Two

Up on the Roof

He fixed his hair one last time, slipping on his school blazer once he thought the hair was good enough.  He rolled his eyes at his reflection, already dreading the day that hadn’t even begun. Skipping school was an option, but he didn’t think he could take anymore of the four walls staring back at him. The one bedroom apartment seemed to become smaller with every second he was in it, as if trying to squeeze the living daylight and soul out of him. At least at school he could escape to the rooftop, even though the students there did as much staring as his four concrete walls. His eyes swept through the apartment and his lips released an unconscious breath. He still remembered the first day he bought the place.

It was the end of last summer, the hottest day of that year. The sun was high in the sky, the heat unbearable. He had been walking for hours, with nothing but a small bag on his back when he noticed the ‘Room for Rent’ sign. God was being merciful to him that day. Just hours after being kicked out from his birth home, he had found another shelter. When the landlord showed him around, he had cringed unintentionally. It was nothing like home, but it was too good of an opportunity to run away from. The first night he spent there, he could’ve sworn he heard mice scattering around. The next day he scrubbed the apartment from floor to ceiling. He thought he could grow to love it, but with every day that he spent there, his hatred for the small apartment grew.

Just as he was reminiscing, his stomach grumbled. He was about to grab the piece of bread on his small kitchen table, but thought better of it. He didn’t know how long it had been there. His living quarter had become messy, almost as messy as the owner. He stepped out of his building, his hunger intensifying. He knew he wouldn’t last the day if he didn't grab breakfast, so he made his way to the nearest convenient store, ramen in mind.

He had settled for the spicy kimchi flavour, his favourite chicken flavour having run out for the day. Apparently, he wasn’t the only one who considered ramen as breakfast. He was sitting at one end of the table facing the window, waiting for his noodles to soften, when he caught sight of someone familiar.

Renee Lee.

And she was slurping the last of the chicken flavoured ramen. He gritted his teeth in annoyance. Since when did she come to this part of the neighbourhood? That last bowl of chicken flavoured ramen could’ve been his if she wasn’t around. He wanted to dislike her, one who stole his chicken flavoured ramen deserved to be hated, but as he studied her side profile, his anger faded. He was intrigued by the mere sight of her. Who was she? Where did she come from? And how could she last 2 weeks at school when she was the bull’s eye of everyone’s dart boards? He had never met anyone who lasted as long as she did.

As if sensing a pair of eyes staring at her, or rather at her bowl of ramen, Renee looked up and straight at him. She wiped her greasy lips with the back of her hand, keeping her gaze on him. He thought she was challenging him to do something, maybe even poke fun at her, but he, like their previous meeting, raised his eyebrow at her. He had better things to do than make fun of someone who meant nothing to him.

He looked away and delved into his hot bowl of ramen. It was much too spicy for his liking, but he was too hungry to care. He finished it in minutes, and stood up to leave. Stumbling out the door, he noticed that she was just a few steps ahead of him. He traced her footsteps, making sure there was at least a few feet between them.

From the back, she looked like any other high school girl. Shoulder length hair, slightly on the curly side, and a normal sized frame. Nothing stood out, save for the way she walked. She was hunching as she walked, as if she was carrying a really heavy load on her shoulders. Her footsteps were slow and shaky, and he thought like himself, she was dreading the day too.  

When at last they reached school, her footsteps slowed even further. He waited a couple of minutes outside the door before walking through the double doors. The sight that greeted him almost made him run over to her.

She had her books clasped against her chest, and one of the girls had pushed her against the locker, grabbing furiously at her curly locks. He couldn't catch what the girl was saying, but the expression on Renee’s face shocked him. He had never seen such a fearful look on anyone’s face before, let alone a girl. All of a sudden, he found himself running towards her. But when he almost reached her, he slowed down. Who was he to stop the fight? He watched them for a minute or so when someone else came over, and he breathed a silent sigh of relief.  

“Stop it, Nora.”

The girl, someone he recognised as one of the ‘prettiest’ girl in school, though he knew all that was on her face were plastic, looked up at the sound of the voice, her eyes widening in surprise.

“Zico! Why are you defending her? She’s nobody!”

 “I’m not defending anybody. It’s just too early for you to be so annoying.” He replied and turned to look at Renee. “Yah, you ok?”

Renee gulped and nodded her head. She knew just exactly who Zico was. He was the most popular boy in school.

When Zico walked away, he finally had a full view of her. She was sobbing quietly as she leaned against the locker but there was nothing he could do. He didn't know what to do. He supposed it was a relief that Zico interrupted the silly fight. He wouldn’t know what to say if he was to do it. He pondered silently. What would he do if he was the one to break up the fight?

Renee wiped away her tears, and her eyes once again caught sight of him. She stared at him for quite a few seconds before turning on her heels and walking away. He tilted his head to the side. She wanted to tell him something, but what? 


Chapter Posted on: Dec. 15. 2013

Another chapter is up!!!! =D YEAY!!!! Hahaha Happy reading! ^^