Three

Up on the Roof

What was only a couple of hours felt like a millennium to him. His interest towards the topic being taught had dwindled as rapidly as a bullet train and he heaved yet another sigh. Time was being a pain in the to him that day. He glanced at the clock and cursed under his breath. He could’ve sworn that the hands were playing tricks on him, rotating in reverse. He counted each and every second that passed, impatiently waiting for lunch hour to begin so he could leave and be alone on the school rooftop. It was stifling hot in the class, and he knew the cool air only the rooftop could provide was anticipating his impending arrival with a red carpet and a bouquet of flowers. But knowing that he had at least another ten minutes to pass, he leaned his head against the cool shabby class wall, his eyes unconsciously boring holes into the back of her head.

She was sitting two seats in front of him, but that didn't stop him from having a perfect view of her. She had her head to the side, focusing on the blackboard as the minutes ticked away. He liked the way her curly mess cascaded down her back. They were the darkest shade of black, and he noticed without fail that they were the exact match of his hair colour.  He wondered what it was that she wanted to tell him earlier. She was wearing an expression unreadable to him, and he was itching to ask.  Would she go to the rooftop today? Would he meet her there again?

He couldn't understand what it was about her that made her very intriguing to him. Maybe this is what it felt like to finally have human contact with someone, even though he barely spoke a word to her. He couldn't deny the fact that their first meeting was awkward; he even went as far as wishing she never came to the rooftop. But something prompted her to go up to the rooftop that day and they had met, albeit reluctantly on his side, but they had met nonetheless. Something had brought them together. He had no idea what fate meant, but maybe that was what it was.

The bell rang then, disrupting his thought process. Letting out a deep breath of relief, he stood up from his seat, noticing that she had stood up as well. Where was she headed to? The rooftop? Her head turned, and they caught each other’s eyes. Again, she seemed to be telling him something, but he just stared blankly at her, feeling confused. What was it that she wanted from him?

She shook her head and walked out the door. He shrugged as he too walked out, coming to a conclusion that he could not be bothered by all the hidden messages. Did she really expect him to interpret what her eyes were telling him? On that note, were they even close enough to be sending invisible messages? Maybe he was not right for human contact. It was too difficult to think about anyone other than himself.

He dragged his feet along the corridor, keeping his eyes on her back. She seemed to be heading towards the very same place he had in mind, and he rubbed the back of his neck nervously. Maybe he should say something to her once they were alone up there. He still remembered the conversation they shared that day, though one word from him could hardly count as conversation material. He had called her ‘pretty’ hadn’t he? It had shocked him when the word left his mouth, so shocked that he had no choice but to walk away. But in that moment, that was exactly what he thought of her. She had looked pretty, even with flour and egg yolk in her hair. What else would slip out his mouth today? His actions were unpredictable, especially with her around, and they had only met once.

 He stopped short when he rounded the corner. Someone, more specifically Zico, was accompanying her to the rooftop. He wanted to march towards them and remove Zico’s arm from around her shoulder, but he grabbed the wall just in time. Irrational was not him. He waited until they climbed the stairs to the rooftop before following quietly.

“You ok?” He heard Zico asked, his voice laced with concern. Through the small opening the door created, he watched them as a hawk would its prey.

“I’m fine.” She replied softly. He was pleased to notice that she looked slightly uncomfortable with the unnecessary concern Zico was showing her.

Zico took a step back and smiled at her, not realising that she was pushing him away. “I’m sorry that the kids here have been bullying you. I’ll make sure they don't do it again. If you don't mind, I want to make it up to you. How about we go grab coffee today after school? My treat.” Zico said.

He waited anxiously with bated breath for her answer. Would she agree or refuse? What would she say?

After what seemed like an eternity to him hiding behind the door, he finally saw her shook her head. Feeling happy, though he knew not why, he let out the breath he had unconsciously been holding.

“Thank you Zico sshi, but that’s ok. I’m fine, really.” She replied.

“Ok then.” Zico said in a voice that implied he was disappointed at her refusal. Nevertheless, he flashed her another smile. “Maybe another time ok? I gotta go. I’ll see you around?”

“Yeah sure.” Renee nodded her head.

Quickly, he scrambled to the darkest corner, watching as Zico walked passed him. Once he was sure the other man was gone, he emerged from the shadow and out the door, breathing in the cool breeze that caress his face. She seemed to be waiting for his arrival, because she had turned around the moment he stepped onto the roof.

He was not expecting the words that greeted him.

“You pathetic excuse for a guy! How could you just watch her do that to me? You could’ve stopped her, you coward!” She shouted to his face.

He was taken aback for a few seconds, feeling extremely bewildered. How was he to reply to that? But as angry as she was, the only thing, and word that ran through his mind was ‘pretty’. It was strange. Her hair was even bigger than usual and her eyes were blazing red but all he could think of in that second was how pretty she looked, despite almost wanting to bite his head off.

But what escaped his mouth, was not what he had in mind.

“But you’re nobody to me.” 


Chapter Posted on: Dec. 20. 2013

Another chapter is up!!!!  =D Hope you guys like this one! hahaha ^^