Chapter 4

Tears – A Monday Couple Fan fiction

Ten months have passed by since Song Jihyo and her boyfriend went public. She couldn’t be happier with how everything had panned out so far. Running man was still a huge success, with followers from all cultures spread all over the world. She had completed two dramas and was working on yet another movie, and the love she received from her boyfriend imparted a perpetual glow to her that one can only describe as bliss. Her joy was contagious, as she gave immediate energy and lift to any set and shoot she took part of. She remained very active during the runningman shootings and even won several races, earning her the title ‘Gold Jihyo’. Everything was going right in her world.

                                                ************************                      

In another place, it wasn’t necessarily the same circumstances with another person. To the eye, Kang Gary was blessed. Extremely talented on-stage and on sets, part of arguably the best hiphop duo in South Korea, a successful restaurateur and established the Leessang company, he was indeed a man with many a respectable trait. Yet behind closed doors, he suffered quietly. Only a very few close to him could see the bruises that never heals, the cuts that don’t bleed, the anguish that he covers up. His world was so perfect, yet one imperfect aspect overshadowed any and all success.

Though he never lacked friends, he could not shake the feeling of being lonely all the time. His closest friends included Jong Kook, Haha, Jaesuk and Gil of which he was with frequently during the day, whilst his nightly companions consisted predominantly of soju, beer, whisky and vodka. The empty void in his heart and in his bed tormented him daily, emotions manifested into soulful lyrics in his songs. He was different now, yet even people closest to him shrugged it off as him having a busy schedule. Clubbing was something Gary was known for, yet in recent times he’d only visit occasionally. His friends would complain about his being too busy to come out and play but the real truth is that he hated to come back alone to a cold lonely bed.  He had no lack of lady suitors, from diehard fans to those interested in being on the cover of the latest gossip magazines, yet he paid them no heed. In the beginning, he tried to forget HER by bringing such suitors home with him, but he was oblivious to them as they began to get intimate. Each time, something about the girl he was kissing would trigger a chain of memories and emotions that struck at his heart and he would see HER instead of the girl he was with. It was not fair on them, and as such, he would send them off before things got out of hand. His closest brothers tried to console him and encourage him to move on and give not just others but also himself a chance to be happy, yet perhaps there was a part of him that did not want to move on. It was too painful to let go. A classic dichotomy between what the mind knows to do and what the heart wants.

                                                ************************                      

Another runningman episode concludes, Yoo Jae-suk the eventual winner. The members gathered for a team dinner and drinks after. It was a regular thing, generally at least twice a month after the shoot they would eat, laugh and drink together. It was, after all, a family. For the past few months, there was a noticeable absence in the family. Jihyo was always busy with her schedules since the start of the family, but now most of her free time was reserved for the one she loved, and no one could blame her.

“Jihyo-ah, we are going out afterwards. I assume you are going home as per usual?” Jong Kook teased as the set was winding down.

“Oppa, what do you mean. I always hang out with you guys. We are a family!” Jihyo retorted with her quintessential Mong face.

“Yah Song Jihyo!! Really?” Jaesuk walked towards them with his finger outstretched at Jihyo. “When is the last time you came out with us in Seoul? Don’t get us wrong, we are really glad that you found happiness, but you don’t have time for us anymore.”

“Ani-yo, I came out with you guys recently. Remember we ate at that crab place and Kwangsoo got so drunk he was eating leaves off a tree like a real giraffe.” She replied, sounding very confident.

“Yes I remember. Suzy and Yoo-bin was shooting with us then” someone said from behind Jihyo.

She turned around and saw Kang Gary walking towards them, his ever-present frown causing creases on his forehead.

“Yes, yes, that’s right. See oppa, told you” Jihyo exclaimed excitedly and gave Jaesuk a merong.

“Mongji…. That was almost two months ago. I hate to go against you, but hyung is right. I am very happy for the both of you that you enjoy each other’s company so much.” Gary said with a forced smile. Jong Kook and Jaesuk looked at each other nervously. “It’s ok Jihyo-ah, go to him. Love is paramount above all.” With that, Gary walked away and towards his car. Jaesuk and Jong Kook slowly followed, nodding goodbye to her as they walked off.

Jihyo was left standing there, blinking like a deer in headlights. A stereotypical mong expression clearly printed on her face.

                                                ************************                      

Jihyo looked out the window in the car. “Has it really been that long?” she pondered to herself. “Maybe I have been neglecting our family. They treat me so well and I really should be better to them.” She thought back to the time before she was together with Chang-joo. She was lucky to find a cast that welcomed her whole-heartedly and didn’t ostracize her for being the only permanent girl in the group. To the members, she was one of them. Free to chat, laugh, eat and have a drink with whenever, wherever. She really did feel blessed that they could be so close, definitely the reason why the cast stayed together for so long. Ratings aside, each and every one of them found joy in making running man together. It was rare to have a cast like that.

She took out her phone and dialed a number on speed dial.

“Jagiya, is it ok that I stay out a little late tonight? The members are having a group dinner again tonight and I feel bad that I haven’t attended any in a long time.

……

I’m not sure until what time but it won’t be too late. I have a shoot in the morning.

……

Kenchana jagiya, I can take a taxi home or I’ll ask one of the members who didn’t drink to send me home. You must be tired, no need to pick me up. I’ll be ok.

……

Arrasso, gomawo oppa. Sarangheyo! I’ll see you at home later.”

She put her phone back into her bag and let out a big smile. “It has been too long. Tonight will be fun.

“Unnie, can you drop me off at Haha’s restaurant please? I’ll be having dinner with the members tonight.”