Chapter 6

Tears – A Monday Couple Fan fiction

The night wore on late. Shopkeepers had already started to close up for the night. The streets became quieter with the gentle whistle of the cold breeze. Winter was upon us and the night was dark. Streetlamps provided some illumination to the blackness paving a way for those strong enough to brave the cold weather outside. Yet, laughter and cheers could be heard outside Haha’s restaurant. It was past closing time but that didn’t stop the Runningman family from having a great night finally catching up with their beloved ace after so long. Even Jong Kook, one who religiously avoided alcohol at all expense was game enough to have a few drinks in celebration.

They exchanged jokes and stories about what they were up to recently in Jihyo’s absence. Kwangsoo just finished telling a story about how he met his high school crush and her niece asked him if he spent a fortune on sunblock since he was so close to the sun. Everyone barreled over at Kwangsoo’s expense. Jihyo really missed her brothers. Even though she was extremely happy at home with Chang-joo, she hadn’t laughed so hard outside of filming Runningman in a long time.

Sukjin was the first to break the ice and asked her how things were at home. 3 pairs of eyes inadvertently shot to Gary in concern. If he had any reaction to the question he masked it well. He was sitting down nursing his drink, all the while smiling at Jihyo. Haha smiled as he observed his hyung. “This hyung is daebak. I wouldn’t know how to act in his situation. I must remember never to play poker with him.”

“Things are really good at home. Everything is very stable. I’m happy to report that my boss and lover treats me with utmost care and affection,” she beamed, unaware of the wince Gary face revealed as she mentioned the word ‘lover’.

“He is a true gentleman and gives me more than I could ever wish for. So Jong Kook oppa and Gary oppa, you won’t need to go and beat him up. Well not yet anyway hahahaha.” Everyone chortled to the last remark with the exception of Kwangsoo.

“Wae noona. Why’d you only mention Jong Kook hyung and Gary hyung. I would protect you too. I would teach whoever messes with you a thing or two”, the giraffe exclaimed.

“Yah, you wouldn’t teach a lesson to a 7 year old kid. Be still and keep quiet” Haha snapped back at him. Kwangsoo was dumbfounded at Haha’s response, and sat with his trademark pitiful expression whilst everyone burst out laughing once more.

Jihyo continued to regale stories of Baek Chang-joo’s affection for her. How he would always wake up early to prepare her breakfast, no matter what time her schedule was. How he would occasionally sneak into her set and watch her act. She told her story with pride and fondness, typifying a truly happy woman in love. Gary listened on intently, his expression stoic yet not cold nor scowling.

Jaesuk quietly watched on, eyes darting between Jihyo and Gary. He knew this was no easy task for Gary to endure, listening to the woman he loves speaking lovingly about another man. His emotions betrayed him. On one side he was genuinely happy that his dongsaeng, of which he had a soft spot in his heart for, was finally with a man that she really deserved, yet he could not help but feel sympathetic for Gary’s plight. He was also a dongsaeng Jaesuk truly cared about, and a man worthy of a good woman beside him. Yoo Jae Suk, the nation’s MC, a public figure that almost everyone in Korea loved and respected, found himself in a situation that he felt completely and utterly helpless.

Meanwhile Jihyo was in the middle of sharing her story of her last birthday past. She was set to film in Jeju Island, a beach scene under the warm sun. She loved the beach. Although we often see Jihyo slumbering anywhere she can put her head down during the filming of Runningman, she was in actuality an outdoorsy person. The sound of the waves and the feeling of sand under her feet made her feel relaxed and happy.

“We had just gotten to the set and started filming a segment where I was walking along the beach. There was a crowd gathered nearby, and I presumed that they were fans who found out about the location. They were all chanting my name and the PD suggested I greet them and do a quick signing session in order to calm them down. As I signed for each fan, they all had the same response: ‘Song Ji Hyo Shi, Chukahamida. Saranghaeyo’. I thought it so sweet that these fans knew that it was my birthday and touched that they would come here and greet me. Then someone came up behind me and asked me for an autograph as well. As I turned I instantly recognized him. It was Chang-joo oppa standing there with a big grin, holding two dozen roses. I realized everyone around me was kneeling holding out a rose and cheering for us. Unnie came out from behind the cameras with a big birthday cake as they all started to sing. It was so touching, I couldn’t believe it. He had orchestrated this whole shoot as a surprise for me.”

Tears of joy were slowly forming in Jihyo’s eyes as she told her story. Kwangsoo broke the brief silence first, saying “Wahhh noona, you are so lucky. He really cares so much about you.”

Haha was nodding and agreed. “Yaa, Jihyo-ah, Jjinja, that really is daebak.” Everyone muttered their agreements and started clapping.

“Yah yah, arrasso. Enough with the stories of him. Thank god our wives aren’t here or they may leave us for him.” Sukjin cut in all of a sudden. This brought the laughter back to the group.

“Ok here’s a toast to Jihyo noona and her happiness! Gun Bae!” Kwangsoo exclaimed.

“Here, here! Gun Bae” everyone screamed as they drank.

 

                                                ************************

 

The night continued for a little while longer, the sounds of laughter and glasses clanking still echoed through the silent streets. The food was all gone by this stage and the table was littered with empty alcohol bottles. It was already past midnight as Jihyo checked her watch.

“Ok everyone. I would like to say something,” Jihyo exclaimed as she stood up, faltering a little.

“Yah kenchana? Did you drink too much Jihyo-ah? Chang-joo ssi will never forgive us if you came home drunk when you have a shoot early tomorrow.” Jaesuk said, noticing the wobble in her step.

“Kenchana oppa. I didn’t drink that much tonight, and you know my tolerance is much better than yours anyway,” she teased back at his expense. Turning to face everyone again, she continued, “No what I want to say is that I am very sorry to everyone that I have neglected my family. I really miss you guys and tonight reminded me how much fun I have with you all and how much you all mean to me.” She gave a 90 degree bow to her brothers.

“Yah yah yah, we know that Jihyo-ah. We all love you too and we only tease you about this. Don’t misunderstand us,” Jaesuk replied.

“That’s right Jihyo-ah. Don’t misunderstand us. You are always welcome to our gatherings and Kwangsoo just drinks double on your behalf when you can’t make it,” added Haha, bringing a big smile and a laugh to Jihyo.

“Kenchana Jihyo-ah. We understand. Love is the most important thing for human beings. I know, since I am the love specialist right?” Gary added suddenly. Though it was the first direct thing he said to Jihyo all night, everyone cracked up to his remark. “Kenchana, jjinja. If I was together with the woman I love, I would try to spend as much time as I could with her as well. We all understand. Sukjin hyung and Jaesuk hyung generally leave earlier to go back to their families anyway. And Haha would too if we didn’t eat at his restaurant.” Everyone cracked up again.

“Gomawo Gary oppa. Thanks to all of you. I will make sure that from now on, I find more time to come out with you all. Sarangheyo!” They all came together for a group hug as she said that, bringing a conclusion to the gathering.

 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Hi Everyone,

Been trying to update this as much as I can. Please feel free to comment, upvote, subscribe or even send me a message if you would like to give your feedback. Hope you guys are enjoying it so far and will try to post at least one more chapter this week.

Thanks everyone & have a great upcoming weekend.

~C