You, Me and Baseball [TheNerd]

U-KISS One Shots

_______'s P.O.V.

I sat in the bleachers as I secretly watched the baseball game that was happening right before my eyes. The high school's baseball team was playing against a visiting team from another school. Our home team always played once a week against another team, I knew this because it was a secret little habit of mine. I loved baseball, regardless if I was watching or playing it. It may seem weird since I'm a girl that likes playing such a sport, but I felt like I could truly be myself when I did. The baseball team at the school was for boys only unfortunately, but I still showed my support by watching all of their games, even if they didn't know I existed. There was a particular player in the team that had struck my interest, his name was, Shin Dongho. His skills were amazing. He could bat the most perfect home runs, as well as pitch the perfect three-strike-and-you're-out balls. He was my role model. However, he was also one of the popular guys at our school, along with the other players on the team. Every girl would always try to chase after him, not to mention always watch and scream at the team's baseball games, which I found rather distracting.

The last hit was made as Dongho ran around the field. As he reached home base, the audience cheered, which marked the end of the game. The coach announced that our team had won against the visiting team. I smiled to myself as I saw the members of the team hugging and congratulating each other for another win.

The audience that sat in the bleachers cleared out, but the fan girls waited until the others that sat in the audience left. This was their usual routine, they would go up and congratulate the team personally. I really didn't mind, but what kind of made me a little annoyed with them, was that they weren't interested in baseball at all. They were only interested in the players themselves.

I waited for those girls to leave before I made my departure. I wouldn't want them to see me watching the baseball game. They'd probably think I was trying to take one of their beloved players away from them. I would usually wait until everyone left so I could start practising on the field, but I had to hurry home today so I could finish off my homework assignment.

"The coast is clear," I whispered to myself as I quietly made my way out of the school's field.

"Oh, _______! I was just looking for you!" I heard a voice say. I turned around to see who the voice belonged to.

"C—coach?" I stuttered. "Why were you looking for me?" I looked at her nervously.

"I need you to do me a little favour," she wrapped her right arm around my shoulder. "Only you can do it, no one else can."

"And what's that?" I asked her curiously.

"I'll be on leave for a little while, and I need someone to be able to coach my team," she stated.

I looked at her in disbelief, "M—me?"

"Yes, you. Who else would I be asking?" She laughed softly.

"But why me? I mean come on, I don't even like baseball," I scoffed.

The coach sighed, "Look _______, don't lie to me. Don't think that I haven't noticed you watching the team's games secretly from the side. I know you have seen all of them. You haven't missed a single one."

"So what if I watch? Is that bad? Have you ever thought that I just want to see them pla—" She cut me off.

"And I've also seen you practising late in the afternoon till night," she crossed her arms over her chest.

"H—how did you know that?" I looked at her in disbelief.

"Sweetie, it's hard not to notice someone on the field. Plus, I'm always here until late so I always see you. So what do you say, will you take my place until I come back?" She asked.

"I—I'm not too sure. I bet there's others out there that could do it instead of me," I rubbed the back of my neck.

"Are you kidding? If I picked one of the team's fan girls, they'd lead the team into absolute defeat," she shook her head. "It's you, I want you to take my place. You love baseball. Will you do it?" She smiled at me.

I sighed, "Okay, I'll do it."

"Thank you, honey," she gave me a bear hug.

 

***

 

Dongho's P.O.V.

"Hey Dongho, did you hear that we have a new coach?" My teammate Eli informed as the team made its way to the field for practise.

"Seriously?" I raised my eyebrow at him.

"Yep, apparently it's one of the students at our school," Hoon commented.

"Really? Probably one of our fan girls begged her for that position," I chuckled.

"I bet there would have been a reason for her choosing that girl," Kevin reasoned.

"Let's give her the benefit of the doubt," Kiseop added.

I scoffed, "Why should I? She's probably just going to distract us with her annoying squeals when we do something 'cool'" I quoted with my fingers. "I can't wait until coach comes back from her vacation so we don't have to see that annoying replacement." I added, "She probably doesn't even like baseball."

As we arrived on the field, our 'replacement' coach wasn't here yet. What kind of coach is late to their first meeting with their team? She's probably gossiping with her girlfriends on how she got to be the team's new coach by bribing our coach or something. I don't think we need a replacement, we can do everything perfectly fine by ourselves until our original coach comes back.

"Are you going to pitch or bat first?" Soohyun asked me.

"I'll pitch," I replied bluntly. I need to let this anger out from this stupid idea of a replacement.

Our team started a small game for practise. I mean, if we were known as good players, it would be a good challenge if we went up against each other. The seven of us split into two teams, Kiseop, Eli and AJ against Hoon, Kevin and I, while Soohyun was the umpire.

In our team, Kiseop and Kevin were known as the fastest runners since they were both light on their feet, not to mention they both had a pair of long legs. Eli and Hoon were known as the power batters, their bats always sent the ball out of the field, earning them a home run. Soohyun was known as the devil's pitcher, he was always able to pitch those three-strike-and-you're-out throws. AJ is practically the mastermind, he always maps out our games beforehand with the coach. Then there's me, I'm known as the prodigy in the team. I'm able to run as fast as our two fast runners, bat as strongly like our power batters, as well as pitch perfectly like Soohyun with those three-strike-and-you're-out throws. I'm the teams’ secret weapon.

 

As our little game finished up, it was about time to go home. Looks like the little replacement didn't show up at all. I scoffed to myself.

"Oh my god, I'm so sorry I'm late!" I heard a girl say as I turned around to face her. She was completely out of breath.

"Late? You sure are. Aren't you useless," I spat.

"Hey Dongho, don't be so mean," Soohyun defended the girl.

"She's probably got a reason on why she's late, right?" Kiseop smiled at her as she blushed in response.

Is this some sort of joke? Look at her, she's just trying to get close to us. If she was so interested in baseball, she wouldn't have been late. She's not even worth a minute of my time.

"So why were you late?" I asked bluntly.

 


 

_______'s P.O.V.

Dongho looked at me coldly, "So why were you late?" He asked.

His stare made me feel like running away to find a corner so I could hide from his intense gaze. "I—I was caught up with something," I stuttered.

He scoffed, "Was it so important that you had to miss the whole practise session?"

It wasn't my fault that I was late. I was on my way here thirty minutes early, but me having such bad luck, I ran into those fan girls of the baseball team. You would not believe how they interrogated me. All I knew was, is that I had to keep my distance from them and keep our relationship strictly professional, or they were going to hurt me. Typical.

"Anyway, go make use of yourself and put the equipment away," Dongho shot me one last glare before he turned around to leave with the others.

"Do you need any help?" Hoon kindly asked me.

"Don't you dare bother helping her, let her do it herself," Dongho spat.

"I'm sorry, he's not usually like this. I wish I could help," Hoon whispered.

"It's alright. I can do it myself," I whispered back.

The view of their figures got smaller and smaller as they continued walking away from the field. As soon as they were completely out of sight, I started packing away all of the equipment the team used.

"Why was he so mean?" I felt tears start to fill my eyes." I thought he would at least be a nicer person," I muttered under my breath. "I just have to do this for the coach until she comes back."

 

***

 

The week went on, yet everything stayed the same. Dongho was still acting ever so rude to me, while the other members kept apologising for his cocky behaviour. Even though things were like this between Dongho and I, it didn't mean that the others were the same. Hoon promised that tonight he would help me improve on my batting skills. Most of the team knew now that I loved baseball, except for Dongho. Every time I tried talking to him, he would just brush me away like I was some piece of rubbish.

"You ready, _______?" Hoon handed me the bat.

"Sure am!" I couldn't hold my excitement. I was actually going to practise with one of my favourite baseball teams. But, it would have been a lot better if Dongho was here too. He was my favourite member on the team. I guess he really hates me.

 


 

Dongho's P.O.V.

I sprinted back onto the school's field. As I was on my way home, I noticed I was only carrying my baseball bag, to my dismay, I realised I forgot my school bag. No wonder why the load I was carrying was so light, I was missing my other bag. It was bad timing too, since it was already getting dark. Why did I have to realise when I was almost home?! I mentally scolded myself.

"Where are you, bag?" My voice trailed off as I saw Hoon and _______. "What's she doing with him?" I hid behind the bleachers, trying to listen to their conversation.

"You're going to have to keep your body in this kind of position," Hoon stated as he got into the position himself to show her how it was done. "Hmm, maybe if you can pitch me a ball, you'll be able to see how I do it." He threw her a ball. As soon as it was in her sight, she automatically caught it. Nice reflexes.

"So I'll just throw it?" She asked.

"Yep, throw me your best pitch," Hoon pointed the bat at her.

_______ got into a pitchers stance as she mentally prepared herself for her throw. As the ball left her hand, my eyes widened in shock. Hoon missed the ball! He never misses! Maybe I was wrong about her, she is good. Her stance was perfect, not to mention her throw. She's just as good as Soohyun and I.

"Wow! Nice throw, _______!" Hoon went up to her and gave her a hug.

Why do I feel so jealous? It was just a hug from Hoon, it's not like that I like her or anything. I scoffed to myself. Or do I?

As they both released each other, I saw a smile appear on her face. She's so cute, why didn't I realise this before. Maybe I was too harsh on her. I thought that she was just one of those fan girls who were always so annoying. But _______, she's different. She actually likes this sport. I smiled to myself. However, the feeling of guilt was starting to churn inside of my stomach. 

"Hey Hoon, does Dongho hate me?" I overheard _______ ask. The sound of my name caused me to freeze as I felt my heartbeat start to speed up.

"Well, he's just... How do you say this," He rubbed the back of his head.

"It's just I thought you were the same as those other girls," I revealed myself from my hiding spot. I saw her freeze in shock at my sight.

"I—I'm sorry, I—I better leave," she stuttered as she gathered her things.

"Wait," I grabbed her arm, turning her around to face me. "Just let me explain, I didn't know you actually loved baseball."

"Well I do, just like you. But you kind of ruined that for me," she bluntly stated.

I was slightly taken back at her straightforwardness. "Your pitches were amazing, if you'd like, I can help you with your batting instead of Hoon."

She bit her lip in thought, "I think I'll be fine."

_______ got out of my grasp. I couldn't let her go like this. When will there be another chance that I'll be able to meet another person who shares the same passion as me? I mentally decided, she was going to be mine.

I quickly caught up to her, "_______, wait!" She didn't stop to turn around, instead she fastened her pace. I picked up my own, as soon as she was in my reach, I extended my arms forward, turning her around once again to face me as I placed my lips onto her own soft pink ones.

I slowly took my lips off her own, "I'm so sorry, will you give me another chance?"

Her face turned a light shade of pink as she nodded. I pulled her into a hug, "I don't want to lose someone like you." I smiled, "A person like you only comes around once in a lifetime. It'll be you, me and baseball."

 


 

Hey everyone! It's TheNerd here :D I hope you enjoyed the first one shot of our collection, featuring U-KISS' maknae, DongHo! 

Feel free to leave a comment telling me how it was :)