Chapter 14

Tears – A Monday Couple Fan fiction

 

The door snapped shut with a thud. He was alone again. He wanted desperately to let go and let her live her life happily yet his heart yearned and screamed at him to be around her. Gary sighed as he watched Jihyo close the gate to the place she calls home. Baek Chang-joo’s mansion was a place of great envy. A luxurious residence that, no doubt, would boast many riches and jewels within. But Gary only had eyes for one such jewel. The jewel of his heart, the jewel that was Song Jihyo. He sighed and started his car, the roar of the engine bringing back all too familiar memories. He lost track of the countless times he had dropped her off in front of this house, spending the whole evening drinking and laughing with her, only to drive home alone while she went to the arms of another man. Pain stabbed sharply in his chest as he wound down the car windows, the cold wind racing in doing nothing to dowse the flames in his heart.

“I’m sorry Eomma. I have failed you… I have failed myself. All my life, I have lived by your teachings and advice, fighting to succeed and achieve my goals, but this is one fight that I must surrender,” Gary mumbled to himself sadly. He took out a cigarette and lit it, inhaling deeply in an effort to dull his senses.

“I’m sorry Jihyo, that I am not brave enough to confess to you. You are already with the person you deserve. I won’t ruin that for you. Even if I have to live my life without you beside me, it’s better than living my life without you at all.”

Gary his radio and drowned his thoughts with music. The drive home was long and lonely.

 

                                                ************************

 

Gary threw his keys on the desk, his frown ever-present. He glanced at the clock and cursed that it was so late. His schedule the next day started at 6, he only had a few hours to rest. He took a hot shower and tried to clear his thoughts.

“Eomma you are right, but I was not brave enough. I will listen to you from now on.”

He got into bed after the shower and set his alarm for 5am. He grabbed his phone and was about to check his twitter feed when he realized he received a message earlier without noticing. His eyes widened as he read the words on his screen. He flopped on the bed and stared at the ceiling. “Eotokke!” Sleep did not come easily to Kang Gary that night.

 

                                                ************************

 

The waitress brought in a cup of caramel macchiato. It was the fifth cup he had that day. Gary sat nervously in the private room of his restaurant. He didn’t have much sleep the night before, plagued by the message from Baek Chang-joo. Although he did meet with Chang-joo many times in the past, this was the first he had ever met him one on one outside of work. Their relationship was one of mutual respect. Gary not only respected his hyung as a businessman, but also as an adversary to the heart of the woman he loved.

Chang-joo had a solid relationship with all the Runningman members. He had often come with Jihyo to the gatherings and would always be present during award ceremonies or big strategy meetings with the production directors of Runningman. He treated all the members as friends, yet was not close enough to be regarded as part of the Runningman family.

Gary knew that this was not a purely social call, nor was it regarding work. He waited nervously for the upcoming meet.

“What does Chang-joo hyung want to talk about? Did Jihyo tell him something? We have been very close lately, is he jealous and wants me to leave her alone?”

He replied to the text earlier that morning, agreeing to meet him at 4:30pm at his restaurant. He needed somewhere private, ensuring he wouldn’t be interrupted and news of this meet wouldn’t leak out to the public, especially to Jihyo. He drained his coffee while finishing another cigarette. If anyone were watching, it would have been blatantly obvious that he was a nervous wreck. His legs did not stop moving and it was the fifth cigarette he had finished since sitting down. Gary glanced at his watch, 4:25pm. He sighed and tried to mentally prepare himself for what was to come.

A knock on the door brought him out of his stupor. The waitress poked her head into the room and announced to Gary that his guest had arrived. Gary instructed her to let him in. He rose up from the table and straightened his jacket.

“Hyungnim, anneyongheseyo.” Gary bowed politely to the older gentleman as he made his way to the table.

“Ohh, anneyong, Gary-ah. Please, there’s no need to be so formal. Come come, let’s have a seat. Please be comfortable,” Chang-joo replied.

“Comfortable? I wish!” Gary thought to himself as he sat down.

“Hyung, have you been well? We haven’t had the chance to meet since before Runningman went to Macau. Jihyo says you have been really busy these days,” Gary asked, making small talk before the big issues came to play.

“I have been well. Work has been hectic these days. We are trying to scout a few more talents from America and a few rising stars here in Korea. How are things with you?”

“Things are ok I guess. Runningman schedule is back to full force and we have a few concerts that we are planning with Leessang,” Gary replied politely.

“That’s good. When people are still young, they should work harder so they can enjoy more when they get older.”

Gary smiled and let out a light chortle.

“Anyway,” Chang-joo continued. “I’m sure you are a little curious to why I have called you to meet me today.”

Gary looked down immediately. Chang-joo didn’t seem to waste any time and Gary’s nerves were now bursting. “Nae hyung. To be honest, I was really surprised to see your message. Is there something you need me to help you with?”

Chang-joo paused and looked directly at Gary. He didn’t say anything for a while and that just added to Gary’s nervousness. “Gary-ah, we’re not kids in a playground. Let’s just be honest to each other. I’m not an older boy at school who is trying to take lunch money from his dongsaeng.”

“Nae hyung, please tell me what I can do,” Gary replied, still trying to avoid eye contact. His heart was ready to explode. “Eotokke! What did I do? Did Jihyo tell him something? Maybe he saw the keychain she bought me. What should I say if he asks me?” Gary subconsciously put his hand in his pocket to ensure his car keys with the keychain from Jihyo attached didn’t drop out.

“Gary-ah, we have gotten closer due to Jihyo and Runningman. Though I admired you before as an artist and musician, I now see that you are an honorable man. I want to make sure our friendship stays strong and for that to happen I need to ask you a few questions and I want us to be honest with each other. Can you do that?”

“Nae hyung, I can. I also value our friendship and truly respect you hyung.” Gary bowed again.

“First thing, please stop bowing to me. We should be comfortable with each other. It makes me feel as though I am intimidating you. Please be comfortable with me.” Gary laughed and nodded.

“Gary-ah, I know that Jihyo is very close to you, and I also know that she has been spending a lot more time not only with the Runningman family but also with you. Now don’t misunderstand. I am not coming here to give you a beating like a jealous buffoon. I know you all are like family to Jihyo and only a fool would go against that. I just want to ask you a few questions about her and have a quick chat.”

Gary nodded. “Please continue hyung.”

“Has Jihyo been the same during recent shoots?”

“Nae hyung, she’s as active as ever. She will fall asleep whenever the cameras are off but that is usual.”

Chang-joo smiled. “Does she talk to you guys about our relationship when I’m not there?”

“She does, but she has nothing but praises for you hyung. Jihyo has always been a happy, bright person ever since I have known her. But ever since you have been together, she is even more radiant and happy. She’s always smiling and the members can’t be more delighted for the two of you. As you said, we are family, hyung. And it’s only natural that we would look out for her. She is like a sister to us all.”

“Of course. I understand completely and nothing would please me more than to see that her support system continues even though we are in a relationship. I am just scared that the members don’t approve of me especially with the recent problems we are having. You know of these problems don’t you?”

“Hyung, please don’t misunderstand what I am about to say. Jihyo didn’t tell the other members but she did mention a few things to me. I offered her my opinions and some advice but I mean no disrespect to you, hyung,” Gary pleaded excitedly, scared that Chang-joo would get the wrong idea.

“Gary-ah, relax. Jihyo and I have talked through these matters. She has also told me that one of her friends gave her some really sound advice and that she agrees with it. We are in a difficult position at this point in our relationship but we have come to an understanding and we will work together to overcome the problem. She told me that ‘True love and happiness are worth fighting for’ and that ‘If we can’t overcome obstacles now, how would we overcome obstacles in the future’. What she said had a strong effect on me, and has opened my eyes to a lot of things in our relationship. Gary-ah, were you the one who gave her this advice?”

Gary looked down, slightly embarrassed, and nodded.

Chang-joo paused as if to contemplate his answer. “Gary, you are a true friend and a very wise man. Not only did you help Jihyo in a very difficult situation but you have given me a very clear insight on what I should do moving forward. I must thank you, Gary-ah, for without your help I don’t think that we could have moved forward from these problems,” Chang-joo said, sincere gratitude in his eyes.

“Hyung, you are too kind. I didn’t do anything. To be honest Jihyo is the true hero here. She is the one who has made me realize these things. These past few years, Jihyo has been a ray of sunshine to whomever she comes across. Her energy and cheerfulness are contagious and honestly, hyung, I really do believe it is because of you. She really cares about you and loves you. Whenever she tells us stories about you there are sparks in her eyes and she has an ever-present glow around her. Hyung, you are the reason that she is the Song Jihyo today. For the first time, I have actually seen her truly happy. For that, I have to thank you. If I could even be half the man you are to my future wife, she would be a very happy woman.”

Chang-joo observed Gary as he listened to his words. He couldn’t help but notice the passion in his voice, the sudden motions of his arms, and the twinkle in his eyes while he was talking about Jihyo.

“You love her, don’t you?” Chang-joo asked abruptly.

His words caught Gary completely off-guard. He froze, shocked by the sudden question. His mind went blank as he fumbled for the right thing to say. “H-h-hyung, w-wh-hat are you talking a-a-bout?” Gary barely stammered out.

“Gary-ah, don’t bother trying to deny it. Your eyes have already said more than you ever need to say. It’s ok Gary-ah. Just be honest,” Chang-joo offered, sympathetically.

Gary stared at him quizzically, then looked down at the floor. He didn’t say anything for a while, contemplating his response. Chang-joo sat patiently, observing his body language in waiting for his answer. Gary finally stood up and knelt before Chang-joo.

“Joesonghabnida hyungnim. It is not because I don’t respect you or wish you any displeasure, but I really can’t help myself,” he exclaimed, bowing his head. Immediately Chang-joo got up and tried to help Gary up.

“Yah, Gary-ah, will you stop that. Please get up. There’s nothing to be sorry about. Please, get up.”

Finally accepting help from his hyung, Gary got up and they both took a seat again. “Hyung, I know that she is your woman, but I fell for her before you two became a couple. Ever since I have known her, I have been in love with her. When the two of you got together, I told myself to give up, yet no matter how hard I tried, I couldn’t stop loving her,” Gary confessed, tears flowing from his eyes.

Chang-joo paused for a moment, then tried comforting Gary. “I would be a fool to be surprised by other people having feelings for Jihyo, especially you Kang Gary. You guys are close and have formed a very strong bond. She is an amazing woman, and I thank god everyday that I am allowed to be with her.” He paused and looked at Gary. “It’s ok. I don’t blame you for having feelings for her, and I appreciate the respect you have for me by not attempting anything with her yet. You are one of her closest friends, and it wouldn’t be right for me to deny her of such a close friend. I will place my trust in you Kang Gary. You have offered both of us wonderful advice, of which, I will eternally be grateful for, and you have proved to me, so far, that you are an honorable and respectable man. I want not only the bond between you and Jihyo to remain, but in the future, the friendship between you and me, to become stronger.”

Gary was touched by Chang-joo’s gestures. He could not fathom the level of trust that this man had imparted on him. Should the roles be switched and another man confessed his feelings for Gary’s woman, he wasn’t sure if he could have acted with as much grace and honor as Chang-joo did. He really respected this man and was certain that he was worthy of being with Jihyo. “Gamsahabnida hyungnim. You have no idea what it means to me to hear you say that. I value our friendship and hope that it will only become stronger as the years go past. I would also like to say that I am grateful to the gods for you. If there was ever a man who was worthy and deserving of Jihyo’s love, it would have to be you. I am glad that it is you who will take care and love her, as she has chosen the better man. The right man.”

Chang-joo let out a big smile and embraced his dongsaeng. As they got up to leave, Chang-joo asked one final question. “Gary-ah, if we eventually get married, would you still continue loving her?”

 

 

*******************************************************************************************************************************************

Hey everyone,

God, last week was a mess. Struggled with time to write this update but finally managed to finish it between yesterday and today. I'm hoping you guys like this chapter, it took me awhile but i think im pretty happy with it. A big thank you to those who have been commenting messaging and upvoting recently. There has been a load of support in the last week and i cant thank you guys enough. really means alot to me that you guys take the time to read and give such great feedback. I will keep updating as fast as i can. In the meantime, please continue to comment/vote/subscribe and stay tuned for more to come! Thanks everyone =)

~C