here?” A tall, well built man donned in a crisp black suit and slicked-back hair asked.

“What are you doing here?” he asked back, “Shouldn’t the groom stay beside the bride?” He pointed to a gorgeous woman in a simple white satin dress, her wavy hair adorned with a veil on top blown by the slight breeze as she laughed along with a group of friends.

“Girl talk; no men allowed,” the groom replied, rolling his eyes. “Probably talking about the wedding night and stuff,” he then predicted as he caught in the words ‘lingerie’ and ‘seduce’ before leaving the group of women.

The other man laughed, and the groom uttered another question. “Shouldn’t you be socializing with our family, o’ lone ranger? I saved you a seat, didn’t I?”

As soon as he greeted every elder he met; obligatory by his mother, he seek refuge in a tree just beside the desert station, secluded from the three tables occupied by the groom’s relatives.

The one being asked scoffed. “And listening more lectures about a filial wife who cooks three Korean meals a day? No thanks. And your wedding didn’t do any better, hyung,” he replied with a hint of sass.

The groom chuckled. “Haven’t you told them that you’re straight?” he suggested the obvious.

“Been there, done that. They just won't believe.”

But before the groom could answer, his new wife called out his name. He then excused himself, before telling his younger cousin to ‘have more fun’.

He stood up straight from his previous leaning position, putting his empty glass of champagne on a waiter’s silver tray before walking towards the desert station. One last slice of that scrumptious tiramisu and he’s out.

***

Five minutes and a generous slice of tiramisu later, he wiped the corners of his mouth clean, getting ready to go take the first cab and fetch the next train back to Seoul.

But, no, he actually stayed longe

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter