V. Part 1

The Difference between You and I

“My name is Park Chanyeol,” the boy with the ‘weird ears’ extended a hand to Suzy in introduction.

Kai shook his head. Fate truly worked in mysterious ways. It turns out Asian Literature wasn’t the only subject this ‘Chanyeol’ took with Suzy. They also had Social Science together. And now, what Kai was looking at were the two seated together, for a discussion of a project they were supposed to do together.

It’s not like Kai had anything against this. It’s just… It was odd how he had been paired up to Suzy. Considering that Suzy was supposed to work alone.

“Why aren’t you pairing up with anyone?” The ‘invisible’ guy beside Suzy asks. Their professor had just asked the class to pair up for a project briefing. “Are you going to do the project alone?”

As usual, Kai read the scribbled black ink on Suzy’s notebook.

The class has an odd number, Suzy wrote down and explained .

The professor usually wants projects submitted in pairs.

The pairs were already set since the start of the semester .

“And why were you stuck working alone?” he curiously asked.

I volunteered to do it alone.

“As expected.” Kai sighed.

“I’m from the Music Department” he says offering a big grin. The corners of his lips were practically touching his ears.

Suzy hesitantly shook his hand. “I’m Bae Suzy,” a shaky voice unexpectedly comes out. She clears . “Nice to meet you.”

Kai sees Chanyeol’s smile gets bigger, as if it could anymore.

“It must be awkward getting paired up with me in the middle of the semester, huh?” He slouches back in his chair. “I’m sorry, it’s just – My partner. He, uh…” Both Suzy and Kai see the boy tense up a bit. Both of them waited for the rest of the tongue-tied boy’s sentence. “Well, I don’t think he’d be attending this class anytime soon.”

“Ah,” Suzy merely nods. “Did he drop the subject?”

“Something like that…”

“I see.”

There was silence after that, which might as well happened, seeing as the professor spoke up and gave the details of their project. It was another report. This time on a journal article of their choice, so long as it had socio-political relevance.

“Oh. Wow, that sounds so much fun,” a sarcastic Kai comments aloud, with only Suzy hearing him.

Suzy suppresses a smile, but still both corners of her lips pull up involuntarily. Kai looks down on her notebook, expecting her waiting to write down her response.

Upon seeing this Suzy quickly scribbles on the notebook with her pencil.

Heaps of fun. :/

But Kai…

“Yeah?”

If he sees this, she then draws an arrow pointing at Chanyeol who was well within two feet near her and could see what she was writing down.

He’d think I’m weird.

“Oh.” This was the only thing Kai voiced out. He got what Suzy was trying to say. She wouldn’t talk to him for the time being. “Okay.” It was the only thing he could say. It’s not like he could ask why she thought talking to him through a notebook would be weird. Or why that guy’s opinion would matter. Or why she didn’t see her request hurt his feelings.

I’m sorry, she writes almost immediately after seeing Kai’s gaze fall to the floor.

He doesn’t get to read this though.

 “Are you writing down the details for the report?” a curious Chanyeol peers at Suzy’s desk.

Suzy shut her notebook close before turning to her project partner. She gives off a forced smile. “No, just – uh, reminders of what I need to do later on,” she lied.

The boy nods. “I was going to tell you that Ma’am will e-mail us the details, so there shouldn’t be much to take down,” he cheerfully informs her.

“Oh really?” Suzy wasn’t really good at keeping conversations. “That’s good.”

Chanyeol gives her a toothy smile and goes back to listening to the professor once more. Suzy on the other hand was looking at a crest fallen Kai, his attention still on the ground. You should have kept your gaze on the notebook you fool. She sighs and wishes she could call out his name.