Chapter 3

Tears – A Monday Couple Fan fiction

Gary inhaled deeply from his cigarette as he sat on the bench at the back of the building. He relished these moments, being away from the prying eyes and questions from the other members, but also away from the heart-wrenching looks and smiles from his ‘Monday Girlfriend’. He was aware of his company’s rule about not smoking publicly but he figured it was still too early for anyone to notice.

He was the first member on set and he had already done his preparations for the shoot. Earlier, he snuck into Ji Hyo’s prep room when her stylist and makeup artist stepped out to make a drink, and placed the Americano that he bought for her on the way into the shoot on the table. Since it was still very early, he figured Ji Hyo wouldn’t be in so soon. Afraid the coffee would get cold, he took out a clean face towel and pulled out the two hot packs he had in his pockets. He neatly wrapped the coffee with the towel and tucked the hotpacks in between the rolls. Quickly as to not be noticed, he snuck back out and walked out towards back exit.

It was Monday and Gary knew all too well what that entailed; a day with a smorgasbord of emotions. Most people generally hated Mondays. It is the start of the week, start of work, start of school, and Gary was no exception. In so many ways he dreaded Mondays. He never had a lot of free time on Mondays and early starts means he could not party or drink on Sundays. It was also the day in which he his mask appeared. He needed be happy on camera, carefree and smiling. He needed to be his regular self, yet he wasn’t. Although he loved the show and loved his fellow brothers, every Monday his heart burned like the coals in a furnace. Mondays meant that he had to act like her boyfriend, something his heart ached and longed for, but something he knew would most be impossible. He loved being near her, acting like her boyfriend, yet hated it when the slate claps at the end of the day. To him, Mondays epitomized the love-hate relationship.

He sat back as he finished his cigarette and drank deeply from his coffee. It was a cold day, the wind harshly blowing on his face causing him to squint his eyes. He stared out blankly towards the trees, thoughts and emotions bouncing through his head. So engrossed in his quiet contemplation he didn’t hear the soft footsteps approaching him from behind. He almost jumped out of his skin when he felt a hand on his shoulder.

“Oppa, anneyongheseyo!”

Gary half turned, half jumped off the bench as he saw Jihyo smiling there. He could not mask his shock and embarrassment as he greeted her.

“Ohhh, Jihyo it’s you. You scared me for a moment. I didn’t think any of the members were here yet.”

Jihyo burst out laughing at Gary’s reaction. “ㅋㅋㅋㅋ.. sorry oppa. Didn’t mean to scare you. Seems like I interrupted you thinking about something. Anything you want to share with your Monday girlfriend?”

Gary looked at her for a moment. She was wearing a black overcoat, black leggings, tan knee-high boots and a pink scarf. He often wondered how she can make the color black appear so lively and radiant; she truly looked beautiful. How he wished that he could pour out his heart and tell her how he really felt, how much pain he was fighting everyday, but that wouldn’t be fair. It wouldn’t be him to do something so selfish to a woman, moreover to the woman of his dreams.

“Ani. Just enjoying to breeze and getting prepared for the shoot.” He tried to avoid answering her question as best as he could. He feared making his friendship awkward and running the risk of loosing her altogether. He had already lost too much.

“Yah, don’t lie! You came out here for a smoke didn’t you. Why do you still do that! I’ve told you so many times to stop, you know I don’t like it when you smoke.”

Gary scoffed at that last comment in his head. “I stopped smoking for 9 months and that still didn’t bring us any closer. I would stop eating altogether if that made you happy, yet you wouldn’t even realize it.” He shook his head with a sigh as his last thought rammed a sharp edge into his heart.

“Jihyo-ah, don’t be like that. It’s too cold and early to have a morning spat with my Monday girlfriend.” He turned and looked far into the distance, a slight smirk visable on his face.

Jihyo smiled at his response. Although she only had friendship to offer Gary, he was always sweet, kind and an absolute gentleman to her. “I think these belong to you, right oppa?” She held up two hot packs. Smiling, she gave him a hug from behind and placed a hot pack in each jacket pocket. “Gomawo oppa. It was exactly what I needed. Why do you know exactly what I need when I need it?”

Gary couldn’t help but blush when she hugged him. Still looking away to avoid her seeing his reddened cheeks he said while smiling, “It’s Monday isn’t it?”

She smiled as they both leaned on the railing, looking out silently over the garden.