Chapter 1

Tears – A Monday Couple Fan fiction

“I…. On Monday…. I already have a man.” Those words still echoed in his mind. It was the moment that they were officially the “Monday Couple”. Although it was only for the purpose of entertainment, Kang Gary could not be more elated. The woman that he secretly had a crush on, the woman that till this day had plagued his heart, had agreed to engage him in a relationship. Even though it wasn’t the relationship that he had hoped for, it still brought them closer. Those words still haunted him. It was a constant reminder of how much happiness it brought him along with the frustration and pain since it was not real.

“Forget about it… you’ve been down this road before. Aishhh!” Gary snapped. No matter how many times he has told himself this, it doesn’t help. He looked at his watch; 2:32am. He had been sitting at his desk for the last 5 hours, supposedly to work on the first track of Leessang’s new album, but instead spent half the time reminiscing and doodling. “It’s late and raining. Tomorrow’s shoot isn’t going to be fun,” he sighed. He stood up and turned off the lamp on his table and headed the bedroom. In the darkness he knocked over some empty soju bottles. “Aiishh jjinja!” he cursed. “I have to clear this mess up one day.” Gary wasn’t the tidiest person in the world but with the recent condition of his house, one could easily have mistaken it as a recycling plant. Empty candy wrappers, cigarette cartons and soju bottles littered the area, a testament to his pain.

                                                ************************

He was looking right at her with tender eyes, feeding her ramen. As she slurped the last strand up into some of the soup spilled on the side of . Instinctively he gently wiped it away with his hand. He was happy, ecstatic even. He felt right, felt content. As he smiled he found himself surrounded by water and fish. He was at COEX Aquarium. He heard a familiar voice, “I just said I wanted to come here with my boyfriend.” Instantly he recognized it and without thinking replied, “We’re here. We’re here.”

 

His eyes shot open. He blinked twice and realized where he was. He looked to his right and next the plushy of a monkey and cat, his clock blinked 6:03am. “Yah Kang Gary, even your dreams are memories,” he thought to himself. He knew the significance of that moment. It was the final confirmation of his worst nightmare, the woman of his dreams, the flame of his heart, was in a relationship. He was overseas at the time of her announcement to the press. At that time he was confused about his twitter feed, asking him if he was ok and not to be heartbroken. He brushed it aside to focus on his event overseas only to be devastated upon returning to Korea.

 

6 voicemail messages, 3 text messages. He checked his inbox.

From: Ha Doon Hoon

Hyung, are you watching the news?

 

From: Ha Doon Hoon

Hyung! Where are you. I’m trying to call you but can’t through.

 

From: Ha Doon Hoon

Hyung, call me when you get this please.

 

His voicemails mirrored the texts but with a tone of urgency.

He called Haha as he put the last of his luggage into his manager’s car. They were going straight from the airport to the Running Man shooting. Luckily his starting point was at his restaurant so he could at least freshen up in his office there. “Hyung! Where are you! Why haven’t you called me back!” Haha’s voice sounded noticeably concerned even while whispering.

“Oh Doon Hoon-ah, I just arrived at Incheon. I’m headed to my restaurant for the shoot now. My phone didn’t work in Japan. Weeo?” he replied

“Hyung,  I can’t explain the situation at the moment. The staff are already setting up. There will be some disappointing news hyung. Just don’t be too upset about it. Chaebal hyung. You will be ok. Hwaiting! Saranghe!” Haha whispered as he hung up.

 

That memory eats him up inside every time he thinks about it. Although he was just playing along with the Monday Couple concept, it came naturally to him. He didn’t need to think. It was really how he felt. It then dawned on him what Haha was talking about.

Rubbing his eyes, he muttered, “stressss”. 2 hours to the start of filming. He got out of bed and walked into the shower. By the time he got ready he heard his manager outside in the car. As he left the house, he picked up his signature Leessang cap and his shades. He locked the door and turned to face the world. He breathed in heavily and exhaled hard. “Ok Kang Gary, happy face now. It’s Monday,” he told himself as he closed his eyes. “Right then, ka-jya!