one

Once Upon A December
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

I patted my skirt, trying to get as many wrinkles smoothed out as I possibly could. Wrinkles were unattractive, my mother would always say; and she still does. Whether it was on your face or on your clothes, it was always unappealing to the eye. I hadn't cared so much, for appearance was never that important to me. As long as the dress still looked nice in the end, I thought it would be fine. But because this was my brother Jaehyo's birthday event, I had no choice but to follow Mother's orders and try to be most lady like today. Though, I always tried my very best to be lady like, so tonight should not be a problem at all. I was well liked for my feminine manner and innocent look, so if I had been unlady like, no one would really care, for I would still be attractive amongst the eyes of the people.

A loud thunder erupted through the night. It was snowy and rainy, causing there to be hail as well, this evening, and it didn't look like it was going to end anytime soon. I felt pity, for all our guests had not yet arrived. I heard the prancing of horses from out the window; poor horses, I thought, because they were forced outside to bring our guests over, probably freezing in the ice cold snow.

No longer wanting to sulk over such matters, I walked into the ballroom, and may I say, it was quite a ruckus in there. People chatted loudly and the orchestra played in a higher volume than they should have. But I didn't mind much, for I loved classical music. The sounds of violins relaxed my stiff shoulders, and I swayed to the beautiful sound of Mozart. What a wonderful composer he was; I had loved every piece of his.

The music of romance started to play among the orchestra, and everyone had a partner to dance with, while I, was still alone. I turned around, looked left and right, even up and down because I was so desperate. The Heiress of the Ahn Estate always had someone to dance with and was never alone. I wasn't going to let this year ruin my reputation.

I felt a soft tap on my right shoulder and instantly turned around to meet the gaze of the person who did so. My heart had stopped beating for a moment's time, and butterflies started to form in the pit of my stomach. I started to feel excited, though my legs had suddenly become weak. The male before me, his features were breath-taking. He had soft, kind, bright eyes, which showed that he was a genuinely nice person. He had thin lips that formed a generous smile, which happened to be what he was doing at the moment. He had brown hair, it looked soft and silky and I had the sudden urge to run my fingers through it. The male had pale skin; a porcelain pale that carried no flaws whatsoever. I hadn't known him, neither have I ever seen him; but I had already fallen in love.

"Would you... Like to dance?"

I found myself unable to speak, and I was slightly thankful for that, because if I had spoken, I surely would have made a fool of myself. So I just nodded my head. The warm smile never left the male's face, as he stretched his hand out. I, being shy, slowly reached out my hand and our palms connected. Though, the beautiful stranger took the initiative to intertwine our fingers. I flushed a deep shade of red, and I became very flustered all of a sudden. I was bewildered by my embarrassment, for it had never occurred before. But I tried to shrug it off and be calm, just as the male appeared.

We had reached somewhere in the middle of the ballroom. Step, by step, by step, we danced. Our bodies were held close together, and I could feel his breath against my lips when he spoke.

"Joonmyun. My name is Kim Joonmyun."

Joonmyun murmured against my lips. His breath was hot against my lips. Perhaps, hopefully, he was having the same feeling as I; the feeling of nervousness. I gulped, trying my best to keep my calm. I suddenly became shaky; Joonmyun had a soft, melodic voice that made my legs weak. I was under his spell, if he even had one. Maybe he was just naturally charming and was not aware from it. Yes, that must have been it, because though his eyes screamed mysterious, there was still a hint of uncertainty there. I chuckled lowly to myself, trying my best not to show my anxiety.

"Yura. Ahn Yura."

I spoke softly. Ever since Joonmyun had tapped my shoulder, making me turn around to look at him, we never broke our gaze. We had kept staring at each other, even now, possibly the whole night, even, as if we were in a staring contest.

Joonmyun looked down and chuckled as well. His bangs fell upon his eyes, and I could no longer see them. Such a shame, because his eyes were enchanting. A deep shade of hazel, very deep, but very beautiful. I liked his eyes, and I secretly hoped he would move his bangs out of the way so I could gaze clearly into them again. Now, it just seemed like I was gazing at his bangs, which wasn't what I wanted to look into.

And to my luck, Joonmyun let go of my right hand for a quick moment to move his bangs out of the way. Though my right hand and his left hand quickly intertwined themselves once he was done. It was as if our hands were a puzzle piece; fitting perfectly together when enclosed. I smiled at him sincerely, like we had been lovers for a long time already. I would be happy- more than happy- if that were to happen in the near

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter