The Sincerity of His Words

The Last Pages Were Ripped Away

“Sehun! It’s almost daybreak so we’ll be heading out first!” A deep voice broke the icy silence of dawn.

“Alright! Go ahead!” Sehun called out, his breath hovering as white puffs near his lips. With a shiver, he pulled his riding gloves out of his back pockets and jogged across the paddock, the morning frost crunching softly under his feet. Just as he reached the mounting grounds, Mei appeared from the stable with his blue roan stallion, and Sehun felt his chest tighten wistfully.

“Good morning, Master Sehun,” she bowed. She handed him his helmet, her eyes only flickering up to his for just a moment while he, on the other hand, unabashedly locked his gaze on her. The cold temperature had made her cheeks and the tip of her nose a rosy pink; it was the only charming color amidst the gray, dreary mist that blanketed the land.

Sehun parted his lips to greet her back, but was interrupted by the thundering of hoofs returning.

“Good morning, Master Chanyeol.”

The said one pulled his horse up into a halt and nodded in acknowledgement. “Gun sock,” he demanded in his natural bass tone.

“Yes, Sir,” she obeyed and scurried back to the stables.

“Why do you need another gun sock? It’s covering your rifle right now,” Sehun pointed out, slightly annoyed at how his stepbrother ordered her around in a peremptory manner. Although it was an ordinary sight to see her treated in such a way, since she was a Slave after all, but Sehun never concurred to what a cruel prison society was to her. It was saddening how deeply ignorance and discrimination were embedded within the conventions of aristocracy; even Chanyeol, who was one of the most honest and bright sons of the Manor, disregarded the peasantry as a lower human race.

Chanyeol chortled, his round eyes squinting unevenly into a large, toothy grin. “The last time I went hunting, a branch actually tore it and I had to carry everything around in one hand. I almost got thrown off this horse because of that, and I don’t want to lose my life from just horseback riding!” His laughter was carefree and good-natured, but Sehun found it too loud for his liking. Like a stubborn child, he wished he was hearing Mei’s laughter instead.

“Here is your gun sock, Master Chanyeol.”

Sehun watched his stepbrother take it from her without any regard of appreciation and frowned in displeasure. Love had a tendency to blind those who had fallen in it, and Sehun was no exception. He was unknowingly a hypocrite, because although he was angered for Mei’s sake that she was treated so poorly, there was never a prick in his conscience when he ordered other servants around. Sehun was polite and respective towards them, but their obedient service to him was naturally expected. And it was this kind of inborn difference in ethic that made Mei doubt if they would be able to share themselves in mutual understanding. She had taken notice whenever he had struggled to show his kindness towards her and ended up doing so in a blunt, unskilled way; although he was sometimes awkward or unintentionally harsh at that, she appreciated his efforts and his sincerity had warmed her heart. But it was slightly disturbing and frightening that his sensitivity did not reach peasants other than Mei, who were all like grains of rice that could easily be swiped away by a flick of his hand. Mei never even dared to dream of such authority, but it was as ordinary as the water he drank to him. She was timid in shortening the distance between them, because she was afraid that he didn’t fully understand the weight of the power he held.

Even at this moment, her safety could have been jeopardized by his intense gaze on her. Although the way Sehun was looking at her sparked flames within her and left traces of girlish giddiness, they were all overridden by her fear; if there were the keen, envious eyes of the servants watching them right now, Mei would surely be bullied afterwards. Mei knew that Sehun understood this fact well too, and that he only allowed himself to do so because Chanyeol was the only one around. But it still made Mei uneasy; one must never let down his guard, for there were eyes and ears in every corner of the Manor’s territory.

“Alright, let’s go. Suho and Jongdae are already ahead of us.”

Mei held his stallion still as Sehun mounted and adjusted his hunting equipment on the back of his saddle. With a click of his tongue, Chanyeol rode his horse towards the woods first, leaving the two alone in the murky morning mist.

“Have a safe trip, Master Sehun,” she bowed again. Something dropped from her shirt collar and hung around her neckline as she did so; Sehun immediately recognized it as the pearl pendant he had given back to her.

Unintentionally, his brows furrowed together in what seemed to be of scorn, although it was actually a sign of his concern. “You are practically asking for the others to steal that necklace from you.”

Despite his harsh words, Mei couldn’t help but smile to herself as she retightened the bridle around the horse’s head. She understood that Sehun was worried for her; the brittle ice that coated his words didn’t hinder the good will that lay underneath it. She was filled with a comforting warmth to know that someone cared for her. Eula and Luhan always looked out for her too, but when the concern came from Sehun, it was different; it was sweet and pleasuring. Feeling the blood rise to her cheeks, Mei hated the fact that he was mounted on his horse and towering over her---she couldn’t sneak a glance at him without being noticed, and she definitely didn’t want to be caught with a blush on her face.

Meanwhile, uneasiness and regret nipped at Sehun’s conscience as he gazed down at her, wondering if his words had been too harsh. It was always like this, he thought ruefully; he could easily captivate a crowd of diplomats with his intellectual eloquence, yet the appropriate words he wanted to give her became stuck in his throat, and he could only manage to spit out inhospitable remarks that he never really meant.

He wished that they were on the same eye-level so that he could see what she was thinking. All he could do was study how long and delicate her eyelashes were, and hope that she would raise her gaze to him and wash away his worry. With a quiet, frustrated sigh, he glanced up at the dawn sky as he buckled his helmet under his chin.

The early morning rays of sunrise were skimming the treetops, its golden hue softly blooming atop the horizon. Sehun heard her draw a breath in awe beside him, and he smiled, happy that they were sharing the same marvelous scenery together. Slowly, the sun peeked over the skyline and scattered its sweet light over them, dispersing the ominous fog that had been engulfing them earlier.

“It’s beautiful,” Sehun abruptly commented. He wasn’t a sentimental man, but the sunrise was just so splendid; he was sure that she was feeling the same and he felt the sudden need to connect not just in this tender atmosphere they shared, but also in words.

“It is,” Mei replied softly. She looked up at him and smiled.

And Sehun was blinded not by the newborn sunshine, but by her intoxicating radiance.

 

 

From Tel Megiddo

Sehun examined the envelope in his hand, suspicious of the strange name that sounded oddly familiar. After he had come back from the leisure hunt, the letter had been waiting for him on his desk. It had been an unusually good day; he was refreshed from spending his time in the forest, and was contented that Mei had smiled at him---a smile that was only his. A grin played his lips as he pictured her smile again; so genuine and sweet; and was about to reach for his teacup, when it clicked in his brain.

Tel Megiddo---the mountain of theological and Biblical importance, better known for its Greek name, Armageddon.

Baekhyun.

With the realization, Sehun hurriedly ripped the envelope open. He remembered that it had been a sort of secret code they used when they still used to exchange information on a regular basis, but it had been such a long time since he had last had any type of contact with his older brother. But why now, after all these years?

The study was dead silent as Sehun read the letter with a tangible seriousness. The dry paper crinkled between his tightened fists as the written words caused a commotion deep within his chest. Like a long lost key that fit into a padlock, the writing galvanized him. They hadn’t seen each other for years, but Baekhyun had surmised his situation so precisely well, that Sehun felt the hairs on his neck rise.

With his brother’s words sinking down into his bones, Sehun couldn’t sit still after finishing the letter. The yearning within him to see Mei had grown, inspired and fueled by what he had read.

As the black sky began to adorn itself with sparkling jewels, Sehun rushed out of his room with equally sparkling eyes, in search for who his heart was calling out to.

 

 

 

Dear Brother Sehun,

            It has been a long time since I have last written a letter or sent books to you. I sincerely hope that you are fine and well, my brother. Without a doubt, you must have grown into a fine man that I probably would not be able to recognize if we were to pass each other in the streets. It is truly a wonder how quickly time flies by; I am often astonished by how rapidly my son in growing. This upcoming summer will mark his second year.

            Brother, do you know how fearful love makes one become? Fearful of separation, fearful of loss. It is the most powerful of fears, and it repeatedly threatens to paralyze my beliefs and my actions. When I had first left the Manor, I had boldly surged through the days in search for true purpose, without hesitating so much as a second. But now that I have my wife and my son that I love so dearly, I often wish time to stop so that I can savor this happiness forever. The time that I spend with them is so precious and irreplaceable; I am constantly afraid that this life I have become besotted with will change, or worse, come to an end. But we must never halt our steps that carry us forward. Sacrifices must be made for a greater cause.

            Sehun, I do not know if you have found someone to love. Love is indeed painful and dangerous, sometimes even foolish, as the Manor’s custom has always taught us. But there is such a sacred beauty, a breath-taking delirium to loving and to be loved that grants our life with the most persevering, gratifying hope. I write this letter to you, because if someone has managed to thaw your frozen heart, I tell you to keep her close. Never let go, because the loss of your beloved is much more destructive than death itself.

           Revolution is brewing amongst the townspeople, and there is a rumor that a powerful figure is organizing and directing the peasantry. There is a need for change in this wicked society, and bloodshed is as equally inevitable. Be safe, my dear brother. I wish you the best of luck to whatever fate has destined, and remember, never let go of her.

                                                            Sincerely,

                                                                   Baekhyun

 


A rare sweet moment for Sehun and Mei<333 

Please comment! I really want to know your reaction!