One

Up on the Roof

His sleek black hair was neat and immaculate, but his school uniform was the complete opposite. It was messy, as if he had been in a mud fight with two giant bulls. He was the best example of the worst student, yet nobody really knew who he was.

He was an odd ball, one that nobody dared approach. He hardly spoke a word, not even when asked by the classroom teacher. He had received a good many detentions when he first arrived at the school for his lack of enthusiasm, but the teachers had long given up by now. Nothing they did could make him open his mouth. His good grades spoke volumes though, and so come senior year, they finally left him to himself.

Other students stared when he strolled down the corridors, whispering behind their hands about this mysterious student. He had been at the school for most of his life, but nobody managed to break through his cold, almost non-penetrable barrier. He was always the centre of everyone’s attention, even though he often stayed hidden. He was like the sun, the heat which can be felt by everyone, yet impossible to see.

Being alone was never a problem with him. in fact, he cherished those moments when he was left with just his thoughts. He was so used to being alone he had almost forgotten what human contact felt like. He didn't even know what a friend mean. He didn't think it was necessary to have another person to talk to. His thoughts were enough to keep him company.

He had never cared about what people thought of him, but there were times when he felt suffocated with the immense staring. More often than not, he would always find himself at the school’s rooftop with no one to stare and ogle at him like he was an exotic animal at the zoo. There was nothing more serene than the silence the rooftop offers, no better companion than himself.

A contented sigh escaped his beautifully structured lips as he settled at his usual spot, a manga dangling lazily from his grasp. Just as he was about to delve into the world of Detective Conan, the door to the rooftop banged open and she stumbled in.

He rolled his eyes, cussing inwardly at the newcomer that dared disturbed his peace. He was completely hidden from her, but he had the perfect view of where she stood. Closing the book shut, he focused his attention on her.

Renee Lee.

He didn't care much for her. When she transferred to the school in the beginning of their school year, she was nobody, especially to him. Yet in that moment that she stood before him, soaked and dirty, she was somebody. He had never seen such an unkempt girl in his entire life. Her curly hair was unruly, and the uniform she was wearing was as filthy as his. But those weren’t what caught his attention. Streaks of tears wetted her cheeks; she was crying. And for the first time in his life, his curiosity piqued. It came as a surprise to him. He was never one to be concerned about anything other than himself.

Staying hidden, he watched as she made her way to the side of the building. She was shouting, though he didn't know who she was shouting at, nor did he catch anything that was being said. She was speaking way too fast for him to understand. She finally stopped to catch a breath, and when the tears returned, he finally understood what prompted her to shout.

She had been a source of amusement to the students at the school. On closer inspection, he noticed her uniform was stained with egg yolks and her curly mess of a hair was dusted white with flour. He couldn't even see her eyes, so dirty were her glasses. So she had been bullied again.

Almost at once, his blood boiled. He stood up and almost took a step towards her when he stopped himself just in time. Taking in a shaky breath, he sat back down. He almost revealed himself. But things never go according to plan. We are only capable of planning, but God is the one who make the call. At that exact moment, he knocked over the broken metal chair, sending it crashing to the floor with a loud resonating sound, sending both the occupants of the rooftop into a state of shock and surprise.

“Who’s there?” She asked, her voice laced with fear and anxiety.

He contemplated on staying hidden but he had practically given himself away with the chair so he stood up and showed himself. He couldn't see much of her eyes but he knew they widened considerably upon finding him just mere centimetres away from her. He stuffed his hands in his pants’ pockets and looked away.

“It’s you.” She breathed quietly. “Have you come here to make of fun of me too?”

He raised his eyebrow at her. He had no interest in poking fun at her. In fact, if truth be told, he wished she had never come to the rooftop. Only three minutes at the rooftop and he was already feeling angry, not at her, but for her. This bout of emotion was strange. And he was still trying to figure out why his blood boiled when he saw her crying.

When he kept his silence, she peered closely at him. “Why is it that you hardly talk? You’re obviously not mute. Maybe you don’t have much to work with. Do you have that little vocabulary?”

He wanted to reply, but decided against it. Instead, he reached for her glasses. Finding a clean spot on his shirt, he wiped it clear of dirt before returning it back to its usual spot on her face.

When he could finally see her eyes at last, his heart trembled in a way it never had before. He blurted out one word, only one, before walking away.

“Pretty.”


Chapter Posted on: Dec. 12. 2013

Yesh! A chapter is up! And thanks Babycocoa for being my first subscriber and commenter! =D i love you! ^^ To my other silent readers, please do subscribe and comment if you can! =D i would really appreciate it! Hope you guys like this first chapter! Enjoy!