Chapter 1 - "Good Mornings"

Changing Destiny

Chapter 1 - "Good Mornings"

February 14th, 2014 - Friday

 

“Youngie-ahhh, 일어나 (il-eona ; get up) ~~~”

The soft voice sang as my bed shook and I felt a hand on my shoulder. Mumbling while half awake, I turned my back to the person who was attempting to wake me up.

“Yah! Nam Na Young, 일어나 (il-eona ; get up)!”

There was a strong tugging sound of the blinds at my window, and my head began pounding to the sudden flush of light shining through my eyelids.

I began to whine as I slowly opened my eyes, “Unnie, whaeee~”

“Because today’s the last day of this school year! You must get up! This is the last day before I become a senior, and you will be in the 2nd grade!” She patted my to get me out of bed before walking out the door, “가자! (Gaja! ; Let’s go!) The others are already eating breakfast downstairs with Ajusshi. We’ll be waiting!” she brightly smiled and waved.

 

I remained sitting up on the edge of my bed and I sighed heavily. I loved Eun Bi Unnie, but she had way too much energy for an older woman.

After dragging myself into the shower, I felt completely better and awake once leaving my room all dressed up in my uniform. I had done a light layer of makeup just to cover a few of my blemishes and a light coat of mascara and eyeliner for the finishing touches. My father had always told me that I didn’t need a lot of makeup, and so I didn’t wear much of it.

But that was only because he would scold me and tell me to wipe it all off if I ever did wear a large amount of makeup.

He would always say something between the lines of:

 

“Your mother never wore that much makeup, you have great natural beauty from your mother that you should show off!”

or

“Take all that junk off your face, no one will ever want to be your boyfriend if they knew you were being fake!”

or

“Honey, you look beautiful just the way you are, you don’t need all that crap.”

or

“You’ll never find a husband if you’re always taking up time to paint your face!”

 

Thanks dad.

 

On the reality of things, my father and I are very close. He is my 4th best friend - next to Eun Bi Unnie, Min Ji, and Yoo Ri of course. He always supports me for whatever choices I make, and he’s always willing to listen to my problems. I am so grateful to have him in my life, and I don’t know what I would do without him.

That’s exactly why I must work another job other than the ramyun shop. Father’s ramyun shop hasn’t been doing very well for the past few months so that’s why I took up the opportunity to get another job to help support our small family. At first he didn’t like the idea and he just wanted me to focus on my studies, but I told him that I really wanted to help and so he finally let go of the argument and agreed. So now I am a student / waitress / junior janitor!

 

.......

 

That doesn’t sound as exciting as I thought it was going to be. But hey- it’s the money that’s helping us get through life so I’m still willing to do it. And it was the easiest job I applied for, that also worked with my schedule. In the mornings I would go to school, then at 3 o'clock, I would go straight to my janitorial job after school. After my janitorting job, I would head home and help out with the ramyun shop if it was ever busy and if not, I would just work on my studies.
Sounds easy right?

 

Wrong.

 

My janitoring job is located in a famous building filled with snobby and stuck-up famous people.

 

SM Entertainment.

 

Now, I’m not saying that all the artists there are snobby and stuck-up, I’m just speaking about the ones that I have already encountered with. Let’s just say that looks are deceiving when you’re on TV v.s. real life.  Let me also make the statement that if you put too many girls in one room, you will get drama.

Even some of the trainees are already acting up, thinking they’re all high and mighty. I would say that I have gotten pretty darn good amount of dirty glares from both the artists and trainees at that building, but I’m not going to let it bother me as much because I know I am a better person and I just like to think to myself that ‘maybe they were just having a bad day’, that’s all.

But ‘having a bad day’ for 3 days straight whenever they see me isn’t just some ‘coincidence’.  

I’d like to give them a piece of my mind sometimes, but I can’t.

You see, the rank of popularity and respect in the building runs like this:

 

Founding Chairman (Lee Soo-man)

CEO (Kim Young-min)

Artists (Kangta, BoA, TVXQ, Super Junior, SNSD, SHINee, f(x), and EXO)

Managers / Stylists

Trainees

Bodyguards

Main Office Workers

Main Desk Workers

and then there’s people like me - the janitors.

 

We’re at the bottom of the food chain, and no one cares about us. If one of us says something ridiculous, they can easily replace us with the snap of their fingers- just like that.

But if one of the artists says something ridiculous to one of the workers, no one complains because of the obvious fact that the artists are irreplaceable.

And let me tell you something else about SM Entertainment- the artists get treated like kings and queens there. Along with the founding chairman and the CEO, of course.

Just thinking about my workplace gives me headaches, and I dont know how much longer I’m going to be able to work there without having my mind explode.

 

“Ahh.! Looks like the beast FINALLY decides to wake up.!” Minji looks at me with a big smile that’s stuffed with kimchi pancake.

I gave her a glare and walked over to the refrigerator to get a water bottle, “Ha ha, very funny.” I rolled my eyes.

They were all gathered around the kitchen’s island munching on the breakfast that my father had made for us, like he does almost every morning.

 
( Kitchen )
 

“좋은 아침(Joh-eun a-chim ; Good morning), Youngie Unnie~” Yoo Ri sings to me with her eyes closed along with a smile smeared across her face.

The corner of my lips tugged up into a smile and I ruffled her head with my hand, “Good morning, Yoo Ri.” I say before I twisted open my water to take a chug at it.

Her happy smile quickly turned into a frown as she sat up and pouted. “Ya- Unnie, you know I’m only in this mood because of food. That doesn’t mean you can mess up my hair like that. Do you know how long it took me to get my hair like this?!”

I smirked and shrugged my shoulders, “You’re only in middle school, you’ll be fine. You don’t need to be impressing boys anyways.”

She scoffs, “Unlike you, I like to keep my image clean. I have a reputation to stick with you know!”

I crossed my arms and looked at her with disbelief, “Eh? Since when does my dongsaeng have a ‘reputation’ to keep up with?”  

Eun Bi laughed as she was leaning on the table with her elbows, and she pointed her chopsticks at Yoo Ri, “That brat has apparently has been the most popular female in her grade since Elementary School.”

Minji chuckled and swallowed her food before she opened up again. “I hear she’s the ‘prettiest girl’ in her grade and that she’s ‘popular among the boys’ at school too.” She chuckled once again.

I sighed and shook my head, “Ya- you should be studying and taking care of your internal health instead of worrying about your looks on the outside.” I say as I start to take the empty plates over to the sink.

Yoo Ri rolled her eyes at me and waved her hand, “Yeah yeah, whatever. You sound like my mom.”

“Well, I’m sorry if I care about your well-being, you brat.” I said to her as I washed my hands.

“Ya, Youngie-ya. You didn’t even eat breakfast.” Eun Bi pointed out as she slipped on her backpack.

I shook my head, “난 괜찮아 (Nan gwen-chana ; I’m fine). We’ll be late for our bus if I eat anyways, 그냥 가자 (geun-yang ga-ja ; let’s just go).”

 

The four of us headed towards the exit of the kitchen and into the restaurant with our backpacks strapped to our backs. My father was sitting at the counter with his notebook and pen in hand, looking over the list of ingredients that he had just written down.

 

Main Restaurant View )
 

He turned around at the sound of the kitchen door swinging open and smiled. “Did you girls enjoy breakfast this morning?”

The harmony of “예 Ne (yes)” from the four of us was sung as we headed towards the main door. I stopped to look at my father and smiled at him, “좋은 아침(Joh-eun a-chim ; Good morning), Appa.”

He smiled his famous gummy smile and ripped out the sheet of paper from his notebook, “여기에 (Yeogi ; Here).” He handed me the paper and some money. “It’s the list of ingredients that we were running low on, do you think you could stop by and get them before you come home today?”

“물론 (Mullon ; Of course).” I nodded my head. “I’ll be going now. Appa, don’t work yourself too hard today, arraso?”

He chuckled and shook his head in reply. “And you be careful while walking in the streets. You never know what will happen. Ya, maybe you’ll even meet my future son-in-law today.” He raised his eyebrows.

I groaned, “Appa~” I said as I stomped my foot, “Stop acting like you know the future and stop bringing up the boy thing! It’s weird!”

He laughed, “You never know! And 여기에 (Yeogi ; Here). I packed you lunch since I know you wouldn’t be able to eat breakfast this morning.”

I happily took the lunch box from his hand and quickly hugged him, “Gomowo, Appa.” And before I stepped foot out of the restaurant I turned around and waved at him, “나중에 보자! (Najung-e boja ; See you later!)”

 

 

~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

After a 10 minute bus ride to school, Yoo Ri had gotten off at her own stop while Eun Bi, Minji, and I all got off at the same stop together. The three of us attended Seoul Global High School, so Minji and I had a few classes together while Eun Bi was in different classes.

“I can’t wait until this day is over.” Minji groaned as she leaned on a few of the lockers that were next to mine. I shook my head in disagreement as I emptied out the remainings in my locker. “I can. I’m really not in the mood to deal with stuck up idols today.”

Minji suddenly lifted her body weight off of the lockers and stared at me with a stupid look. “Are you kidding me right now?! You get to work so close to THE Lee Taemin. Also known as one of THE members of THE SHINee. You must be crazy not to think that that’s the most epic ever!” She waved her hands around in the air to prove her dramatic point. But I just shrugged my shoulders.

“I’m just not that into all of that..” I waved my hand in her face, “..idol stuff. Okay? And plus, THE SHINee you’re talking about, isn’t all that in real life anyways.” I said before I shut my locker and walked towards homeroom.

Minji trailed behind me still trying to convince me that my job was “cool”- but when you’re cleaning toilets and emptying trash cans the whole time, the job isn’t even close to “cool”.

“WAIT. You’re telling me that you’ve met THE SHINee in real life before?!” She squealed in a whisper so that no one around us would hear.

I laughed, “I emptied out their garbage can while they were practicing in their practice room. They stopped and bowed at me, and I bowed back- that’s it.”

She let out another high pitched squeal and shook my shoulder, “Youngieee~ that’s so close to them! Did they say anything to you?!”

“All they said was ‘Hi’..” I said a I sat in my seat next to the window. She  squealed again as she took her seat right behind me, but this time right into my ear. I frustratedly sighed and turned to look at her with a cold face. “If you don’t stop squealing, I’m going to punch you in THE face. Arraso?”

The bell rang as a signal for the first period of the day, and the teacher walked in.

And before silence was heard around the room, Minji mouthed a “miane (sorry)” to me as she tried to contain her excitement that was boiling up in her from the whole SHINee fangirl momentum.

Just with Minji mentioning the whole thing shook me up with annoyance, and now I really was not looking forward to work today. 

 


~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

 

 

 

Hello, all you lovely readers!
I hope you guys enjoyed this first chapter! It took me awhile to finish this because I've just been busy... vacationing.
Hahaha, sorry! I promise that I will TRY to keep up with the chapters if I get requests to do so in the comments!
Thank you so much for reading and please look forward to more chapters of
"Changing Destiny" in the future! Thank you! ^.^