04 Henber- Steadfast tin soldier

No ordinary fairytales

"Tin soldier," said the goblin, "don't wish for what does not belong to you."

Henber - Steadfast tin soldier (by Hans Christian Andersen)


"kkkkkkkk dude the show was so funny! lmao XDXDXD" Henry kicks off his shoes and throws himself on the floor while looking at the latest text he has got, tonight he has got quite a lot of texts since the show "real man" has been on. He lets out a bitter smile and replies, "glad you like it :)" and puts down his phone on the table while walks off to his room to get some sleep after a long day.
He has put into the army to be a soldier, but he feels like he is the tin soldier, a imperfect one, born with defect, not the "perfect" idol his fans call him.
"Tin soldier," said the goblin, "don't wish for what does not belong to you."
The sentence rings in his mind, as if laughing at him like the world has not done that to him; he closes his eyes trying to shut off the annoying voice, but can't.
"Yea you're right now shut up and let me sleep." He forgot to put his phone on charge, the light of the screen dies off slowly with the name "Amber" fades off.


"glad you like it :)"
Amber stares at the text she has got since the moment she has got up, she could totally visualize the face of Henry when he sent the text-- the bitterness and helplessness he has got, though he sent a smiley to her, she is pretty sure that there was not any smile on his face when he sent it.
"Unnie is Amber unnie alright?" Suli sneaks into the kitchen and asks Victoria worriedly.
"Unnie do u hitting Amber unnit would fix her?" Krystal appears on the side of Suli and tries to steal some food, only Victoria finds out and gives her a deadly glare.
"Argggghhhh Unnie I can't stand it, I'm asking Amber unnie!" Luna lets out her amazing voice (scream), only Victoria stops her and pulls her back to the kitchen again.
"Unnie!"
"Shhhhhh!" Victoria shuts the anxious children, says quietly to them, "do u know whose text Amber is looking at?"
"That's Henry oppa's......." Suli answers, and immediately the fx members got their answers.
"That's Amber's own problem and she has to solve it herself." Victoria smiles, "so children, do u want to help me make dinner?"
"Ummmmm I have got singing practice! Lalalalala!"
"I....I..... I think Jessica told me to call our parents, better go!"
"Unnie I need to go....."
"Sigh! I knew it, u guys only know how to eat!" Victoria turns back to check on the kimchi pot. "Sigh single parenting is a tough thing, especially when you have 4 daughters......."

On the other hand, Amber, who is totally unaware of the discussion going on about her; she is still troubled by the text Henry has sent her. They have been through a lot together, therefore no matter what, they would tell each other the truth; but this time Henry is hiding away his sadness from her and she wants to know why.
Making up her mind, she sends him a text "Letz have dinner tgt, wait for me in the practice room after ur dance class." She knows all his schedules by heart.
"Vic-unnie I'm going out, not staying for dinner!" And she runs off.
"Why do I feel like I'm really being a mother.......?" Victoria is deep in her thought to think about how did she become a mother of 4 at the age of 20 something.


"Hyung, do you have a charger? I forgot to put my phone on charge yesterday!" Henry looks at his phone dies out, looking for his dearest hyungs for help.
"Oh henry-ah! Hyung needs to use it too, but I'll ask manager hyung to bring you one, he is coming."
"Thanks hyung!" Henry gives his hyung a hamster smile and puts his phone down on the top of the desk, didn't expect that Amber is actually driving to SM for him. The busy schedule makes him really tired, but it's better than staying at home and doing nothing, letting those negative thoughts to occupy his mind.
But ever after he has been to Korea, he has learned much; he kept his bright side to the public, and his dark side is stayed deep within his heart, he used to play violin to express the sadness; but now, he is occupied by all sorts of works given by the company.
He thought it was fun going on to the variety show, being an "army boy"; but it turns out his company, his manager and even his hyungs have lied to him about the show, made him look like a clown. The public loves it, and so do the production team and his company; but no one ever asked does he like it.
This is Henry Lau, the silly boy on "real man", dreaming to be a cool soldier like the ones appear on Hollywood films, but it turns out he is the deformed tin soldier, always missing something and doing things wrong.
But still, he has his own dreams and goals, putting in his effort to achieve the things he has longed for; being through all those journeys and hardship, chasing the "unrealistic" dream of being a kpop star.
"Hey I like this song! Don't give it up yet! It's not bad, it's just imcomplete!" Her voice echoes in his mind. That was the time before he goes into Berkely, he was making a song but it just doesn't sound right anyhow; he was about to throw it away when Amber comes in and said that to him. That motivated him to go and study in Berkely, thinking that she is the same as him, that someone truely understands himself. Though he was wrong, she does understand him; but she is not the same as him, she is brighter, a true star unlike him. 
Just like the tin soldier thinks that the dancer has also only one leg.
"Hyung, I'm going out for a bit." Henry plugs in his mp3 and goes out for a walk, the tune playing is the completed song, though he never has the courage to play it in front of everyone, especially her.


"Oppa, where did henry go?" Amber kicks in to the practice room only to find that Henry has gone out before she arrived.
"He didn't say, but I think you could wait here, he left his phone here so he would be back for it." Ryeowook answers while packing up his bag.
"That stupid snoopy!" Amber finds herself quite angry.
"Maybe you could---" "Bye oppa!"
"Aishhhh! Nowaday kids....... running off without listening to other people." 
"That STUPID. SNOOPY!!!!!!" Amber kicks the rock on the road while she walks on the street. After debut, she hasn't been walking on the street in this early hours for so long, afraid of being attacked by fans; but now, because of Henry, she does not care the people around are talking about her, walking along the Han river to look for Henry.
Even Henry didn't tell anyone where did he go, Amber knows Henry must be staying in his "secret hide-out"-- or it should be THEIR "secret hide-out" ever since she has found him there. Everytime when he felt struggling, he would go their, listen to music, watch the tides and let the negative emotion to sink in; then he would become the normal cheerful Henry again, only she knows how many sadness he has buried there. He treasured the place very much, and so does she; she hasn't told anyone about it, she even prevented anyone going near the place. It's a special place for Henry and her.
She has seen him fall, but she has also witnessed how he got up again; therefore he has always been the role model she is following, to insist on realizing the dreams, to be positive no matter what. He has encouraged her for so many times, now it's time for her to repay the favour.
"Snoopy!" She shouts out.


Henry let himself sit on a piece of rock under the shade, let himself sink into his thoughts, he has not been that quiet for a long time. He feels safe in this place, a secret one only himself and the one other person know about it. The melody of his song hits his eardrum, only making him more emotional but still he does not want to stop playing it.
But he hears the familiar voice shouting his nickname "Snoopy!"
He turns and finds the other person on this world knowing his secret hide-out walking towards him, completing his world.
"He felt himself melting away"
"Hey Amber!" He greets her, trying to hide away his worries.
"What are you doing here stupid snoopy Henry Lau!!!!!!" That's more like a statement than a question, and Henry knows perfectly that she is angry, watching her walking towards him, he is a bit scared that she is going to hit him hard, only she throws herself into him and hugs him tightly.
"Amber......" He wanted to cry, since when has he become so emotional?
"Stupid snoopy! You could have told me about everything! I was so worried about you." Her voice trembles, but the words warm his heart so much. "If you are feeling sad, but you could have talked to me! But don't ever pretend you are happy in front of me! I...I...." She sound like she wants to cry, and her arms are losing the strength.
"Do u not trust me? Why can't I help you to relief your sadness?"
"It's not like that Amber." He tightens the hug again, he feels like he has gotten the energy back. "Thanks for being here."
He looks at her and gives her the "snoopy smile", and Amber laughs.
"Don't ever do it again!" She hits him on the arm.
"I would not." He smiles, holding her hand and sit on the rock. They both fell in silence, watching the sun set, sharing the headphones and holding onto each others' hands.
No words are needed.
"He felt himself melting away, but he still remained firm withi his gun on his shoulder"
He's a soldier, fighting for the one and place he loves.
"Call me army boy Amber!"
"You're forever a snoopy."