[05] - Request ~Kyungsoo~ (4)

Cursed Chain of Heartthrob Tears

                “You have got to go!”, Jaerim went on bugging her boyfriend as they walked on their way back home. Ever since her eyes lied on the fliers, she knew Kyungsoo has to join.

                “Nope… I’m not going.”, he kept stubbornly replying to her.

                “C’mon, you’ve got the talent for it, there’s no way anyone would say no to my Do Kyungsoo~…”, she said childishly, pinching Kyungsoo’s cheek. Though he looked irritated, she knew he liked it.

                “No… okay? Just stop it. I don’t wanna go.”, he said, this time looking serious.

                “Why?”, Jaerim asked him.

                “I just don’t want to, okay?”, he replied, meeting her eyes.

                “Hey…”, she said, cupping his face with her hands. “You’re worried, aren’t you?”

                One look on Kyungsoo’s face and Jaerim knew what it meant. “I haven’t done it since I was a boy, okay? I’m not sure if I can do it. I’m not sure if they’ll like my voice. I’m not sure if-”

                Kyungsoo was stopped when he felt Jaerim gave his cheek a peck. She’s never kissed him before, and that really took him off guard. He stared at her in shock as she spoke. “Well, this is one thing I’m assuring you… I’m gonna be there, okay? I’m gonna be there, cheering for you, yelling ‘Do Kyungsoo Fighting!’ all over the place, I’ll bring a banner if you want, and I might even make a fanchant!”

                Jaerim felt pleased that she made him laugh. He’s been a little grumpy since she asked him to sing on the holiday event they saw on the fliers. She just thought that it was a good opportunity for Kyungsoo. The guy doesn’t even have plans for college, and Jaerim has been worrying about that. The only thing he seems to be compassionate about is singing, and Jaerim figured that maybe he can start a career and just carry on with it after they graduate.

                “You’re gonna help me practice, right?”, he asked her, as they reached Jaerim’s house.

                “Uhh~ practice…?”, Jaerim asked, looking as confused as she really is.

               “Yup!”, Kyungsoo answered, beaming at her. “You’re gonna help me every day after school and on the weekends. That’s an order.”

                “Oh well… as you wish, your majesty”, Jaerim replied, bowing playfully before turning to come in to their house.

                “Hey!”, Kyungsoo called out, making Jaerim turn back. “Stop doing things for me as my Noye! Do it as my girl!”, he yelled and winked at her before leaving.

 

                Kyungsoo went home, not daring to get the grin off his face. Yes, he’s worried about the event, but the thought of getting to be with Jaerim everyday without making any other excuses to their parents made him happy.

                They’ve been dating for a couple of weeks now. Ever since the ‘locker scene incident’, Kyungsoo’s fan mails ware slowly reduced, until there weren’t any at all.

                Everything was fine for him, really. Losing his image, fans, coolness, what-so-ever, nothing mattered to him. He didn’t care what other people would think of him anymore. All he cared about and all he knew was that Lee Jaerim will always be there to tell him how cool he is and how charming he is, all the good things about him. All of the sudden, the only complements that counted for him were the ones that came from Lee Jaerim.

                Things seemed to be going just as fine for Jaerim too. She’s the same as always, but not exactly. She’s still that same old cheerful girl that everybody knew. She still did that thing she does every morning, saying ‘annyeong!’ to every living creature she lays eyes on. Of course, Jessica Jung is still bitter as always, but at least she doesn’t treat Jaerim as a slave anymore, nor does the rest of her gang.

                Kyungsoo’s world has turned up-side-down since the day said Lee Jaerim’s name out loud, that moment he stood up for the girl he never realized he actually liked form the very start. And now that nothing is the same in his life, he’s not wishing to take things back. In fact, he doesn’t know how he lived like the way he used to.

                How could’ve he went to school for no reason? How could’ve he stood all those girls screaming and shrieking for him every single day? How could’ve he taken all those fan letters pouring out of his locker every time he opens it? How could’ve he let all that happen? And how could’ve he lived a life without Lee Jaerim by his side?

                Kyungsoo replayed everything that happened since the day he let Jaerim in his life, as he walked home. It was something that he never thought could happen in his life. It was something that he’ll forever give thanks to the Guy behind the clouds.

 

                “Was it alright?”, Kyungsoo kept asking Jaerim every time he finishes the same song over and over.  Jaerim’s been staying in Kyungsoo’s place every day after school until dinner, helping him practice.

                “Are you kidding me? That was fantastic!”, she enthusiastically replied.

                Jaerim seriously meant it. Kyungsoo’s voice is like the best one she’s ever heard. But they’ve been running over the same song for like the hundredth time now, and she’s starting to run out of complementing comments on Kyungsoo’s performance.

                “What? Jaerim-ah~… you see that note?”, he said, pointing out a note on the score of the song he’s been practicing. “That wasn’t the note I made, okay? I was FLAT!”

                “Oh~… well,”, she tried her best to think of some words of encouragement. “I-I’m sure you can sing it right on the audition.”

                “C’mon… what was I thinking? Signing up for this……”, he sat beside her in frustration, covering his face with his hands. “I can’t do it… I-I can’t… I just can’t.”

                “Hey~… Come here…”, Jaerim said, offering a hug. She caressed Kyungsoo’s back comfortingly as he wrapped his arms around her.

                “I know you’re nervous, okay? That’s normal, but don’t say you can’t do it. You haven’t even tried yet. You just have to believe in yourself. And if you can’t do that, then I’ll do it for you.”, she whispered to his ears. “I believe in you Do Kyungsoo. You can do it.”

                Jaerim felt Kyungsoo’s hug tightening a little on her words. “I love you Jaerim-ah.”

                A slight smile curved on Jaerim’s lips as the words left Kyungsoo’s mouth. “I love you too Kyungsoo-ya.”

                “Hey, lovebirds~!”, Jaerim and Kyungsoo automatically jumped to their feet as a familiar voice spoke.

                “Umma!”, Kyungsoo said in surprise, that turned into embarrassment. “Y-you’re home~…”

                “Yup! Now, come on, you two. Dinner’s ready.”, Mrs. Do said, giving them a teasing look before leaving them with blushing faces.

 

                Jaerim’s eaten dinner at the Dos’ place, but the food never failed to impress her. Like every dish was better than the last. “This is so delicious…”

                “I know, right? It’s the chef’s new recipe. I personally asked him to cook this for tonight. I knew you would love it.”, Mrs. Do said, gesturing in acknowledgement to the chef standing near them.

                She made a small bow to the chef, before turning back to her plate. She’s always felt awkward eating with all the maids and the chef watching them. She just couldn’t get used to the Richie Rich’s girlfriend treatment everybody in the house has been giving her. But still, she appreciated it all, especially how Mr. and Mrs. Do has been treating her like their own.

                She was living a fairy tale having Do Kyungsoo as her guy. It felt like ages ago when they were two worlds apart. But now, here she is, eating dinner with his parents.

                She’s been helping Kyungsoo practice for three days in a row now, but she never gets tired of hearing his voice, the song maybe, but his voice… no. She can just listen to Kyungsoo singing for the rest her life.

 

                “Hello?”, Jaerim said with a crooked voice, answering the phone in the middle of the night for like the tenth time now.

                “Jaerim-ah… I can’t sleep. I don’t think I can do It.”, he kept saying the same words over and over. Tomorrow is the day of the audition and Kyungsoo’s being too nervous. Jaerim already ran of word to say to him.

               “How many times do I have to tell you? I believe in you, okay?”, she said, getting stressed by Kyungsoo’s behavior. “If my faith in you isn’t enough, then just don’t go to the audition.”

                “I’m sorry Jaerim-ah… I didn’t meant to make you mad.”, Jaerim could feel the sincerity in his voice as she listened to him. “It’s just… I can’t put myself to sleep. I don’t know why. I just can’t”

                “Okay…”, she finally said after a long pause. “Close your eyes.”

                “Okay, they’re closed now.”, said Kyungsoo, who seemed to have obeyed her.

                Being so sleepy, Jaerim’s subconscious mind must’ve taken over. She began singing the piece that Kyungsoo was to perform the following day. She thought maybe he would be more familiar and more comfortable with the piece if he would hear it as he slept.

                After the song, Jaerim could only hear Kyungsoo’s snore from the other end of the line. She dropped the call and went to meet Kyungsoo in dreamland.

 

                “Where is she?!”, Kyungsoo paced back and forth backstage as the audition began. He was third to perform and Jaerim hasn’t arrived yet.

                “Where are you? They already started.”, he texted her again. He lost count of how many messages he has sent to her.

                He kept pacing back and forth impatiently as the second performer was called. He was beginning to worry when his phone rang, flashing Jaerim’s name.

                “Where on Earth are you?!”, he yelled at her without thinking twice. Last time Jaerim got late, she was beaten up by a bunch of Kyungsoo’s sasaeng fans. Anger, impatience, and worry mixed up inside Kyungsoo. “Please tell me you’re on your way.”

                For a few long seconds, Jaerim didn’t reply. “… Kyungsoo-ya…”, she finally said in a faint voice, almost like sleeping.

                “Did you just overslept?”, Kyungsoo said, as he remembered how many time he woke her up last night. He silently cursed himself for it. “Mianhae Jaerim-ah… for waking you up last night so many times.”

                Again, it took her a long time before answering. “… It’s alright Kyungsoo-ya…”

                “Jaerim-ah… I’m up next. I don’t think you’ll be able to make it.”, Kyung said, check how long there is left before his turn.

                “Yeah… I won’t.”, she said weakly. “Can you perform with the call going? I want to hear you sing.”

                “Sure… Great idea! Are you aright Jaerim-ah? You sound like you’re sick or something.”, Kyungsoo asked in concern.

                “Next! Mr. Do Kyungsoo!”, he heard his name being called.

                “Ya~… Jaerim-ah. It’s my turn.”, he said preparing as quickly as he can.

                “DO KYUNGSOO FIGHTING!”, hearing Jaerim’s usual  enthusiastic tone, made Kyungsoo smile before putting his phone in his coat’s inside pocket, not turning the call off, like how Jaerim requested.

               

                Instead of fainting on stage, Kyungsoo stood straight, feeling nothing at all, like his whole body went numb. He took a deep breath as the music started.

                He remembered hearing the same melody with Jaerim sitting in front of him. Though, she wasn’t really there that day, he could imagine her beautiful face.

                He began singing on the right tempo. He could imagine her smiling at him as he sang just like they how they practiced. He remembered how Jaerim sang the same words to him last night, the same tune, the same, melody. He could feel her presence inside his coat, near his heart. He could feel her listening.

                He went on with the song feeling the emotions in it, as his story with Jaerim flashed in front of his eyes. All those days that he walked the hallways with his head held high, those times he did nothing for Jaerim but to watch her get pushed around by everybody, it all seemed so far away now. It felt so long ago.

                What felt raw to him was the day she held his hand, massaging it. He could still remember the feeling of her tear dripping on his hands. He wanted to wipe it away so much. He wanted to hug her, he wanted to tell her everything’s gonna be alright.

                He remembered the sight of her having bruises and scratches all over her. He felt so angry with himself. How could’ve he let her feel that pain. How could’ve he let her suffer and do nothing. All the feelings went back to him as the music went on.

                The more words he sang, little by little, pain began to build inside him. Every second that passed, it got worse and worse. He realized how much Jaerim has suffered without him being there for her. Somehow, he felt so far away, so far away to give offer his shoulder to her, like he can never be there in time to wipe her tear, to pull her away from danger, to save her from pain. He felt so useless, like all this time he never really got to pay Jaerim back all the support, love, care, protection, comfort that she never failed to give Kyungsoo.

                All he thought about as he sang was Jaerim. He thought about how much he loved her. He thought about all his dreams for them, and all that he wanted to do with her. “I want to spend the rest of my life with Lee Jaerim.”, he thought to himself as he finished the song.

                That was the only time that her realized he’s been crying throughout the whole performance. He wiped his tears as the small crowd gave him a standing ovation. He made a ninety-degree bow before leaving the stage with his widest smile.

               

                He took out his phone as soon as he got back to the backstage. He was happy to see that the call was still on. “Jaerim-ah!”, he called out happily.

                He waited for her to respond, but all he heard was noise.

                 “Jaerim-ah… Lee Jaerim!”, once again he called out. But Jaerim was still not saying anything.

                He tried to listen closer to the noise in the background. There were many people talking, then a few, then a lot people again. Kyungsoo guessed that the phone was moving, too fast for a walk, too slow for a run. It was more like the phone was moving at jogging speed.

                Jaerim couldn’t be jogging right now. Something was definitely wrong.

                Kyungsoo dropped the call, feeling so worried. Then he dialed again. It took a little while before someone answered.

                “Jaerim-ah…”, Kyungsoo said her name, feeling terrified of what could be happening.

                “Hello?”, His heart skipped a beat as he heard a female voice answer, but it wasn’t Jaerim.

                “Who is this? Where’s Lee Jaerim?”, he asked.

                “Oh, I’m sorry. I’m a nurse at the City Hospital. Are you related to Lee Jaerim?”, his heart pounded as nurse said “Hospital”.

                “I’m her boyfriend. W-Why?! What happened to her?!”, he asked, his whole body trembling.

                Kyungsoo’s tears began flowing down his cheeks again as he listened. He fell on his knees at the words of the nurse.


[A/N: Thank You for not unsubscribing.. Sorry for that long hiatus.. I'm planning to write the next chapter real soon.. I hope you liked this one.. Feel free to leave your comments..]