Second sting

Flight To Paradise

I tried so hard to pay attention on what Seungho was telling me, but I couldn't concentrate so much I was focused on Byunghee and Seojin's conversation. It wasn't anything important, but it was a change from how he treated me yesterday when we were on the plane. I kept glancing at him looking at his amused faced as Seojin is rambling about something that happened when we were little. He looked so mesmerized by her, but I couldn't blame him, Seojin had that effect on people, anywhere she went, she was the star and that never bother me until now. I kept stealing glances at him in secret, but I guess he felt observed and turned his head towards me. Our eyes met and he raised his eyebrow at me with a questioning look. I quickly turned my attention to Seungho, but I didn't miss his mocking smirk.

Seojin stopped talking for an instant and looked at the both of us, but didn't say anything. Then out of the blue she added "I didn't know that we were going to double date, I would have come prepared, you know." I was sipping my juice when she made that comment, I was so surprised that I choked on it, I started coughing violently so I excused myself to go to the restroom. On my way back to the table, Seojin's phone rang from my pocket, it was my mom " Hello eomma..." I was unable to say anything else because she started yelling "How the heck did I raised you that way, huh? Do you know how worried I was? I told you to call me when you arrived, but I never heard from you. You are my only daughter, you would have never treated me that way if your father was here, my blood pressure is so high that my neck is stiff, what should I do with you, aigoo, aigoo..."

I waited for her to finish her drama then ask "Eomma, what time is it?" " What time is it?" she replied, "How would I know, why are you asking me the time anyway?" "I wanted to know what time it was where you are." "Oh, It's 10 Pm here, why?" " I was so tired after the flight yesterday that I couldn't call you when I arrived. Anyway it was 5am for you why would I call you at that time?" I knew that when she was in drama mode nothing would go through her, so I play the only card I know she could not resist. " Eomma, I met someone..."I wasn't even finished with my sentence when I heard a shriek on the other line. Seriously, she was worst than Seojin sometimes. " You did? When, where, how?" She said with excitement " Is he Korean, is he handsome, does he have money, does he have a job, what kind of work does he do? ..." " If you gave me a chance to answer you would know" I said laughing. "But he's not for me, he's for Seojin" "What... What do you mean for Seojin?" "Yeah, she all alone here in Korea, and I have to find her someone before I leave." She gasped "Really? What about you? You are always looking for others. When are you going to settle and give me a grandchild hmm!" Seojin was getting impatient and was worried that I probably fainted in the bathroom, she was going to check on me when Byunghee proposed to look for me himself. Seojin hesitated a little bit, but he was already on his feet. I was facing the garden and did not see him. Still on the phone with my mom, "You know I will not leave you, I love you too much" I said laughing. "Yeah, yeah, yeah! Once you find a rich handsome man, you will not think about me twice." I kept laughing, "Does he have to be rich?" "Of course, If not, I will kick you out." I burst out laughing, that lady is so crazy "Why? We are so good together. Don't I make you happy anymore?" "Aish! shut up. You will not sweet talk me like always. By the way, the person that you have in site for Seojin, is he rich?" " Yes he is. He is the CEO of one of Korea's biggest company, and he is very handsome." "Hmm, is he?" "Yep, and if My plan goes well, there should be a wedding by next summer." "Does he have any brothers?" "He has four, why?" "Why don't you seduce one of them and get a husband for the love of God?" "Don't even go there..." she knew what I was going to say, so she cut me off before I could finish. "I know, I know, Your job and blah, blah, blah. Now go away I am sleepy." "Okay, love you" I said "Love you too baby, talk to you later and keep me posted. And listen to me for once, okay?" Then she hung up. She called me and now I am bothering her? What did I do in my past life that I ended up having two crazy women in my life.

I shook my head and turned to head back to the table, when I saw Byunghee standing there. 'How long was he there, was he eavesdropping on my conversation. Nah! Probably not.' But little did I know, he heard but he got it all wrong. He stood with both hands crossed over his chest, his muscles showing. 'Damn he's hot! Maybe I should listen to my mom for once'  When our gaze met, he gave me a hard look and he was gritting his teeth. He was mad and I had no idea why. 'Whatever' I thought to myself, 'I can't believe I just thought he was hot... Well he is, but that doesn't mean anything. 'I gave him a smile, But he ignored me all the same. I raised my shoulders in sign of defeat and turned away from him to go back to the table, I only made two steps when he grabbed my arm and pushed me onto the nearest wall, I tried to push him but he held me tighter so I couldn't move. "What are you doing? What do you want ?" I asked annoyed, "I should ask you the same question. What are you planning, huh? What kind of games are you playing at?" I looked at him surprised, what does he mean? "What are you talking about?" "Don't pretend like you don't know what I am talking about. Are you a con artist? So you are looking to marry a rich guy huh. Is that why you came to Korea?" I would have slapped him if he didn't immobilized me, "What I came here to do is none of your business. Who the hell do you think you are?" He scoffed with an evil grin before replying "I am the one who's going to bring you down." "What?!" I looked at him confused, he looked back at me a little bit discountenanced. I wasn't able to read his emotions, but before I knew it, he was boiling with anger. I got a little bit scared, after all I don't know the guy, so I fought him again "Let me go, let me go" The more I fought, the tighter his grip became and the closer he got to me. My heart was racing like a marathon runner, he was getting closer and I could feel his breath on my face, I felt goosebumps all over my body, as I lift my gaze to look at him, our eyes met and I could read something else besides anger in his eyes, he approached his face closer and I instinctively close my eyes, but suddenly he let me go and walked away, if I wasn't already leaning on the wall I would have fallen on the floor. I stood there for a little while to catch my breath, I heard Seojin's voice worried asking Byunghee who was already at the table about me."She's fine, she was on the phone." My legs were shaking as I walked back to the table, I was pale and weak, I thought I was going to faint. Seungho stood up immediately to help me. "Are you okay", he said worried, did you get bad news" I looked at him confused and tried to force a smile, "No, no, I am fine." "Are you sure?" He insisted. "Yes don't worry. Nothing's wrong." I glanced over at Byunghee and he gave me a sarcastic look. He was happy at how confused he made me, and I turned red thinking about how ridiculous I must have looked closing my eyes thinking he was going to kiss me. Damn him!

Seojin was very apt at discerning my emotions and she was following me up close, she looked at me and then she looked at Byunghee suspiciously. I knew what she would be thinking, that's why I didn't talk to her about him yesterday. She is just like mom, she will dramatize anything. Then she started, "As I was telling you Seungho-ssi, Jinju takes care of everybody, she is very good at what she does" "Uhuh," he replied "Miss Seojin told me that you are a theater manager and you take care of many projects." I relaxed and took a deep breath, I was back in my comfort zone "Yes, we have many things pending for the new season. I am a year away from becoming senior manager, I am very excited about that." "I bet you are" said Byunghee sarcastically " That would mean more money no?" "My job is my passion, I don't do it for money" "Yeah," Seojin intervened, "Ana is so in love with her work it's like she is married to it, she doesn't even have time for a m..."Before she finished her sentence, I kicked Seojin under the table. I don't want to answer questions about my dating life, especially not in front of him. But he took the occasion to add "I don't think she plan on staying married to it for long."I was about to reply when his phone rang, he got up to answer it, 'What a rude bastard' I thought. When he came back, he addressed Seungho "Father needs us right now". Then he turned to Seojin and took her hand in his "It was very nice meeting you." He looked at me and as if to mock me, he told her "I hope to see you again, soon. It was a pleasure talking to you."And giving me a formal bow, "Good evening Han Jinju- ssi." Then left. Even the two others were baffled by the way he treated me, and Seungho as charming as ever tried to make up for it " Don't pay attention to him. I was so glad that you accepted my offer to lunch, it was a pleasure seeing you again Ana."He said taking my hand in his. "And you too Seojin-ssi." Please call me Seojin" this one said giggling. "Okay Seojin" he replied and then left. She was on cloud nine and it was obvious, but I was still annoyed.

I could see that she was really into him, But she also clicked with Byunghee. I looked at them both leaving, they were so different from one another, but both good candidates for her. It hurt me to admit it, but Seojin was formidable and would be the first choice of any man. I was always insecure, but Seojin taught me how to love myself even though she was always everyone's first choice, I was always her first choice. I was never jealous of her. But just now, I felt that sting again.