Five

Up on the Roof

When 5zic woke up the next day, the word ‘friend’ was the first thing he thought of. Was that what it was? Was Renee Lee now his friend? He tried to wrap his head around that one sole word, but it was proving to be difficult when Renee Lee suddenly came to mind.

Renee Lee.

With the wild bush mane she called hair and her soft voice, Renee Lee was something else entirely. She was different, maybe because she was the only one who managed to penetrate the thick wall he had built around himself. With just one significant word, she knocked it all down. And he had never been better. The corners of his lips were dying to lift, but he resisted the urge. It was strange, to smile as soon as he woke up. He supposed he now had a reason to smile, but it was too much of a change for someone who doesn’t even know what the word really meant, or how to feel for that matter.

He eyed the alarm clock, and his heart suddenly skipped a beat. It was almost time for school. It was almost time to see Renee Lee. He sat up from the bed, and made his way to the bathroom for a quick shower. He spent quite some time with his hair before giving up when he realised that no matter how perfect his hair was, his uniform was still dirty and wrinkled. He shrugged as he stared at his reflection. It was the best that he could do.

As he made his way to school, he considered stopping at the convenience store for a bowl of ramen. But after a quick glance through the shop window, and no sign of Renee, he changed his mind. He had an inkling that he wasn’t hungry for ramen. He was just looking for a reason to see her.

He knew he sounded and probably looked like a sad puppy. The truth is, he probably was one. He never had a friend before, certainly not one of the opposite . He was excited. He knew his emotions were exaggerated, but he couldn't help himself. This was new. 5zic was no longer a loner. An alien. He now had a companion.

Before he could enter the classroom, he could already see her from where he stood, his feet halted to a stop. Zico was already eyeing her from across the class. His eyes narrowed into slits, and a raging, foreign emotion suddenly shot through his body. He believed it was called jealousy, but he wasn’t so sure. What he was sure though, was that he wanted to gauge Zico’s eyes out. He was staring appreciatively at her, and it wasn’t allowed, not by 5zic’s rules. His forehead creased into a frown. Hold on a second. Why wasn’t it allowed? Renee Lee was just his friend, nothing more than that. Besides, he would shrivel up and die if Renee ever found out he was this excited over a friend.

Deciding to it up, he passed through the threshold, and walked slowly towards his desk. From the corner of his eyes, he saw Renee looking up and he unconsciously sought out her beautiful round face, his heartbeat at the speed of light.

“Morning.” She greeted him. He couldn't help noticing how her eyes twinkled, and he bit the insides of his cheeks to prevent himself from smiling at her.

He nodded his head, slightly, before quickly going to his seat. Yes, in the vicinity of his own home, and his own thoughts, it was okay to be completely happy. There would be no one to witness his happiness. But in front of the girl that actually make him happy, that was a different story altogether. It wouldn’t do for him to suddenly break out into a huge grin, not in this school at least, and definitely not in front of his classmates.

When lunch finally rolled around, he heaved a deep sigh of relief. He couldn't concentrate at all, not when Renee kept glancing at him every 10 minutes with a pretty smile. He managed a small smile for about the first five times, but quit when it was starting to become strange, at least on his part. He thought he had exhausted a lifetime worth of smiles, in only one hour. But at least he knew that she was as happy as he was, with having another friend at school.

He was packing his things when he saw Zico strutting towards her desk. He didn't want to eavesdrop, but he couldn't help slowing down his motion, just so he could catch a word of their conversation.

“Hey, I was wondering if you want to go to lunch with me?” Zico asked her in a cocky tone, as if there was no way she could refuse him this time.

5zic got the pleasure of seeing Renee shake her head, and the clear disappointment etched on Zico’s face only heightened his glee.

“I’m sorry. But I’m going to the library to study.” Renee refused.

“Oh. Then, maybe some other time.” Zico said before walking away, finally leaving both 5zic and Renee alone. She made her way over to him and smiled.

“C’mon.”

5zic raised his eyebrow at her. “I’m not going to the library.”

She giggled, a sound that haunted his sleep later that night. “I thought maybe we could go for lunch.”

“I’m not going to the cafeteria.”

She grabbed his arm, with 5zic briefly thinking that this was the second time she touched him, before he was dragged to the rooftop, a place that started it all. The weather was pleasant that day, and the smile that 5zic had tried so hard to suppress finally resurface. But when he caught Renee staring at him, he wiped the smile completely off his face.

“You should smile more often. You look good.” She commented.

He cleared his throat, unsure of how to answer. Finally, he gestured at the box she held in her hand, noticing it for the first time. “Is that lunch?”

“Yes it is.” She smiled before opening the box. “I made it myself. Hope you like it.” She said, handing him a piece of rolled kimbap. 5zic looked at the slice like it was a long lost gold coin, before popping it into his mouth.

He chewed slowly, savouring the way it tasted on his tongue. Renee watched him, mesmerized by his reaction to a piece of kimbap. It was just kimbap. In fact, it was the only thing she could afford to eat every day. And it wasn’t even that delicious. How could he eat it like it was caviar? Or wagyu beef?

He ended up finishing the whole roll, Renee had no heart to tell him to stop, and turned to look at her, his face genuinely lit up like a light bulb.

“That was delicious.” He complimented her. “I haven’t had homemade kimbap in so long.”

“Why?” She asked him.

The light bulb switched off, and his face clouded. Renee inwardly cursed herself. She shouldn’t have opened her big mouth. He looked upset.

“We should go.” He finally said.

“I’m sorry.” She said before he could walk away. “I didn't mean to pry.”

“Renee, I-“

“It’s ok.” She quickly cut in. “I don't have to know. You don't have to tell me anything.”

“Not yet.” He said.

Renee smiled and nodded her head. “Right. Not yet.”

Because she knew that in time, he would open up to her. And likewise.

When the time comes, they would share something special up on the rooftop, something that neither one of them would ever forget. 


Chapter Posted on: Sept. 11. 2014

Sorry for this late update! Hope I still have my readers! I've been having a really hard time finishing any of my stories. T_T So sorry! I hope you guys like this chapter! Enjoy! =)