Seven

Up on the Roof

5zic placed the cap on his head, and tilted it 180 degrees. He inspected his reflection in the mirror, satisfied at last with how he looked. He had a black t-shirt on, along with a black leather vest. Honestly, he had never looked better, and he smiled to himself. He didn't know why he was putting so much effort in his outfit tonight. After all, he was just going to meet Renee. Then again, meet was probably not the right word. Renee had no idea whatsoever that he would be coming.

Earlier today, when they were having lunch at the rooftop, Renee had told him of her job after school. She had been working at a coffee shop nearby for a little over a year, and tonight he would surprise her. He just hoped she liked surprises. 5zic had a million other things to do, namely a pile of homework sitting on his bed, but the prospect of seeing Renee after school and not on the rooftop was thrilling he could feel the chills running down his spine.

What was wrong with him? Renee Lee was just a friend.

Was she? He wondered as he made his way to the coffee shop. He was braving the cold night air for her. And if he had taken 3 whole hours to get ready, maybe Renee wasn’t just a friend. She was special, that much he knew. But how special was special?

5zic could see the coffee shop around the corner, and he stopped to take a deep breath. Was he doing the right thing by going over to her work place? What if she didn't like it? He paced the sidewalk, his thoughts in disarray. He should’ve thought it through. Why didn't he think it through? He was never one to act on impulse, but when it came to Renee, he just couldn't stop himself. He contemplated on going home. He didn't want Renee to hate him for coming over. What if she hates surprises?

But just as he was about to turn around and leave, he saw Renee getting yelled at by one of her customers. The sight of her flinching at the customer’s loud voice froze him from the inside, and he clenched his fists in anger. She has had enough hate at school, now she was getting it at work too? 5zic wouldn’t have any of that.

He made his way to the shop, his footsteps as quick as lightning. Angry was an understatement. He was furious. How dare the fat bald man yell at his precious Renee? He pushed the door open and marched straight towards the table, where Renee was continuously bowing to the customer.

 5zic shoved her aside, briefly catching the shocked expression she had on her face before dragging the man up to his feet. Before he realised it, his fist landed cleanly on the man’s long nose, and he had the pleasure of hearing his bones crack. That relieved his anger, albeit only a little. He took a step back, but not before uttering his next words.

“Don't you dare speak to her that way again.” 5zic whispered threateningly.

The man was too concerned with the blood sputtering from his nose that he gave no reply. But a shout from the door caused 5zic to release his hold on the man’s collar.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing boy?!”

Both Renee and 5zic turned to look, and Renee’s eyes widened in horror. “S-sajangnim!”

“What the hell is going on Renee?” The owner shouted. “Who is this young man and why is he punching our customer?”

“I can explain. This has nothing to do with Renee.” 5zic quickly spoke up. Things weren’t looking too bright for him at the moment, and he groaned inwardly. He really shouldn’t have come tonight.

“This has everything to do with the girl!” The fat bald man yelled. “She was the one who spilt the chocolate drink on me and I was the one getting punched?! This is ridiculous! I’m going to sue!”

“No sir!” The owner jumped in. “There’s really no need for any suing. We can settle this right?”

The man snorted, and he ran his fingers over his nose once again. “Fire her. I won’t sue this place if you fire her.”

“Right.” The owner said, slowly nodding his head. He turned to look at Renee, his face apologetic. “Miahnae Renee ah, I really don't know what happened, I don't even know who this boy is, but you’re fired.”

5zic’s blood ran cold and he grabbed the owner’s arm. “Sajangnim!” He said desperately. “Please don't fire her. It’s really not her fault. I’ll pay the fine! Really! Don’t fire her!”

“Gwaenchana 5zic ah. Let’s just go.” Renee said quietly. She unravelled the apron tied around her waist and grabbed her bag from the counter. Without waiting for 5zic, she made her way out the door and into the cold dark night.

5zic, now filled with regret, dropped his head and followed after her. He really screwed up tonight. Maybe he shouldn’t make acting on impulse a habit. It never went well when it came to him.

“Renee wait!” He called out as he ran after her. What was he going to say? How could he fixed what was already broken?

“Renee wait.” He said again when he fell in step next to her. Renee stopped walking, and he waited with bated breath for her to look at him. To his utter surprise, when their eyes locked, a beautiful smile graced her face.

5zic sputtered in disbelief. “What... why are you...”

“Thanks for getting me out of the job.” She said with a grin. “I hated it.”

“What? Why?”

Renee shrugged, and she resumed walking. “Sajangnim is nice, but he only kept me because I agreed on a wage below minimum. I know it wasn’t right, but I’m well... you know...”

“Let’s get another job.” 5zic suggested when they reached an empty playground. The swings were inviting, so he slowly led her there, before gently pushing her towards the night sky. The relief he felt was overwhelming, but he wasn’t completely convinced of Renee’s explanation. Was she just saying what she said to cover up her disappointment, or was she genuinely happy?

“Let’s?” Renee echoed, having picked up the word that contained ‘us’.

“Yeah, you and me.” 5zic said as he made his way in front of her. “I could use the money and the distraction from school.” Plus, I get to spend more time with you, was something he did not dare utter out loud.

Renee dragged her feet across the dirt to stop the swing, and made her way over to 5zic. She tilted her head to the side, as if considering her option. It didn't sound like a bad idea, and she could use a friend, not that she’d ever dare consider him more than that. In the short time that she knew him, she came to realise that he was a very nice guy, a boyfriend material kind of guy. And she also knew, with the amount of attention he paid her, that he was interested in her. But dare she think of him as something more than a friend? Even if he was disowned, he was still the heir to Kim Electronics, and who was she but a mere country girl?

“Hey, what are you thinking about?” 5zic asked softly. “If you’re still thinking about the thing at the coffee shop. I’m really sorry. I didn't mean to-“

“No no.” Renee quickly cut in. “I was just thinking, you and me getting a job, doesn’t sound like such a bad idea.”

5zic’s smile stretched from ear to ear and he almost wrapped his arm around her shoulder, almost. “Cool! I’ll find us a job as soon as possible.”

“Sounds great!” Renee replied brightly. “Now c’mon, the least you could do after getting me fired is to buy me an ice-cream.”

“That I can do.” 5zic said, leading the way to the nearest convenience store, his heart bubbling with happiness, like someone who just stepped into a cozy bubble bath. Was he finally doing something right? Had human interaction always been so interesting? But just maybe, a friend was not what he was looking for in Renee. Was it too early though? For him to confess his feelings? What was he feeling anyway? All he knew was that somehow, there was a roller coaster ride on full speed deep in his belly whenever she looked at him, and someone constantly drumming on his heart when she smiled. How was that even possible?


Chapter Posted on: Feb. 5. 2015